• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Wings Have To Toughen Up Soon

Rate this topic

tougher in front of the net both ends

you can really throw some people off their game when you get under their skin but its not key to winning games. Some times a good fight can turn a game around but still not very often. how often do you need a f***in enforcer in the playoffs, there is rarely any fights in the playoffs so its not even needed

although i do wish someone would step up and clear the front of our net.

Guys, Lidstrom isn't tough because he almost had one of his balls removed via a stick and missed two games.

I mean, really? The Wings need to "get tough"?

What the author really means is, "the Wings need to fight more, because I don't understand hockey and I want to see someone get their face caved in".

If we had a Dallas Drake-type ready to go, I'd gladly have him playing third and fourth line minutes, but should we go out and go after a guy like that when we have the potential in our system coming up in the next couple years?

We're one of the top 5 teams in the league every year. When that stops happening and lacking a fighter is the cause of it, let's go out and get one.

Otherwise, I'm completely content with us having more skill top to bottom than any team in the league.

When the wings win the cup every year, I'll be happy with the roster, but they are not and there is always some little thing that can be tweaked to make them better. Right now I think adding a Drake type player would only help this team.

Drake adding that element had a huge impact in 08.

Guys, Lidstrom isn't tough because he almost had one of his balls removed via a stick and missed two games.

I mean, really? The Wings need to "get tough"?

What the author really means is, "the Wings need to fight more, because I don't understand hockey and I want to see someone get their face caved in".

If we had a Dallas Drake-type ready to go, I'd gladly have him playing third and fourth line minutes, but should we go out and go after a guy like that when we have the potential in our system coming up in the next couple years?

We're one of the top 5 teams in the league every year. When that stops happening and lacking a fighter is the cause of it, let's go out and get one.

Otherwise, I'm completely content with us having more skill top to bottom than any team in the league.

I think you're missing the point. No one is suggesting the Wings trade for Godard, King, etc. The Wings don't need someone like that. However, Neil, Konopka, Rupp, etc can all play as well as Miller and stand up for their teammates. This isnthe type of player the Wings would benefit from.

There are a lot of players in the league that are usually cheap, and are tough, but can still play smart and put up points.

I personally like Clarkson, but there are a lot. Players that can score, are effective defensively and will fight if necessary.

When the wings win the cup every year, I'll be happy with the roster, but they are not and there is always some little thing that can be tweaked to make them better. Right now I think adding a Drake type player would only help this team.

Agree. I like the (healthy) lineup but still think we could benefit from a "playoff Drake" or a "regular season Prust".

esteef

Enforcers don't really win cups. They're nice to have, sure, but I'd rather have a scoring, producing forward...than just to fill a slot with an enforcer. Enforcers have a clearly defined roll in the NHL, but it is not a critical role for a team to be successful, and certainly not required for a team to win a Stanley Cup.

I don't know if this guy has been watching games or not, but it would seem more fitting if he wrote an article on our increasingly faltering defensive strategies. The Enforcer debate is what people who have no idea what they're talking about use to criticize the wings.

Guys who write articles like the Free Press article in the OP, are the jerk sticks who have written articles about the Wings being "Too Old" for the last fifteen years in a row.

The Freepress is only useful if you're old, and gullible. In order to qualify to be a writer for them, you have to exhibit a complete lack of knowledge of the subjects you're suppose to be covering. A grasp of English helps as well, but it is not essential :)

Edited by Joey v3.4

Enforcers don't really win cups. They're nice to have, sure, but I'd rather have a scoring, producing forward...than just to fill a slow with an enforcer. Enforcers have a clearly defined roll in the NHL, but it is not a critical role for a team to be successful, and certainly not required for a team to win a Stanley Cup.

I don't know if this guy has been watching games or not, but it would seem more fitting if he wrote an article on our increasingly faltering defensive strategies. The Enforcer debate is what people who have no idea what they're talking about use to criticize the wings.

Guys who write articles like the Free Press article in the OP, are the jerk sticks who have written articles about the Wings being "Too Old" for the last fifteen years in a row.

The Freepress is only useful if you're old, and gullible.

Like many have said, I don't think the acquisition of guys like D.J. King, Jody Shelley, David Koci, Eric Godard, Trevor Gillies, and Wade Belak will help out this team, but a team can never have enough guys like Brandon Prust, Zenon Konopka, David Clarkson, Jared Boll, and Brad Winchester. Guys that can play a regular shift and won't back down from anyone. Dallas Drake was the perfect acquisition in 2008.

You have unrealistic expectations of a hockey team in today's NHL. No team will win the Cup every year.

It also doesn't logically follow that adding an enforcer would allow the Wings to win the Cup year after year.

When was the last time a team needed an enforcer in the playoffs? I'd argue that the answer is "never".

You have unrealistic expectations of a hockey team in today's NHL. No team will win the Cup every year.

It also doesn't logically follow that adding an enforcer would allow the Wings to win the Cup year after year.

When was the last time a team needed an enforcer in the playoffs? I'd argue that the answer is "never".

This isn't about "Enforcers". You can never have enough guys that can play a regular shift and drop the gloves on your team.

This isn't about "Enforcers". You can never have enough guys that can play a regular shift and drop the gloves on your team.

Replace "enforcer" with "guys that can play a regular shift and drop the gloves" in my post, same thing.

We already have guys that can take a regular shift and will fight, by the way.

Replace "enforcer" with "guys that can play a regular shift and drop the gloves" in my post, same thing.

We already have guys that can take a regular shift and will fight, by the way.

who are these people you speak of?? don't say ericsson and abdelkader, they have turned down numerous fights this season.

It's always about enforcers. Same 'debate' as always. I put debate in quotes there because you can't really call it a debate when no one really disagrees on any of the salient points.

No one wants a one-dimensional goon. Everyone agrees a guy who can play and fight would be nice to have. We all know it isn't an absolute necessity, but we all admit it wouldn't hurt. What are we actually debating?

The only reason it's ever discussed at all is because most of us over-invest ourselves in our team, to the point of trying to live vicariously through the team. So when someone on the team looks like a punk, the fan feels like a punk. Or from another direction, the 'softness' of the team gets pointed out, the fan feels soft. It's all the same thing, just slightly different buttons that trigger our insecurities, and a different balance of aggressive/defensive coping responses.

There's your daily psycho-analysis. Reflect.

Turning down fights means they won't fight, now?

Yes Doc, just like hitting the outside of the post was nearly a goal when the goalie blocked off every possible crack and crevice the puck could have squeezed through within a three foot radius had it been on net. Just like if you catch the puck in your trapper, you should then dive in the direction of your catching glove to maximize the flashiness and make people think you made a super-human save.

Like many have said, I don't think the acquisition of guys like D.J. King, Jody Shelley, David Koci, Eric Godard, Trevor Gillies, and Wade Belak will help out this team, but a team can never have enough guys like Brandon Prust, Zenon Konopka, David Clarkson, Jared Boll, and Brad Winchester. Guys that can play a regular shift and won't back down from anyone. Dallas Drake was the perfect acquisition in 2008.

Yes they can. One, possibly two, no more than three on a team is enough if you want to win regularly.

Drake was awesome for us because he had a niche that he filled well. A whole team of Drakes will get you a lottery pick.

Plus, find me a tougher guy in the league than Holmstrom. He gets his ass beat more than anyone on a regular basis. Is he not tough?

According to the author of the article, no because he doesn't fight and isn't North American.

Moronic author aside, with a couple of exceptions here I think we're all pretty much on the same page. We want a "Dallas Drake type" who can play, hit and drop the gloves. They don't grow on trees, teams who have them are reluctant to give them up, and in a cap world their value is often over-priced (cf Chris Neil).

Yes they can. One, possibly two, no more than three on a team is enough if you want to win regularly.

Drake was awesome for us because he had a niche that he filled well. A whole team of Drakes will get you a lottery pick.

Plus, find me a tougher guy in the league than Holmstrom. He gets his ass beat more than anyone on a regular basis. Is he not tough?

He gets his ass beat but he never dishes it out really. The wings have some toughness yes, they can take a lot. Homer is a prime example, but you know whats even tougher and makes you tougher to play against for the other team? Dishing out some of that punishment Homer takes.

I would also say a guy who takes punches to the head from guys like Boogard and Orr are just as tough as Homer.

He gets his ass beat but he never dishes it out really. The wings have some toughness yes, they can take a lot. Homer is a prime example, but you know whats even tougher and makes you tougher to play against for the other team? Dishing out some of that punishment Homer takes.

I would also say a guy who takes punches to the head from guys like Boogard and Orr are just as tough as Homer.

Punching people and being punched...that does not make you tough. A goon with no skill might be tough, but not because he fights. Toughness is being able to overcome adversity in the forms it manifests itself as. For the Wings, it often seems to be an opponent where many of you guys start flipping out because we don't have an enforcer. But the Wings get through, because they have tough players like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Draper, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Osgood.

You can have your team full of Colton Orrs and Derek Boogards. I'll take a team full of Zetterbergs, Datsyuks, Lidstroms, or Kronwalls.