• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

No enforcer. Its a waste of roster space, they never fit into the wings' system of rolling four balanced lines and will put further strain on the top two lines to do the bulk of the scoring.

Currently completing a double major in biology and pre-med (biomedical science), and minors in Chemistry and German.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#22 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

No enforcer. Its a waste of roster space, they never fit into the wings' system of rolling four balanced lines and will put further strain on the top two lines to do the bulk of the scoring.

Currently completing a double major in biology and pre-med (biomedical science), and minors in Chemistry and German.

All players mentioned would likely be able to put up as many points are Draper or Miller now playing on a line with Helm and Eaves. I am also against A Boogy, Koci, etc type enforcer, but I am not sure if Rupp, Konopka, Prust, Boll, Rupp, etc can be so easily discarded as a waste of space. As Newfy (and others) like to say, the Wings haven't won a cup recently without an enforcer. While I am suspect of an actual correlation, it is evidence they can fit the Wings' style.

#23 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

My opinion is for whichever choice will give the Wings the best chance game after game to win.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#24 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

My opinion is for whichever choice will give the Wings the best chance game after game to win.

What if you were GM, piecing together the Wings? Not to say any of us would do a good job, but this poll is basically a play the GM poll (your opinion).

#25 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

Even in the 90s when there was no cap, the Wings fighters were also regular point-getters. Shanahan was a beast with the puck, Kocur almost broke 40 points, McCarty almost broke 50. Hell, even Probert was known to light the lamp.

Go Broncos!

also: no enforcer, BS in biomedical science, double minor in chemistry and psychology, currently interviewing at medical schools (Wayne State was yesterday, MSU is on Thursday) for Fall 2011.

Edited by Echolalia, 25 January 2011 - 06:47 PM.

#26 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

That is my opinion. I don't see the appeal of enforcers, but if we need one to win, we should get one. If we don't need one to win, we shouldn't get one.

Right now, I don't think we need one.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

I support the players you listed, and I also support big goons who have no talent other than intimidating people and punching them in their faces. And no I don't care that those players don't skate well or score points.

Just being completely honest with my feelings on this.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 25 January 2011 - 07:03 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

I support the players you listed, and I also support big goons who have no talent other than intimidating people and punching them in their faces. And no I don't care that those players don't skate well or score points.

:thumbup:

#29 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Yes.
Currently in first year of PhD program.
Pic attached.
Your turn.

Just said I'd like to see a poll. Take it easy. : D
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#30 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

I support the players you listed. Dont care for the players who are on the team just to fight.
I like the kind of player who can kill penalties, grind out goals, play smart hockey and isnt afraid to drop the gloves if needed

#31 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Hooray for honesty!

Posted Image

#32 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

I gave you a +1 for being honest.

#33 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

I gave you a +1 for being honest.

I gave you a +1 for positively enforcing honesty.

#34 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

I gave everyone a +1 for being in thread which promotes honesty, which then in turn is promoting all of us to not lie about our feelings on hockey matters. Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#35 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

I gave you a +1 for positively enforcing honesty.

I gave you +1 for positively enforcing the positive enforcing of honesty.

#36 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Just said I'd like to see a poll. Take it easy. : D

Not going to participate in your own poll? :) We've had our arguments on here, but I think we agree (for once) on the rule changes. I'd be interested to see your answer to this 'poll'.

#37 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

The fact that anyone is against a poll saying bring Prust to the wings 4th line shows how ignorant this whole site is. Prust has more goals AND more points then Miller, while being 4th in the league in fighting majors AND he chips in on the PK AND he hits harder AND plays 4 more minutes per game :rolleyes: Are people actually that dense that they wouldn't take Prust over Miller? There is no logical reasoning behind that.

I know there are other guys listed, really the only one that I can see an argument made for Miller being better then is Rupp and even then I'll take Rupp over Miller

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#38 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Not going to participate in your own poll? :) We've had our arguments on here, but I think we agree (for once) on the rule changes. I'd be interested to see your answer to this 'poll'.

Prust yes, Konopka no, Rupp no. I'd like a player who can fight, but still play 5on5 hockey on the level this system demands (and doesn't take stupid penalties constantly).

High school graduate, just finished military service.

Posted Image

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

I voted yes and I played. I didnt vote because of those particular players, but please just someone that stands up to somebody! The Wings are a bunch of Pu$$ies... A player gives your BEST defensman an illegal head shot, breaking his jaw and sidelining him for 6 weeks and.nobody.does.a.thing. Even Abdelkader was right there and didnt do a thing... Sure, I know the Wings can win without this type of player, but it would come alot easier if the opposing jack-assess had something else to worry about out there.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#40 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

One of the bloggers at sports.yahoo.com recently came out with an article about enforcers vs tough players. Maybe it will help you prove or disprove your theory.

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-312277

PS, you could say he played hockey in NA, too.

edit: Doc I just saw you posted the same link in the identical enforcer thread earlier.

that article makes a lot of sense

I always reiterate it would be nice to have a downie/ott/clutterbuck but it isn't possible, signing up konopka ins't going to be any better than being a soft team

The fact that anyone is against a poll saying bring Prust to the wings 4th line shows how ignorant this whole site is. Prust has more goals AND more points then Miller, while being 4th in the league in fighting majors AND he chips in on the PK AND he hits harder AND plays 4 more minutes per game :rolleyes: Are people actually that dense that they wouldn't take Prust over Miller? There is no logical reasoning behind that.

I know there are other guys listed, really the only one that I can see an argument made for Miller being better then is Rupp and even then I'll take Rupp over Miller

and he costs more than miller, has a bigger role on his team, and his team wont give him up
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter