• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

weGotTheCup89

ASG Starter "to stay home" due to injury

Rate this topic

Stop saying it's a double standard. You don't understand the rule(i think it's a stupid rule as well). The rule is for people who just skip the all star game and miss no games do to injury. He has been OUT FOR TEN GAMES, and most likely will miss more after. His is not in violation of the rule what so ever.

I'm not defending the rule, I think it's idiotic on all accounts and I'm not even saying he should be suspended under the current guidelines, but the fact that no one from the NHL head offices is even objecting to his missing of the ASG IS a double standard, and there's no way to say it isn't... all reports are that he will be cleared for workouts by this weekend, which means, he'd be just fine to sit in a seat for a meet and greet and that's what all the hullabaloo was about. period.

Once again - BEATING A DEAD HORSE - I am NOT SAYING I THINK HE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED, OR FORCED TO BE THERE... just pointing out the inconsistency of the league...

I guess the main reason the league isn't slapping together bulls*** rules to try and strong-arm Crosby into attending the game, like they did to Nick and Pav, is because he was injured long enough ago (about three weeks) that his presence at the game shouldn't be anticipated at all. Unlike the Wings' players that pulled out at the last minute, as was perfectly within their rights before the NHL threw a hissy fit.

As long as Crosby sits out a game immediately preceding or following the ASG, he will not be suspended. Though I am kinda hoping he does play them and gets the same BS Lids and Dats got.

I'm not defending the rule, I think it's idiotic on all accounts and I'm not even saying he should be suspended under the current guidelines, but the fact that no one from the NHL head offices is even objecting to his missing of the ASG IS a double standard, and there's no way to say it isn't... all reports are that he will be cleared for workouts by this weekend, which means, he'd be just fine to sit in a seat for a meet and greet and that's what all the hullabaloo was about. period.

Once again - BEATING A DEAD HORSE - I am NOT SAYING I THINK HE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED, OR FORCED TO BE THERE... just pointing out the inconsistency of the league...

What rule is he breaking? Lids and Dats broke the rule they established. Crosby is not breaking that rule. Where is the double standard?

NO, sorry, it's time Bettman has to get grief for his double standard.

Bettman made this all about 'showing up' last year. The NHL had no issue with Lidstrom and Datsyuk not playing (and Pavel was every bit as injured and unable to go as Crosby this year), it was about showing up. We heard that ad nauseum from the NHL as to why the suspensions HAD to happen.

So, concussion or NOT, Crosby has to go or be suspended.

There is NO middle ground here per Gary Bettman. Don't like my viewpoint? Call the NHL...

I agree whole heartedly with you on this, but unfortunately it will not come to pass. Why? Because Cindy is Gary Buttman's little angel and he can do no wrong. I'm sick of this double standard bs - you did it to us without a care in the world, you either do it uniformly or you don't do it at all.

Edited by Kira

If I remember correctly the "Crosby Clause" was created when Lids, Dats and Crosby were going to skip the ASG because all 3 were banged up. Buttman got his feelings hurt and wanted them to at least show up for the festivities.

Not seeing where any double standard would be this year since Crosby is injured and not playing just as the rule requires.

It's still a double standard. Our guys were supposed to show up even if they were dead. Sorry, but you don't get it both ways.

Steve, you're like one of three people who think it's a double standard and there are inconsistencies (I'm not counting the people who are clearly Crosby haters no matter what i.e. Sydney, crysby,crybaby terms used in their "point" of argument). You're having to defend one sentence in your argument "Ad nauseam" because, maybe it's you who is wrong, and not all of us.

Edited by Konnan511

Crosby has a concussion, he is still not practicing and has missed a lot of games.

Datsyuk had a charlie horse that caused him to miss 1 period before the ASG. Lidstrom had tendinitis and missed no time. I think Crosby's condition is a little more serious, and it's probably not a good idea to attend an event like this with an injury as serious as his.

Doesn't matter. His concussion won't be worsened by standing beside people for a photo and answering questions from the media.

Crosby's given many interviews about his concussion in the last few weeks-- he clearly isn't laying motionless in a hospital fighting for his life. Giving those interviews in Carolina won't hurt him any more than it does in the Pens locker room.

If he has a medical justification other than OMG IT'S SO CEREAL GUYZ!!1!, I'm sure he can use it without penalty.

We all know the Wings, Holland, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom were "embellishing" the injuries to allow them more time to rest. Get over it OP.

And your evidence is...? Lidstrom has a well documented history of tendonitis in his elbow. Datsyuk missed the end of a game so clearly that injury wasn't fake. The Wings wouldn't make him sit a period out to allow them to justify his resting later.

Doesn't matter. His concussion won't be worsened by standing beside people for a photo and answering questions from the media.

Crosby's given many interviews about his concussion in the last few weeks-- he clearly isn't laying motionless in a hospital fighting for his life. Giving those interviews in Carolina won't hurt him any more than it does in the Pens locker room.

If he has a medical justification other than OMG IT'S SO CEREAL GUYZ!!1!, I'm sure he can use it without penalty.

Yep there is no difference in the amount of attention/media given to him in his locker room compared to the All Star game weekend. :rolleyes:

...I'm having a hard time telling if this is serious or not.

I'm dead serious. If he can play now, then he could play in a ASG. These games on the regular schedule are much more physical than the ASG will be.

The Wings know what happened last time their guys sat out and it should be the same this time. It's a win for them anyway, he gets the break off and an extra game.

I'm dead serious. If he can play now, then he could play in a ASG. These games on the regular schedule are much more physical than the ASG will be.

The Wings know what happened last time their guys sat out and it should be the same this time. It's a win for them anyway, he gets the break off and an extra game.

He wasn't chosen for the ASG so he didn't actually break any rules though. But it's just another loophole in NHL policy.

He wasn't chosen for the ASG so he didn't actually break any rules though. But it's just another loophole in NHL policy.

Oh, I just assumed he was since they kept talking about him not going.....

Oh, I just assumed he was since they kept talking about him not going.....

From my understanding, the Red Wings organization contacted the NHL and requested that Z not be chosen. They agreed, nullifying Z of breaking the rule in question.

From my understanding, the Red Wings organization contacted the NHL and requested that Z not be chosen. They agreed, nullifying Z of breaking the rule in question.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

People have been embellishing injuries for years to skip All Star Games.

Any serious cup contender appreciates the All Star Break more for it's rest and recuperation value.

Crosby has missed ten games. I think in a league where concussions and head shots and stuff are becoming a progressively bigger issue, the league would look like a bunch of hypocrites if they disciplined Crosby in any way for skipping it because of a concussion. Imagine how horrible it would look on the league if he played and sustained an even greater head injury?

The only reason it is even an issue is that the NHL knows there are half a million Crosby Fan-boi's out there, who won't watch any hockey game unless Crosby is playing. The ASG is a big ticket item for the NHL, and they're trying to make it even bigger this year than ever before......it really kinks their plans when the poster boy for the NHL (And for Big kids Diapers), misses out on the event. Hell, as it is it's the number 1 news item on every damn hockey site.

It's a shame IMO that players can't voluntarily decline the ASG. But then hardly any serious playoff teams would send anybody.

I think it should be as follows:

Each NHL team should be required to send one player to the ASG, but in the case of Pittsburgh where three players were selected (I think, didn't really look it up), two in theory should be able to opt out of the game. It seems crappy to me that they can pick three guys from a playoff contending team, and force them all to work all weekend, while the rest of the league takes those days off. I guess it's what they get paid the big money for......but as a potential cup finalist....I sure as hell wouldn't want three of my top guys wasting time and risking injury in a game that is worth absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I like the skills competition, but IMO the ASG is a joke, and is lately becoming a HUGE distraction in the NHL.

Technically, if Crosby plays tomorrow, he would be in violation of the rule if he then skipped the ASG. Doesn't look like he will though, so nothing to discuss really.

However, Crosby certainly should be suspended a game for skipping the ASG two years ago, since it was just a made up rule that allowed him to weasel out of it back then.

Crosby will be missing the game before the all star game and most likely the game after. There is no double standard here and Crosby should not be suspended. However, Crosby is a big complainer.

Talk about an inflated self-worth.

Over a week after this rumor was squashed you bring it up like it is fact again.

Honestly, not every rumor that paints Crosby as the bad guy is true. Stop regurgitating garbage.