• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

The first mistake every event seems to make is to "get the local talent" for WHATEVER event they have. Just like in Detroit, where we wheel out the Temptations or Kid Rock for every event we can. And if we can't, we get the Romantics or Anita Baker, because they're FROM here. How about getting someone who is RIGHT FOR THE EVENT?
I HATE Nickelback and I want them all to go away as soon as humanly possible, but they would be better for this event than CLAY FREAKIN AIKEN? Isn't Hootie from that area? Dave Matthews? ANYONE else?

I'd love to see the Stooges and the White Stripes playing a show in Detroit. Those are some seriously influential groups. I don't know why people think Kid Rock is so good. He's awful, and everything he touches is s***.

#42 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

What's wrong with Nickelback, by the way?

Most trite lyrics since Foreigner :)

#43 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

Can you guys quit s***ting on Raleigh? In case you weren't aware, Raleigh, NC is not out in Hicksville with the people whose family trees don't fork. There's plenty of areas like that all over this state (sadly), but Raleigh's not one of them. There's a TON of transplanted Northerners from the Midwest and Northeast living there and in Cary (think Westchester, NY), so it's actually very, very non-rural/Deliverance. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is one of the most educated, affluent parts of the state.

For the record, wasn't s***ting on Raleigh at all, was just commenting on the Deliverence image. Apologies. I live in the UK so I can really say much since our society is going downhill and fast and would honestly love to visit as many places in the US as I possibly can!

Plus my University (University of Surrey for what its worth) is apparently twinned with UNC :) Our students go there for a foreign study year!

ive actually been to north carolina.
not bad of a place if you ask me.
it just so happens my friend goes to U of NC so whenever i go down and visit him i go to a couple of their games.

i take pride in where i live too so i get your reasoning.
majority of people (mostly idiotic americans) think we live in iggloos and s***e... :ph34r:
it was funny for awhile..now its just downright annoying! but unfortunately its never gonna die. lol

You must be very cold :ph34r:

I joke, my Auntie lives in Toronto. I'm a poker, I poke :)

On topic however, at least their only singing the National Anthems, but even then it could be much cooler....

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#44 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

"And just what's wrong with inbred rednecks?" asks she of that ilk, albeit from further north than the fine state of North Carolina.

I don't think they'll ever get a musical performance at a big event that suits everyone, but geesh... nothing screams "NOT HOCKEY!" like Clay Aiken.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#45 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

I power voted for Clay Aiken during his season of American Idol

Still, I'm not sure why The Big Game of whatever type it is really needs an intermission musical act at all. Give the tv viewers highlights of the sport involved, give me dancing bears that may or may not be thinking of mauling Dan Patrick, just something other than songs that were actually relevant 10-25 years ago and are now being trotted out again for the sole reason that the audience is familiar with them and can drinkenly sing along.

Edited by selkie, 25 January 2011 - 09:40 AM.

#46 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,403 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

... nothing screams "NOT HOCKEY!" like Clay Aiken.

:lol: @ the mental images I am forming, of the players' faces when they are subjected to this... and the entire charade of a showcase. Sad, sad, sad.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#47 beez35

beez35

Alex #37

• Gold Booster
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Bring back the NHL of the 80s and 90s.

The NHL of now is starting to remind me of the crap they called Slap Shot 2. With all the "family" and fairy nonsense.

Posted Image

#48 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Bring back the NHL of the 80s and 90s.

The NHL of now is starting to remind me of the crap they called Slap Shot 2. With all the "family" and fairy nonsense.

+1 this.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#49 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

The first mistake every event seems to make is to "get the local talent" for WHATEVER event they have. Just like in Detroit, where we wheel out the Temptations or Kid Rock for every event we can. And if we can't, we get the Romantics or Anita Baker, because they're FROM here. How about getting someone who is RIGHT FOR THE EVENT?
I HATE Nickelback and I want them all to go away as soon as humanly possible, but they would be better for this event than CLAY FREAKIN AIKEN? Isn't Hootie from that area? Dave Matthews? ANYONE else?

Not to get off topic but what's with all the Nickleback hate. :dontgetit:

#50 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Don't get it, either. Especially with the fact that Chad Kroeger is apparently a Wings fan with Kid Rock.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#51 howeaboutthat

howeaboutthat

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

"And just what's wrong with inbred rednecks?".......

You don't need to go to the south to see rednecks. A few years back a load moved up to the Detroit area and the city of Taylortucky was born. Yeehaw.

;)

As for the All Star Game, I've a 'Bob Probert's Greatest Fights' DVD I can watch instead. Now thats entertainment.

#52 soonboomer

soonboomer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

It's just un-original bad music.

#53 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Great, Chad's a Red Wings fan. And when he plays in Ottawa, he's a Sens fan. In Toronto, he's a Leafs fan.

He's also a musician who has made a lot of money off bad music. And I'm not jealous or a "hater". I just want them to break up or retire so I never have to listen to them ever again.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#54 RedWingskiddo

RedWingskiddo

blue eyed red wing lady

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Can you guys quit s***ting on Raleigh? In case you weren't aware, Raleigh, NC is not out in Hicksville with the people whose family trees don't fork. There's plenty of areas like that all over this state (sadly), but Raleigh's not one of them. There's a TON of transplanted Northerners from the Midwest and Northeast living there and in Cary (think Westchester, NY), so it's actually very, very non-rural/Deliverance. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is one of the most educated, affluent parts of the state.

that is ALL true. I think it got a bad image back in 02 when the canes made the playoffs for the first time and all the media called it Mayberry. Which was SO inaccurate that I even got a little mad. if i had my pick to move anywhere else in this state, and the beaches were excluded (lol), id go to raleigh. its an area that has had some GREAT expansion and cool stuff to do.
i will be going to the festivites on friday. im not setting expectations high but i know i will have some fun. play some skills games and see the trophies. hell, maybe get aaron wards auto on some wings stuff i have :ph34r: . there is a free concert that night too.. think its 3 doors down. they dont really do it for me but i may just stick around for it.
honestly, i think the whole thing was rushed when it was put together. news around here was the karmanos was just pestering the nhl and bettman for the ASG so bad that they didnt give any time to think anything through.
ill be at work on sunday so im alright with missing it.

and for the record Raleigh>Charlotte

Edited by RedWingskiddo, 26 January 2011 - 10:52 AM.

HUDLER!
all-star game is in raleigh.. which means you will witness the most weekend canes fans EVER.

#55 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Creed without the self important preaching in their music.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#56 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Next year's ASG in Ottawa, $10 that Carrie Underwood will be part of the entertainment

#57 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

Ok I see that the All Star commercial they keep showing no longer has Luong's name on the back of the goalie. Now they need to get rid of Sidney's name.

#58 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

I don't know why people think Kid Rock is so good. He's awful, and everything he touches is s***.

:thumbup:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#59 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

Well I guess that's just someone's opinion.

:thumbup:

esteef

I guess what I like is that he supports Detroit and not ashamed of where he's from. I'm from Michigan and I'm proud of it.

#60 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

This is know; from nhl dot com:

What items are prohibited at RBC Center?
The following items are prohibited at RBC Center: Bottles, Cans, Coolers, Liquid Containers, Alcoholic or Non-Alcoholic Beverages, Food, Fireworks, Illegal Substances, Chains, Studded Bracelets & Belts, Weapons of any kind, including firearms, Backpacks, Oversized bags, Laser Pointers, Aerosol Cans, Noise-making devices (i.e. horns, whistles, air horns, cymbals, bugles, etc.), Video & Audio Recording Devices, Camera bags, Cameras, Animals (with the exception of service animals)

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.