• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

Trade for a new back up?

Rate this topic

How about picking up Mike Smith from Tampa? If Ozzie is really out the rest of the year then LTIR provides enough clearance with Smith. I know he has s***ty numbers, but he was pretty good in Dallas and early on with Tampa. Dan Ellis would be another good option, but I think Smith is on the outs down there because he's been around a while where Ellis is the new guy, and he's Yzerman's guy.

Edited by eva unit zero

I never said there shouldn't be any discussion, just that this is a stupid idea and the thread needs to be closed.

"HEY GUYS I KNO LETS TRADE SUM1 FOR A GOALIE THATS WORSE THEN JMAC AND LETS PAY HIM MORE TOO"

I mean, really?

wow...unreal...well I can tell that you never even READ my original post because if you had, you would know that it was completely hypothetical...not that you would know what that means so I will lay it out for you...

if you would have read this : "hey guys I just thought I would put together a list of goalies that the Wings might be interested in acquiring providing they do not want to use McDonald as Howards back up and also providing Osgood will be out possibly for the remainder of the season..."

then you would understand that the point of this thread was completely hypothetical that the Wings brass decided NOT to go with MacDonald...if they do indeed decide to go with him for the remainder of the season, I am perfectly fine with that and have full confidence in him, but the brass might not want to do that because if he is up for an extended period of time he is no longer waiver exempt...

it was just to hopefully get a discussion going but you dont seem to know how to participate in one...so dont worry about it

oh and please dont pretend to quote me...its just makes you look like an ass...

love, robb himself

wow...unreal...well I can tell that you never even READ my original post because if you had, you would know that it was completely hypothetical...not that you would know what that means so I will lay it out for you...

if you would have read this : "hey guys I just thought I would put together a list of goalies that the Wings might be interested in acquiring providing they do not want to use McDonald as Howards back up and also providing Osgood will be out possibly for the remainder of the season..."

then you would understand that the point of this thread was completely hypothetical that the Wings brass decided NOT to go with MacDonald...if they do indeed decide to go with him for the remainder of the season, I am perfectly fine with that and have full confidence in him, but the brass might not want to do that because if he is up for an extended period of time he is no longer waiver exempt...

it was just to hopefully get a discussion going but you dont seem to know how to participate in one...so dont worry about it

oh and please dont pretend to quote me...its just makes you look like an ass...

love, robb himself

But it's a nonsensical thread, because there's no way they're going to get rid of MacDonald for a goalie of equivalent stature, as I've already pointed out.

Sorry that you didn't think this idea through/you're embarrassed that someone pointed out that anyone that considers acquiring another goalie is not exactly the smartest hockey person out there. :ph34r:

But it's a nonsensical thread, because there's no way they're going to get rid of MacDonald for a goalie of equivalent stature, as I've already pointed out.

Sorry that you didn't think this idea through/you're embarrassed that someone pointed out that anyone that considers acquiring another goalie is not exactly the smartest hockey person out there. :ph34r:

Acquiring a more experienced/better goalie than MacDonald is not a bad idea if it can be done on the cheap. If Ozzie is done for the year, and Howard goes down or turns Swiss, what next? MacDonald? Stick with Jimmy and kill him mentally forever?

My top five realistic potential goaltenders to acquire if Ozzie is out for the year:

In order of likelihood:

Johan Hedberg, N.J.

Alex Auld, Mtl.

Jose Theodore, Min.

Brian Boucher, Phi.

Mike Smith, T.B.

In order I would prefer them:

Mike Smith, T.B.

Brian Boucher, Phi.

Alex Auld, Mtl.

Jose Theodore, Min.

Johan Hedberg, N.J.

Pick up a guy like Mike Smith who has talent and is just having a bad year? How about a proven vet like Boucher who has carried his team deep into the playoffs. Or simply an experienced backup like Auld, Theodore, or Hedberg, who are all better than MacDonald and have playoff experience.

Acquiring a more experienced/better goalie than MacDonald is not a bad idea if it can be done on the cheap. If Ozzie is done for the year, and Howard goes down or turns Swiss, what next? MacDonald? Stick with Jimmy and kill him mentally forever?

My top five realistic potential goaltenders to acquire if Ozzie is out for the year:

Except that Ozzie isn't done for the year; nothing has said that he is. Holland said that were the Wings to get Nabokov, we'd roll with 3 goalies the rest of the season once Ozzie was back.

You won't get a goalie who's putting up .900 sv% and higher numbers for cheaper than Jmac, especially as we'd have to give something up to get them, where we don't have to give up anything for Jmac.

Remember that Holland plays the long game, not just a one-and-done Cup run that he bets the farm on. You'd see a lot more impulsive moves from him, were that the case.

All that said, I've laid out the reasons that you're not going to see another goalie in Detroit this year. Howard/Ozzie/Jmac/(Pearce et al) will be it. Nothing from outside the Detroit system. Giving up a player or a draft pick for a mediocre goalie will not happen, and that's all the team can afford with our cap situation.

Edited by Theophany

Except that Ozzie isn't done for the year; nothing has said that he is. Holland said that were the Wings to get Nabokov, we'd roll with 3 goalies the rest of the season once Ozzie was back.

You won't get a goalie who's putting up .900 sv% and higher numbers for cheaper than Jmac, especially as we'd have to give something up to get them, where we don't have to give up anything for Jmac.

Remember that Holland plays the long game, not just a one-and-done Cup run that he bets the farm on. You'd see a lot more impulsive moves from him, were that the case.

All that said, I've laid out the reasons that you're not going to see another goalie in Detroit this year. Howard/Ozzie/Jmac/(Pearce et al) will be it. Nothing from outside the Detroit system. Giving up a player or a draft pick for a mediocre goalie will not happen, and that's all the team can afford with our cap situation.

Your entire take on this entire thread is asinine - This was, and has been, nothing more than a discussion on the "what ifs" - Something that message boards are intended for...

With half the other crap that flies on this board that is actually out in left field and almost merits no discussion, this topic is actually legit and worth, if nothing else, DISCUSSING

Just as Maltby was "coming back" last year, Osgood has now had his groin operated on twice and is a GOALIE, to just assume he WILL be back is ignorant and closed minded...

Furthermore, no one in this thread has even even hinted that Holland "sell the farm" for a backup, so to say it has ANY connection to a "one and done" move is ridiculous, it would most likely be a low pick and/or low level prospect in exchange for a BACKUP goalie, we're not looking for a young Martin Brodeur in his prime here...

If you want nothing to do with a thread, ignore it, but your continual take on this topic has been myopic at best and has added nothing of context to this thread...

Edited by stevkrause

In order of likelihood:

Johan Hedberg, N.J.

Alex Auld, Mtl.

Jose Theodore, Min.

Brian Boucher, Phi.

Mike Smith, T.B.

In order I would prefer them:

Mike Smith, T.B.

Brian Boucher, Phi.

Alex Auld, Mtl.

Jose Theodore, Min.

Johan Hedberg, N.J.

Pick up a guy like Mike Smith who has talent and is just having a bad year? How about a proven vet like Boucher who has carried his team deep into the playoffs. Or simply an experienced backup like Auld, Theodore, or Hedberg, who are all better than MacDonald and have playoff experience.

I doubt very seriously that any contending team would trade their backup lest he were awful, at which point Kenny probably wouldn't want him either.

Smith- NO, has been so awful that Steve shopped for another goal.

Auld, Theodore- NO, see comment on contender above.

Boucher-No, and the biggest no of all. Philly probably isn't remotely considering going into a playoffs in which they don't have an experianced veteran to turn to. On top of that, Boucher has been a playoff performer before.

Hedberg- Only real possibility here and I, for one, will pass. He should only be considered if Osgood is done for the year.

Here's who I believe to be a reasonable dark horse candidate:

Martin Gerber.

Should cost next to nothing (5-6th rnd pick), performed well in his few games at NHL level this year, contract is up after season I believe, and makes somewhere around league minimum if I'm not wrong.

What about Michael Leighton (sp) he's the 3rd wheel in Philly, played well for them last year down the stretch and in the playoffs... he has some experience in the playoffs after last year and should be had cheap.

I 2nd the Defenseman.

Salei looked bad today.

One word- LEBDA...moving on

I actually think that Washington made a huge error in passing on Theodore. He provided leadership and had better stats than Varly last year for the Caps. Now look at the Caps without some of that stability. If you have seen any Wild hockey, he has been a big reason as to why they are only one point out of a playoff spot. I'd love Theo to join the Wings as an anchor back there. The guy won a Hart and IMO, is one the the most underrated back-ups in the NHL.

What about Michael Leighton (sp) he's the 3rd wheel in Philly, played well for them last year down the stretch and in the playoffs... he has some experience in the playoffs after last year and should be had cheap.

He's just coming back from injury and he's signed for next year. Otherwise it would make sense.

hey guys I just thought I would put together a list of goalies that the Wings might be interested in acquiring providing they do not want to use McDonald as Howards back up and also providing Osgood will be out possibly for the remainder of the season...

1. Johan Hedberg - New Jersey Devils - 15th in the East - $1.5 cap hit - last year of his contract - 5W 10L 1OTL 1SOL .891% 3.04GAA

2.Brian Elliott - Ottawa Senators - 13th in the East - $850k cap hit -last year of his contract - 12W 17L 6OTL 3SOL .897% 3.15GAA

3.Jonas Gustavsson - Toronto Maple Leafs - 12th in the East - $1.35 cap hit - one more year on his contract - 6W 13L 2OTL .890% 3.29 GAA

4.Patrick Lalime - Buffalo Sabres - 11th in the East - $650k cap hit - last year of his contract - 0W 5L 890% 2.96GAA

5.Scott Clemmensen - Florida Panthers - 10th in the East - $1.2 cap hit - one more year on his contract - 5W 5L 2OTL .924% 2.34GAA

6.Devan Dubnyk - Edmonton Oilers - 15th in the West - $800k cap hit - one more year on his contract - 4W 4L 5OTL .917% 2.81GAA

7.Henrik Karlsson - Calgary Flames - 14th in the West - $500k cap hit - last year of his contract - 4W 3L 4OTL .899% 2.66GAA +ROOKIE+

8.Mathieu Garon - Columbus Blue Jackets - 13th in the West - $1.2 cap hit - last year of his contract - 8W 9L 3OTL 3SOL .902% 2.66GAA

9.Ty Conklin - St.Louis Blues - 11th in the West - $1.3 cap hit - last year of his contract - 5W 3L 2OTL 1SOL .875% 3.34GAA

10. Jose Theodore - Minnesota Wild - 9th in the West - $1.1 cap hit - last year of his contract - 8W 7L 2OTL 1SOL .913% 2.66GAA

If we were indeed to make a move for one of these goalies I would love to see Gustavsson Conklin or Theodore...

this is just an idea folks...take it for what its worth

Go Wings Go!

Hedberg isn't a bad idea but I don't see him as being all that reliable to be honest. Elliot is way too inconsistent. Gustavsson is so shakey right now it's insane. I actually really like the guy and think he could become a realy player but he wouldnt help right now. But that doesnt mean I wouldnt want him. That just means I dont see him improving us today. Lalime is cheap but unreliable. Clemmenson definitely has good numbers but for some reason doesnt seem appealing to me. But maybe I have a bias against him cause he certainly has had a good year. Dubnyk and Karlsson arent getting traded by their respective teams I would say. Garon isnt going to get moved within his own division. Conklin is having a poor season but being in Detroit may change that and I did think he was solid during his year here. But it'd be a gamble. Theodore really has seemed to reenergize his career the last couple of years but he simply cant win in the playoffs and if we needed to fall back on him that would suck.

So, what's wrong with Larsson?

I really like Larsson and have always wanted him to get a shot with the Wings. Personally I'm hoping one day he gets a go at training camp. Right now it wouldn't make sense for the Wings to bring him over for 2 reasons:

1. He's unproven at the NHL level so he wouldnt bring a steadying force to the back up role

2. He started the season playing outside of North America so to add him to the roster they would first have to expose him to waivers - I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here people)

2. He started the season playing outside of North America so to add him to the roster they would first have to expose him to waivers - I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here people)

I don't think this is correct. Red Wings currently own his rights. This would work differently than with case Nabokov.

I don't think this is correct. Red Wings currently own his rights. This would work differently than with case Nabokov.

That's definitely possible but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that any player who began playing outside of North America...hopefully you'd be right though

That's definitely possible but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that any player who began playing outside of North America...hopefully you'd be right though

No, you're correct, I believe. The waiver rule is in place so teams can't bury players in the EU leagues.

I really like Larsson and have always wanted him to get a shot with the Wings. Personally I'm hoping one day he gets a go at training camp. Right now it wouldn't make sense for the Wings to bring him over for 2 reasons:

1. He's unproven at the NHL level so he wouldnt bring a steadying force to the back up role

Larsson started the season playing in Europe, but he is doing so on an NHL contract on loan to a European club. Nabokov was playing in the KHL on a KHL contract. Larsson could be brought up to the Wings without having to clear waivers.

How about Giguere? He always plays well at the JLA, especially in the playoffs. :hehe:

Seriously, though, our starting goalie is playing bad this year. I don't think getting a backup will help us, unless that guy is given a good chance to start. Something needs to happen to light a fire under Howard's ass.

This! Howard was a rookie last season and played like one in the playoffs. Is Holland willing to take that chance again this season, especially with the chance he may lose Lidstrom at the end of it. If they want to try to win another one while Lids is here, Modano, Draper, etc... He needs to make a move (which is why he signed Nabokov.) I'd like to see Vokoun here, but he makes waaaay too much money for the Wings to afford.

Larsson started the season playing in Europe, but he is doing so on an NHL contract on loan to a European club. Nabokov was playing in the KHL on a KHL contract. Larsson could be brought up to the Wings without having to clear waivers.

Yeah, thats very true about loaned players, but where did you see that Larsson was on loan to HV71, Eva? If so, I don't know why Holland doesn't have him here already.

Yeah, thats very true about loaned players, but where did you see that Larsson was on loan to HV71, Eva? If so, I don't know why Holland doesn't have him here already.

It's basically like a loan. Same with Hudler last year and Pulkkinen now for example.