• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

I'm dead serious. If he can play now, then he could play in a ASG. These games on the regular schedule are much more physical than the ASG will be.

The Wings know what happened last time their guys sat out and it should be the same this time. It's a win for them anyway, he gets the break off and an extra game.

He wasn't chosen for the ASG so he didn't actually break any rules though. But it's just another loophole in NHL policy.

#42 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

He wasn't chosen for the ASG so he didn't actually break any rules though. But it's just another loophole in NHL policy.

Oh, I just assumed he was since they kept talking about him not going.....

Posted Image

#43 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Oh, I just assumed he was since they kept talking about him not going.....

From my understanding, the Red Wings organization contacted the NHL and requested that Z not be chosen. They agreed, nullifying Z of breaking the rule in question.

#44 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

throw him outta the league. that is all.

#45 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

throw him outta the league. that is all.

Posted Image

"HHHEEEYYY NOW!!!!"
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#46 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

From my understanding, the Red Wings organization contacted the NHL and requested that Z not be chosen. They agreed, nullifying Z of breaking the rule in question.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Posted Image

#47 Joey v3.4

Joey v3.4

Stoned

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

People have been embellishing injuries for years to skip All Star Games.

Any serious cup contender appreciates the All Star Break more for it's rest and recuperation value.

Crosby has missed ten games. I think in a league where concussions and head shots and stuff are becoming a progressively bigger issue, the league would look like a bunch of hypocrites if they disciplined Crosby in any way for skipping it because of a concussion. Imagine how horrible it would look on the league if he played and sustained an even greater head injury?

The only reason it is even an issue is that the NHL knows there are half a million Crosby Fan-boi's out there, who won't watch any hockey game unless Crosby is playing. The ASG is a big ticket item for the NHL, and they're trying to make it even bigger this year than ever before......it really kinks their plans when the poster boy for the NHL (And for Big kids Diapers), misses out on the event. Hell, as it is it's the number 1 news item on every damn hockey site.

It's a shame IMO that players can't voluntarily decline the ASG. But then hardly any serious playoff teams would send anybody.

I think it should be as follows:

Each NHL team should be required to send one player to the ASG, but in the case of Pittsburgh where three players were selected (I think, didn't really look it up), two in theory should be able to opt out of the game. It seems crappy to me that they can pick three guys from a playoff contending team, and force them all to work all weekend, while the rest of the league takes those days off. I guess it's what they get paid the big money for......but as a potential cup finalist....I sure as hell wouldn't want three of my top guys wasting time and risking injury in a game that is worth absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I like the skills competition, but IMO the ASG is a joke, and is lately becoming a HUGE distraction in the NHL.
And Boom goes the Dynamite.

#48 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem. :)

#49 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

Technically, if Crosby plays tomorrow, he would be in violation of the rule if he then skipped the ASG. Doesn't look like he will though, so nothing to discuss really.

However, Crosby certainly should be suspended a game for skipping the ASG two years ago, since it was just a made up rule that allowed him to weasel out of it back then.

#50 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

Crosby will be missing the game before the all star game and most likely the game after. There is no double standard here and Crosby should not be suspended. However, Crosby is a big complainer.

Talk about an inflated self-worth.

Over a week after this rumor was squashed you bring it up like it is fact again.

Honestly, not every rumor that paints Crosby as the bad guy is true. Stop regurgitating garbage.

Posted Image

#51 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

Yep there is no difference in the amount of attention/media given to him in his locker room compared to the All Star game weekend. :rolleyes:

Plus, I'm no doctor, but I have a sneaking suspicion that flying and all the odd air pressure that entails isn't exactly good for a concussion.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#52 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

Technically, if Crosby plays tomorrow, he would be in violation of the rule if he then skipped the ASG. Doesn't look like he will though, so nothing to discuss really.

However, Crosby certainly should be suspended a game for skipping the ASG two years ago, since it was just a made up rule that allowed him to weasel out of it back then.

This right here. You are right on, Buppy.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#53 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

Malkin isn't going now either. They're dropping like flies.

Malkin will also miss All-Star Weekend.

Pittsburgh center Evgeni Malkin is joining teammate Sidney Crosby on the All-Star injured list and will not be attending the festivities in Raleigh this coming weekend, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma told reporters Tuesday after the team's morning skate in preparation for their final game before the break.
Malkin will miss his third straight game Tuesday when the Penguins host the Islanders. Bylsma said he's out with a sinus infection/illness, but he has reportedly been bothered by a left knee injury as well.

Edited by Selliria, 25 January 2011 - 12:22 PM.

#54 howeaboutthat

howeaboutthat

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

Plus, I'm no doctor, but I have a sneaking suspicion that flying and all the odd air pressure that entails isn't exactly good for a concussion.

I'm no doctor either (I'm a trauma nurse and ex-RAF aeromed nurse) but flying whilst still suffering the effects of concussion is considered a big no-no. Considering Crosby is still apparently suffering concussion after missing 10 games I'd suggest its possibly serious enough not to bother with flying somewhere to do grip and grin photos.

There are a lot of things to dislike Crosby for but suffering a concussion is no laughing matter and one that has kept him out of 10 games must be pretty bad.

Edited by howeaboutthat, 25 January 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#55 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Here's hoping Crosby has the concussion luck of Marc Savard. Cheers.

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

The league should push the game back until Crosby recovers.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#57 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Actually would love if the 2 would switch places. Would rather watch Savvy to be honest and despite what Colie Campbell thinks, a hell of a lot tougher too.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#58 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

That's a pretty sick thing to hope for.

I wouldn't wish the amount of head injuries suffered by Marc Savard to anyone I've encountered in my own life, not to mention wish it on a person I've had no direct contact or interaction with.

But alas, fans will be fans I suppose.

#59 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

I'm no doctor either (I'm a trauma nurse and ex-RAF aeromed nurse) but flying whilst still suffering the effects of concussion is considered a big no-no. Considering Crosby is still apparently suffering concussion after missing 10 games I'd suggest its possibly serious enough not to bother with flying somewhere to do grip and grin photos.

Road Trip! :P

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#60 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

The league should push the game back until Crosby recovers.

Shhhhhhh! They'll hear you and do it! lol.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/