• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Your not even stating the rule right. They got suspended because they were only skipping the all star game and had no games missed do to injury. Crosby has missed 10 or so, and most likely will not be playing after the game either. I don't like that rule either, but Crosby doesn't even fit the rule.

Correct, there is no double standard. It'd be as if Zetterberg was named to the All-Star team this year and decided on his own accord not to go, he'd be suspended. Why? Because he officially isn't injured even though he has an ailing back, he isn't officially announced with an injury with the team.

Crosby has been stated to be injured and appeared on an injury report with the Penguins.

Please understand the rules before you try to make an argument topic thread like this.

Exactly what I was saying. I hate having to actually - ugh - defend Crosby, but this is one of those cases where it's pretty cut and dry.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#22 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

It's not a double standard in the slightest. A foot injury keeps you confined to crutches or a chair. A hurting back keeps you constraint to a chair and/or pain killers.

What are you going to do with a concussion? Tell the guy to put on sun glasses and keep his eyes closed to keep away bright lights?

Again, not a double standard. The Crosby hate on this board is at an all time high.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#23 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

It's not a double standard in the slightest. A foot injury keeps you confined to crutches or a chair. A hurting back keeps you constraint to a chair and/or pain killers.

What are you going to do with a concussion? Tell the guy to put on sun glasses and keep his eyes closed to keep away bright lights?

Again, not a double standard. The Crosby hate on this board is at an all time high.

It's not like it is fresh, or that it was a compound concussion and all signs, of all reports, point to him being cleared for workouts by this weekend - It's not like he's confined to bedrest... once again, as I've said ad nauseum, I'm not saying he should have to show up, play, or even sit in a chair and sign autographs, the guy was/is hurt and has a good reason to not be there, but lets not go too far in the other direction of defending him, you make it out to be like he's on his death bed... and, yes, it still is a double standard when it comes to the festivities and not the game.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#24 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

Crosby will be missing the game before the all star game and most likely the game after. There is no double standard here and Crosby should not be suspended. However, Crosby is a big complainer.

But the Toronto Globe and Mail reported last week that “word is filtering out of the Penguin camp that Crosby is an angry young man, angry enough to pull his considerable presence from the All-Star game because he doesn’t think the NHL is doing enough to protect its star players.”
My link

Talk about an inflated self-worth.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#25 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

It's not like it is fresh, or that it was a compound concussion and all signs, of all reports, point to him being cleared for workouts by this weekend - It's not like he's confined to bedrest... once again, as I've said ad nauseum, I'm not saying he should have to show up, play, or even sit in a chair and sign autographs, the guy was/is hurt and has a good reason to not be there, but lets not go too far in the other direction of defending him, you make it out to be like he's on his death bed... and, yes, it still is a double standard when it comes to the festivities and not the game.

Stop saying it's a double standard. You don't understand the rule(i think it's a stupid rule as well). The rule is for people who just skip the all star game and miss no games do to injury. He has been OUT FOR TEN GAMES, and most likely will miss more after. His is not in violation of the rule what so ever.

#26 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Stop saying it's a double standard. You don't understand the rule(i think it's a stupid rule as well). The rule is for people who just skip the all star game and miss no games do to injury. He has been OUT FOR TEN GAMES, and most likely will miss more after. His is not in violation of the rule what so ever.

I'm not defending the rule, I think it's idiotic on all accounts and I'm not even saying he should be suspended under the current guidelines, but the fact that no one from the NHL head offices is even objecting to his missing of the ASG IS a double standard, and there's no way to say it isn't... all reports are that he will be cleared for workouts by this weekend, which means, he'd be just fine to sit in a seat for a meet and greet and that's what all the hullabaloo was about. period.

Once again - BEATING A DEAD HORSE - I am NOT SAYING I THINK HE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED, OR FORCED TO BE THERE... just pointing out the inconsistency of the league...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#27 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

I guess the main reason the league isn't slapping together bulls*** rules to try and strong-arm Crosby into attending the game, like they did to Nick and Pav, is because he was injured long enough ago (about three weeks) that his presence at the game shouldn't be anticipated at all. Unlike the Wings' players that pulled out at the last minute, as was perfectly within their rights before the NHL threw a hissy fit.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#28 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

it is a GOOD thing he is not attending, people... there is a chance, we get to see/hear a little less crybaby worship during asg now.

#29 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Unlike the Wings' players that pulled out at the last minute,

:yowza:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#30 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

As long as Crosby sits out a game immediately preceding or following the ASG, he will not be suspended. Though I am kinda hoping he does play them and gets the same BS Lids and Dats got.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#31 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

I'm not defending the rule, I think it's idiotic on all accounts and I'm not even saying he should be suspended under the current guidelines, but the fact that no one from the NHL head offices is even objecting to his missing of the ASG IS a double standard, and there's no way to say it isn't... all reports are that he will be cleared for workouts by this weekend, which means, he'd be just fine to sit in a seat for a meet and greet and that's what all the hullabaloo was about. period.

Once again - BEATING A DEAD HORSE - I am NOT SAYING I THINK HE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED, OR FORCED TO BE THERE... just pointing out the inconsistency of the league...

What rule is he breaking? Lids and Dats broke the rule they established. Crosby is not breaking that rule. Where is the double standard?

#32 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

NO, sorry, it's time Bettman has to get grief for his double standard.

Bettman made this all about 'showing up' last year. The NHL had no issue with Lidstrom and Datsyuk not playing (and Pavel was every bit as injured and unable to go as Crosby this year), it was about showing up. We heard that ad nauseum from the NHL as to why the suspensions HAD to happen.

So, concussion or NOT, Crosby has to go or be suspended.

There is NO middle ground here per Gary Bettman. Don't like my viewpoint? Call the NHL...

I agree whole heartedly with you on this, but unfortunately it will not come to pass. Why? Because Cindy is Gary Buttman's little angel and he can do no wrong. I'm sick of this double standard bs - you did it to us without a care in the world, you either do it uniformly or you don't do it at all.

Edited by Kira, 24 January 2011 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

#33 TEX-WING

TEX-WING

pylon

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

If I remember correctly the "Crosby Clause" was created when Lids, Dats and Crosby were going to skip the ASG because all 3 were banged up. Buttman got his feelings hurt and wanted them to at least show up for the festivities.

Not seeing where any double standard would be this year since Crosby is injured and not playing just as the rule requires.

#34 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

It's still a double standard. Our guys were supposed to show up even if they were dead. Sorry, but you don't get it both ways.
Posted Image

#35 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

Steve, you're like one of three people who think it's a double standard and there are inconsistencies (I'm not counting the people who are clearly Crosby haters no matter what i.e. Sydney, crysby,crybaby terms used in their "point" of argument). You're having to defend one sentence in your argument "Ad nauseam" because, maybe it's you who is wrong, and not all of us.

Edited by Konnan511, 24 January 2011 - 05:58 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#36 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Crosby has a concussion, he is still not practicing and has missed a lot of games.

Datsyuk had a charlie horse that caused him to miss 1 period before the ASG. Lidstrom had tendinitis and missed no time. I think Crosby's condition is a little more serious, and it's probably not a good idea to attend an event like this with an injury as serious as his.

Doesn't matter. His concussion won't be worsened by standing beside people for a photo and answering questions from the media.

Crosby's given many interviews about his concussion in the last few weeks-- he clearly isn't laying motionless in a hospital fighting for his life. Giving those interviews in Carolina won't hurt him any more than it does in the Pens locker room.

If he has a medical justification other than OMG IT'S SO CEREAL GUYZ!!1!, I'm sure he can use it without penalty.

We all know the Wings, Holland, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom were "embellishing" the injuries to allow them more time to rest. Get over it OP.

And your evidence is...? Lidstrom has a well documented history of tendonitis in his elbow. Datsyuk missed the end of a game so clearly that injury wasn't fake. The Wings wouldn't make him sit a period out to allow them to justify his resting later.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#37 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Z should be suspended a game for not going this year.

Posted Image

#38 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Doesn't matter. His concussion won't be worsened by standing beside people for a photo and answering questions from the media.

Crosby's given many interviews about his concussion in the last few weeks-- he clearly isn't laying motionless in a hospital fighting for his life. Giving those interviews in Carolina won't hurt him any more than it does in the Pens locker room.

If he has a medical justification other than OMG IT'S SO CEREAL GUYZ!!1!, I'm sure he can use it without penalty.

Yep there is no difference in the amount of attention/media given to him in his locker room compared to the All Star game weekend. :rolleyes:

#39 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

Z should be suspended a game for not going this year.

...I'm having a hard time telling if this is serious or not.

#40 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

...I'm having a hard time telling if this is serious or not.

I'm dead serious. If he can play now, then he could play in a ASG. These games on the regular schedule are much more physical than the ASG will be.

The Wings know what happened last time their guys sat out and it should be the same this time. It's a win for them anyway, he gets the break off and an extra game.

Posted Image