• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

I support the players you listed, and I also support big goons who have no talent other than intimidating people and punching them in their faces. And no I don't care that those players don't skate well or score points.

Just being completely honest with my feelings on this.

Ah... couldn't have said it any better myself.

If the Wings *wanted* to sign George Parros or Derek Boogaard, you wouldn't see any objection from me. I'll value an enforcer over the likes of Jiri Hudler any day of the week, and twice on Sunday... and that's just my opinion. :P

#42 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Should be more choices.

Do I support them in genereal? Yes.

Do the Wings absolutely need one? No.

Never played competitive hockey before.

#43 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

The fact that anyone is against a poll saying bring Prust to the wings 4th line shows how ignorant this whole site is. Prust has more goals AND more points then Miller, while being 4th in the league in fighting majors AND he chips in on the PK AND he hits harder AND plays 4 more minutes per game :rolleyes: Are people actually that dense that they wouldn't take Prust over Miller? There is no logical reasoning behind that.

I know there are other guys listed, really the only one that I can see an argument made for Miller being better then is Rupp and even then I'll take Rupp over Miller

Read my response on page one. I couldn't say yes because of the list of players. The only one I'd like is Prust because he finally started playing well last year.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#44 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

I chose yes, i support a competitive enforcer who can actually play the game.

For the record i played AA & AAA hockey for about 8 years in Toronto :P

Posted Image

#45 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

I support the players you listed, and I also support big goons who have no talent other than intimidating people and punching them in their faces. And no I don't care that those players don't skate well or score points.

Just being completely honest with my feelings on this.

+1 from me since you pretty much summed up my feelings on this subject.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#46 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

Voted yes, and haven't played comptetitive hockey in North America.

As for the other poll, I have a BA (Cantab.) in history. I'm not posting a picture as that would make everyone jealous.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#47 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

Voted yes, and haven't played comptetitive hockey in North America.

As for the other poll, I have a BA (Cantab.) in history. I'm not posting a picture as that would make everyone jealous.

Alright EZBAKEHEGANGSTA, calmmm down.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#48 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

Dude. It's EZBAKETHEGANSTA. Learn to spell it.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#49 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

Forum enforcers tend to get the banhammer when they punch too many people in the mouth.
just sayin...
oops. wrong thread. lol.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#50 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

Voted yes, but not because it would make the team better, but it would just make more entertaining for me to watch and that's what I watch the games for after all.

#51 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

...but please just someone that stands up to somebody! The Wings are a bunch of Pu$ies... A player gives your BEST defensman an illegal head shot, breaking his jaw and sidelining him for 6 weeks and.nobody.does.a.thing. Even Abdelkader was right there and didnt do a thing... Sure, I know the Wings can win without this type of player, but it would come alot easier if the opposing jack-assess had something else to worry about out there.

I really, strongly agree with this. I know most people on here don't agree, but my observation is that the Wings the last few years consistently have trouble with the really physical teams. Philly has come in the last couple years and wiped them across the ice. Nashville is a problem, St. Louis is a problem, the Wild also if I recall correctly. I hate watching our guys get run, and before anyone flies off the handle, the quote from Babcock from back when the Wings first picked up May (for an exhibition or tryout? I can't remember the details) shows that the coach feels the same.

I see the argument over and over that "the Wings win without a fighter!". OK, that's true, they are winning regular season games. I'm not disputing that. Until they win it all without at least the toughness of even an end-of-career Drake and McCarty, I'm not convinced. Show me the Cup and I'll admit I was wrong; until then, I think there's room for the debate.

#52 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

?
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#53 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

?

EZBAKE used to come in here and brag about himself I think is what hes saying lol

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#54 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

I see the argument over and over that "the Wings win without a fighter!". OK, that's true, they are winning regular season games. I'm not disputing that. Until they win it all without at least the toughness of even an end-of-career Drake and McCarty, I'm not convinced. Show me the Cup and I'll admit I was wrong; until then, I think there's room for the debate.

This is something that I dont get either, people are always like, well the wings always win so why change anything?

But the fact of the matter is, the times that Detroit has won the cup, they have had some very physical players in their lineup and have not won when they have not. I'm not saying an enforcer, but they have always had guys with a mean streak. It can be argued whether or not this is true, but I think physicality has a larger impact than most people on here would like to acknowledge.

Drake and Mccarty in 08 on forward, Stuart and Kronwall on defense

02 had a Mccarty, Shanny, a younger Chelios, Fischer (broke his stick across a guys face in the finals, god I miss him :( )

and everyone knows how tough the 97 and 98 teams were.

I think being physical in the playoffs is really underrated on these boards, partially because a lot of people haven't played hockey and partially because a lot of fans became fans when they became more euopeanized

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#55 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

I don't really give a crap whether we have an enforcer or not so long as we win the cup. Teams have won with and they've won without, including the Wings.

As for entertainment value, given how ridiculously staged most of the fights between the 'real' enforcers are these days, I'm pretty ambivalent there, too. It's like WWE on ice. Now, if you want to give me a scrappy guy that chips in other ways (like Prust), then sure, if it's for a reasonable price. But I don't want to see the team break the bank either in salary or assets for one, either.

It's all situational.

There are people on the roster now that are as physical and fight as much as Drake (in his last year, I mean, not prime Drake). As for D-Mac.. well, he was at the twilight of his career, and that included his enforcing ability.

I'd make a bigger argument for Downey, except that he didn't play during the playoffs at all, and we have players now who can bring what Drake/D-Mac did. On the matter of Downey again... honestly, he brought more as a good teammate and an exuberant lockerroom presence (from what I've heard of his good attitude) than he did as an enforcer (let's be honest, Downey was never a great fighter). I'm glad to have him with the org on the farm with his attitude and work ethic.

Edited by Datsyerberger, 26 January 2011 - 05:17 PM.

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#56 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

As for entertainment value, given how ridiculously staged most of the fights between the 'real' enforcers are these days, I'm pretty ambivalent there, too. It's like WWE on ice... But I don't want to see the team break the bank either in salary or assets for one, either.

Yeah, I meant to put something in my previous post related to this. I think it's really a multifaceted issue, because I also think the Instigator rule should be taken away to allow real enforcing; by which I mean if Cooke throws a cheap shot, the enforcer goes after Cooke directly. I can sort of see the point made by the blog post someone posted a link to earlier which is that since guys don't have to fight, they don't fear the other team's fighter. I don't think it's fair to put up a barrier to the self-policing by the players, then say fighting doesn't help players policing the ice. I don't think it's a bad thing if the off-the-faceoff goon fights are tapered back, though I don't have a problem with them particularly.

I think it's also worth noting that at least to my memory, Kronwall played a more physical game that year than he has lately.

#57 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

We need Steve MacIntyre.

Trade a used puck bag for him.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#58 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Miller, Draper, Eaves, Abs, and Helm, theres 5 people in 3 spots in the bottom 3, and then theres the cap, and that pesky idea that a player that will play 3 minutes a night and sit 5 mines in the box puts more strain on the Wings other lines that just makes this seem like another useless dumb debate about enforcers.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#59 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

As I've said numerous times. It'd be more beneficial to have a 5th/6th Enforcer Type Defenseman as they play more than a 4th line grinder and we all would agree that Ericsson and Salei's spots aren't safe.

Who are some physical enforcer type D men you would like to see?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#60 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Enforcers are usually meat heads and take stupid penalties.

The best guys to have who can drop the gloves are McCarty and Lapointe type players, they only fight when they have to, actually play 15-18 minutes a game, and can contribute to the main objective in hockey, outscoring your opponent.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons