• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

In other words, he has a bigger contract than both of our goalies, will probably sign somewhere else after this season, and has a garbage Sv%.

MacDonald is a better deal, and has played better this season, IMO.

Looking elsewhere for a goalie is why none of you are GMs; you look internally to see what you have and what can be had. Nothing that we can get right now is better as a backup than MacDonald for what we'd have to give up to get them.

1) We don't have cap space for anything more than a bare-minimum goalie, hence the Nabokov contract.

2) We won't give up anything for a goalie that's likely to put up mediocre numbers and be gone after this year.

So this thread can safely be closed, because it would be absolute idiocy to trade for a crap backup when MacDonald has been doing fine.

you are right...why bother trying to have a discussion about anything on these boards...seems to be a waste of time <_<
be about it!

#22 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

you are right...why bother trying to have a discussion about anything on these boards...seems to be a waste of time <_<

I never said there shouldn't be any discussion, just that this is a stupid idea and the thread needs to be closed.

"HEY GUYS I KNO LETS TRADE SUM1 FOR A GOALIE THATS WORSE THEN JMAC AND LETS PAY HIM MORE TOO"

I mean, really?

#23 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

I cant believe no one had brought up one the best goalies in NHL history.... DOMINK HASEK!!!!

he is having a fairly good season int he khl... which would pose a problem for trying to get him off his team now... but its worth throwing into the pot
To whom much is given, much is expected

#24 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

I cant believe no one had brought up one the best goalies in NHL history.... DOMINK HASEK!!!!

he is having a fairly good season int he khl... which would pose a problem for trying to get him off his team now... but its worth throwing into the pot

You think we can get Dom for a league-minimum contract and think we'd get him through waivers?

Yeah, let's gift-wrap another goalie for another bottom-feeder team.

#25 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

Hasek? Really? :huh:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#26 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

How about picking up Mike Smith from Tampa? If Ozzie is really out the rest of the year then LTIR provides enough clearance with Smith. I know he has s***ty numbers, but he was pretty good in Dallas and early on with Tampa. Dan Ellis would be another good option, but I think Smith is on the outs down there because he's been around a while where Ellis is the new guy, and he's Yzerman's guy.

Edited by eva unit zero, 23 January 2011 - 09:47 PM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#27 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

I never said there shouldn't be any discussion, just that this is a stupid idea and the thread needs to be closed.

"HEY GUYS I KNO LETS TRADE SUM1 FOR A GOALIE THATS WORSE THEN JMAC AND LETS PAY HIM MORE TOO"

I mean, really?

wow...unreal...well I can tell that you never even READ my original post because if you had, you would know that it was completely hypothetical...not that you would know what that means so I will lay it out for you...

if you would have read this : "hey guys I just thought I would put together a list of goalies that the Wings might be interested in acquiring providing they do not want to use McDonald as Howards back up and also providing Osgood will be out possibly for the remainder of the season..."
then you would understand that the point of this thread was completely hypothetical that the Wings brass decided NOT to go with MacDonald...if they do indeed decide to go with him for the remainder of the season, I am perfectly fine with that and have full confidence in him, but the brass might not want to do that because if he is up for an extended period of time he is no longer waiver exempt...

it was just to hopefully get a discussion going but you dont seem to know how to participate in one...so dont worry about it

oh and please dont pretend to quote me...its just makes you look like an ass...

love, robb himself
be about it!

#28 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:16 AM

wow...unreal...well I can tell that you never even READ my original post because if you had, you would know that it was completely hypothetical...not that you would know what that means so I will lay it out for you...

if you would have read this : "hey guys I just thought I would put together a list of goalies that the Wings might be interested in acquiring providing they do not want to use McDonald as Howards back up and also providing Osgood will be out possibly for the remainder of the season..."
then you would understand that the point of this thread was completely hypothetical that the Wings brass decided NOT to go with MacDonald...if they do indeed decide to go with him for the remainder of the season, I am perfectly fine with that and have full confidence in him, but the brass might not want to do that because if he is up for an extended period of time he is no longer waiver exempt...

it was just to hopefully get a discussion going but you dont seem to know how to participate in one...so dont worry about it

oh and please dont pretend to quote me...its just makes you look like an ass...

love, robb himself

But it's a nonsensical thread, because there's no way they're going to get rid of MacDonald for a goalie of equivalent stature, as I've already pointed out.

Sorry that you didn't think this idea through/you're embarrassed that someone pointed out that anyone that considers acquiring another goalie is not exactly the smartest hockey person out there. :ph34r:

#29 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

But it's a nonsensical thread, because there's no way they're going to get rid of MacDonald for a goalie of equivalent stature, as I've already pointed out.

Sorry that you didn't think this idea through/you're embarrassed that someone pointed out that anyone that considers acquiring another goalie is not exactly the smartest hockey person out there. :ph34r:

Acquiring a more experienced/better goalie than MacDonald is not a bad idea if it can be done on the cheap. If Ozzie is done for the year, and Howard goes down or turns Swiss, what next? MacDonald? Stick with Jimmy and kill him mentally forever?

My top five realistic potential goaltenders to acquire if Ozzie is out for the year:

In order of likelihood:
Johan Hedberg, N.J.
Alex Auld, Mtl.
Jose Theodore, Min.
Brian Boucher, Phi.
Mike Smith, T.B.

In order I would prefer them:
Mike Smith, T.B.
Brian Boucher, Phi.
Alex Auld, Mtl.
Jose Theodore, Min.
Johan Hedberg, N.J.

Pick up a guy like Mike Smith who has talent and is just having a bad year? How about a proven vet like Boucher who has carried his team deep into the playoffs. Or simply an experienced backup like Auld, Theodore, or Hedberg, who are all better than MacDonald and have playoff experience.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#30 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:04 AM

Acquiring a more experienced/better goalie than MacDonald is not a bad idea if it can be done on the cheap. If Ozzie is done for the year, and Howard goes down or turns Swiss, what next? MacDonald? Stick with Jimmy and kill him mentally forever?

My top five realistic potential goaltenders to acquire if Ozzie is out for the year:

Except that Ozzie isn't done for the year; nothing has said that he is. Holland said that were the Wings to get Nabokov, we'd roll with 3 goalies the rest of the season once Ozzie was back.

You won't get a goalie who's putting up .900 sv% and higher numbers for cheaper than Jmac, especially as we'd have to give something up to get them, where we don't have to give up anything for Jmac.

Remember that Holland plays the long game, not just a one-and-done Cup run that he bets the farm on. You'd see a lot more impulsive moves from him, were that the case.

All that said, I've laid out the reasons that you're not going to see another goalie in Detroit this year. Howard/Ozzie/Jmac/(Pearce et al) will be it. Nothing from outside the Detroit system. Giving up a player or a draft pick for a mediocre goalie will not happen, and that's all the team can afford with our cap situation.

Edited by Theophany, 24 January 2011 - 04:05 AM.

#31 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

Phx resign Bryzgolov yet?? lol

Eff Chicago

#32 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

Except that Ozzie isn't done for the year; nothing has said that he is. Holland said that were the Wings to get Nabokov, we'd roll with 3 goalies the rest of the season once Ozzie was back.

You won't get a goalie who's putting up .900 sv% and higher numbers for cheaper than Jmac, especially as we'd have to give something up to get them, where we don't have to give up anything for Jmac.

Remember that Holland plays the long game, not just a one-and-done Cup run that he bets the farm on. You'd see a lot more impulsive moves from him, were that the case.

All that said, I've laid out the reasons that you're not going to see another goalie in Detroit this year. Howard/Ozzie/Jmac/(Pearce et al) will be it. Nothing from outside the Detroit system. Giving up a player or a draft pick for a mediocre goalie will not happen, and that's all the team can afford with our cap situation.

Your entire take on this entire thread is asinine - This was, and has been, nothing more than a discussion on the "what ifs" - Something that message boards are intended for...

With half the other crap that flies on this board that is actually out in left field and almost merits no discussion, this topic is actually legit and worth, if nothing else, DISCUSSING

Just as Maltby was "coming back" last year, Osgood has now had his groin operated on twice and is a GOALIE, to just assume he WILL be back is ignorant and closed minded...

Furthermore, no one in this thread has even even hinted that Holland "sell the farm" for a backup, so to say it has ANY connection to a "one and done" move is ridiculous, it would most likely be a low pick and/or low level prospect in exchange for a BACKUP goalie, we're not looking for a young Martin Brodeur in his prime here...

If you want nothing to do with a thread, ignore it, but your continual take on this topic has been myopic at best and has added nothing of context to this thread...

Edited by stevkrause, 24 January 2011 - 10:14 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#33 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

In order of likelihood:
Johan Hedberg, N.J.
Alex Auld, Mtl.
Jose Theodore, Min.
Brian Boucher, Phi.
Mike Smith, T.B.

In order I would prefer them:
Mike Smith, T.B.
Brian Boucher, Phi.
Alex Auld, Mtl.
Jose Theodore, Min.
Johan Hedberg, N.J.

Pick up a guy like Mike Smith who has talent and is just having a bad year? How about a proven vet like Boucher who has carried his team deep into the playoffs. Or simply an experienced backup like Auld, Theodore, or Hedberg, who are all better than MacDonald and have playoff experience.

I doubt very seriously that any contending team would trade their backup lest he were awful, at which point Kenny probably wouldn't want him either.

Smith- NO, has been so awful that Steve shopped for another goal.
Auld, Theodore- NO, see comment on contender above.
Boucher-No, and the biggest no of all. Philly probably isn't remotely considering going into a playoffs in which they don't have an experianced veteran to turn to. On top of that, Boucher has been a playoff performer before.
Hedberg- Only real possibility here and I, for one, will pass. He should only be considered if Osgood is done for the year.

#34 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

Add Henrik Karlsson to the list of untouchables. Calgary still thinks he could be their goalie of the future.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#35 tdinc

tdinc

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

when the Detroit Goalie situation becomes a mess....WHO YOU GONNA CALL!!! :hehe:
Posted Image

#36 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

Here's who I believe to be a reasonable dark horse candidate:

Martin Gerber.

Should cost next to nothing (5-6th rnd pick), performed well in his few games at NHL level this year, contract is up after season I believe, and makes somewhere around league minimum if I'm not wrong.

#37 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

What about Michael Leighton (sp) he's the 3rd wheel in Philly, played well for them last year down the stretch and in the playoffs... he has some experience in the playoffs after last year and should be had cheap.

#38 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

I 2nd the Defenseman.
Salei looked bad today.

One word- LEBDA...moving on

I actually think that Washington made a huge error in passing on Theodore. He provided leadership and had better stats than Varly last year for the Caps. Now look at the Caps without some of that stability. If you have seen any Wild hockey, he has been a big reason as to why they are only one point out of a playoff spot. I'd love Theo to join the Wings as an anchor back there. The guy won a Hart and IMO, is one the the most underrated back-ups in the NHL.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

A buck for any Nyquist, Tater tots, Shehan, Jurco or Deke goal.
2 bucks for any Mule goal.
5 bucks for any Jimmy shut out
.50 cents for every time Chara, "Rat face" Marchant or Lucic is penalized.

#39 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

What about Michael Leighton (sp) he's the 3rd wheel in Philly, played well for them last year down the stretch and in the playoffs... he has some experience in the playoffs after last year and should be had cheap.

He's just coming back from injury and he's signed for next year. Otherwise it would make sense.

#40 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

So, what's wrong with Larsson?
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!