• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

I'd be happy to see Carkner take Salei's spot. He's definitely an ideal 6th defenseman and Salei is at the end of his career anyway.

They are even defensively I would say, Carkner just provides what Salei would have if he would've came here 6 or 7 years ago. Pair Carkner with Ericcson and I wonder how much more edge Ericcson would play with as well

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#42 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

They are even defensively I would say, Carkner just provides what Salei would have if he would've came here 6 or 7 years ago. Pair Carkner with Ericcson and I wonder how much more edge Ericcson would play with as well

Just because you wrap a tissue in barbed wire, it still won't make it any tougher ;)
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#43 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Just because you wrap a tissue in barbed wire, it still won't make it any tougher ;)

Haha this is true, but I really just feel like if E had a big badass playing with him and backing him up, he would play with more edge. He realy has a lot of potential on that side of his game, he could be an OK heavyweight fighter actually with some experience

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#44 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

ive always loved Chris Phillips for some reason...I know hes having a terrible year (0G 3A -22), but he has had some pretty good seasons in the past (8G 18A +36 in '07)

I know he is expensive as well at $3.5 but just always thought for some reason he would fit in well with the Wings and would certainly play better on this team.

Not saying we should go ahead and do it but just always liked him and may be able to help out if we see more defensive injuries.

And if not this season he may be worth looking at in the offseason for the right price.

Just a thought
be about it!

#45 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

I'd be totally cool with tossing them Salei + a pick for Carkner. Maybe even another, young guy... but he'd essentially be taking Salei's spot.

#46 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

As a 2nd team Sens fan, I do hope they blow it up (and maybe Pierre will the man to do it :wink: )

Whatever gets him off TV!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#47 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

I'd be totally cool with tossing them Salei + a pick for Carkner. Maybe even another, young guy... but he'd essentially be taking Salei's spot.

Carkner would be a perfect guy to take Salei's spot. Good shot blocking, hard hitting defenseman that is able to effectively kill penalties. This could be Ruslan's last season in the NHL.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#48 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:52 AM

Fisher also, is 4 years older than Flip, never won a Cup or married anyone with talent.

She has talent, just look at her!

Oh, you mean other talents.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#49 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

Keep Salei. Give up Ericsson or Kindl.

Uhhh... huh? Terrible, terrible idea. You think big, mobile, puck moving defensemen grow on trees?

Besides... we already had Carkner in the mid 90's and he was average at best. :ph34r:

Edited by Broken 16, 25 January 2011 - 06:22 AM.

#50 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

Uhhh... huh? Terrible, terrible idea. You think big, mobile, puck moving defensemen grow on trees?

Besides... we already had Carkner in the mid 90's and he was average at best. :ph34r:

Aaron Ward? Lol

#51 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

Aaron Ward? Lol

No... Terry... :)

Scotty got rid of him before the Cup runs. If I remember correctly, Yzerman wasn't too happy at the time. He was quoted as saying something to the effect of: "All he did was play great defense for us." Of course, this was before the team bought 100% into Scotty's defensive scheme and two-way play... so... plus Yzerman was a little disgusted at the time. He was fresh off the trading block himself. He almost went to Ottawa for Alexi Yashin. Lmao. Thank God someone (JimmyD, Ilitch?) pulled the plug on the trade.

Anyway, Carkner was a solid stay-at-home defensemen. I liked him. Great shot blocker IIRC.

Edited by Broken 16, 25 January 2011 - 07:07 AM.

#52 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

Yea, I'm only 24. Was just told I was in fourth grade when we won our first Cup. The first season I watched was 95, so as much as I hate to say it, I'm a little lost as to who your referencing.

#53 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

No... Terry... :)

Scotty got rid of him before the Cup runs. If I remember correctly, Yzerman wasn't too happy at the time. He was quoted as saying something to the effect of: "All he did was play great defense for us." Of course, this was before the team bought 100% into Scotty's defensive scheme and two-way play... so... plus Yzerman was a little disgusted at the time. He was fresh off the trading block himself. He almost went to Ottawa for Alexi Yashin. Lmao. Thank God someone (JimmyD, Ilitch?) pulled the plug on the trade.

Anyway, Carkner was a solid stay-at-home defensemen. I liked him. Great shot blocker IIRC.

Yup - a respectable #5/#6 stay at home Dman with the ability to drop the gloves on a regular basis...I liked him too, and was disappointed in seeing him go on to the Panthers.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#54 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/te...me=nhl-senators

Apparently Karlsson and Alfredsson are the only untouchables.

I wouldn't mind having Ruutu or Neil...

#55 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

fischer, neil
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#56 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

http://www.letsgowin...g-to-dismantle/

#57 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

Get Chris Neil or Carkner. How is it the sens can find 2 good tough guys who can play the game well but Detroit can't find any <_<

carkner has a few fights and some blocked shots, otherwise he DEFINITELY cannot play the game at a level that the wings do, too many undisciplined penalties, too many trims tripping over his own ass

Edited by jollymania, 25 January 2011 - 10:56 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#58 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

Filppula has almost 50% more points than Fischer and makes 1.2 million less than him. AND you want to give away a pick/prospect with Filppula? Does your obsessive fascination with men touching each other blind any logic or reason from your mind completely, or is it only 90%?

Its scary but I totally agree with you, if the Wings trade him they have to get someone who is a BETTER second line center OFFENSIVELY not worse with some fighting ability, Fisher IS a third line center. Newfy, this isn't NHL 2011 you can't just look at stats, some fighting videos and think hes going to plug in well. Filppula is a pretty good puck moving center and if he is to be traded with some picks/prospects the wings need to bring back someone who will provide more offensive upside than anyone like Fisher.

Edited by Shaman464, 25 January 2011 - 11:05 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#59 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

You must not watch him play, typical LGW post. This guy get in fight, he suck at hockey for sure.

He is used as a PKer, plays over 15 minutes a game and is probably a top 3 tough guy in the league. What does Salei provide as a 6th defenseman that Carkner does not. They really are similar players except Carkner is tougher (Oh I just answered my own question, hes tough, thats a lgw no no)

never said Salei is a better option as the 6th dman than Carkner, but Carkner has glaring deficiencies that have to be taken into consideration. its not a slam dunk improvement if we get Carkner for Salei like you make it out to be

Its scary but I totally agree with you, if the Wings trade him they have to get someone who is a BETTER second line center OFFENSIVELY not worse with some fighting ability, Fisher IS a third line center. Newfy, this isn't NHL 2011 you can't just look at stats, some fighting videos and think hes going to plug in well. Filppula is a pretty good puck moving center and if he is to be traded with some picks/prospects the wings need to bring back someone who will provide more offensive upside than anyone like Fisher.

bingo. Fisher does not fit our style or system. Fisher is a north-south dump and chase guy. he'll be useful maybe on our 3rd or 4th lines, but no thanks at that cap hit.

#60 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

Chris Phillips.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."