• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Konnan511

Ducks Sued for Anti-Semitism by Former Draft Pick

Rate this topic

Your Views  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Crymson

Just from reading the article, none of the language was directed at the kid, it was just said in his presence, which is still bad, but not something you sue someone over.

It's really even worse. No offense, but you've never been Jewish and had to endure this kind of crap.

Honestly, I don't really give a crap about this kinda stuff in a personal sense. I'm rather anti-PC. I'm also rather anti-litigious. That said, given that this is a workplace environment, it's over the line. It doesn't really foster a professional environment. While I wouldn't necessarily back a lawsuit, I can definitely see where he's coming from. I wouldn't support such behavior from employees of my own business. Swear at a guy all you want, but watch the derogatory stuff--you may just very well be insulting one of my other employees.

Edited by Datsyerberger

I played with a kid whose dad was coach of the team, one day the kid was smarting off and not skating hard. The father grabbed him by the front of the jersey and yelled " you came outta the end of my **** you'll do what I say ". The kid was 13 and not a pro hockey player this guy needs to toughen up and grow a pair sometimes coaches say things to get fire outta players, anger is a good motivator , sometimes.

Some people have more dollars than brain cells. This guy is one of them. What kind of idiot says s*** like this in the first place? You don't like Jews? Okay, that's your right. Keep it to yourself though, because no one cares or needs to know. Especially the Jewish kid.

I don't agree with the lawsuit, but this coach should get smacked in the face with a frozen trout. Or maybe a menorah.

Edited by Electrophile

In the suit, filed today in Orange County Superior Court, Bailey claims the head coach of the Condors told him "[Jews] only care about money and who's who" and that he "never wanted his son to be raised Jewish or to wear a Yarmulke."

So then.... you sue the team that you couldn't advance in for... money? No one else thinks that's kind of funny??

In all seriousness, as far as I'm concerned the only difference between me calling my friend a Mick or them calling me a Dago or *** and antisemitism is there is a name for it. Everyone is being a little over-sensitive. Unless there is a LOT more to this story then the article describes, this is a joke. We have all been called much worse. As others have already said, skin is going to have to be a lot thicker to make it. We've all heard what guys like Avery, Maltby, Carcillo, etc. are capable of saying, we don't need a lawsuit every week.

Also, it didn't seem to be a problem until he left, just like it didn't seem like pictures of Favre's business were an issue until years after he left the Jets. Classic case of people cashing in.

EDIT: I'm definitely not saying the coach is without fault, you definitely need to watch what you're saying at a professional level and that is not going to fly. But a lawsuit, really?

Edited by b.shanafan14

Guest screwdahawks

If it's true he shoulda just said "well I heard your mother f***ed a dog and got you so, f*** OFF"

You guys have to remember that this is his job. What if you were at your job when your boss said something offensive about your people? Maybe I wouldn't sue, but he has every right to be upset. My boss called me a guido last year and it really pissed me off because he does not know me that well. It's one thing to say it to your buddies, but to say it to someone that you only know on a professional level is definitely NOT okay.

Most people commenting here seem to be forgetting history, when nobody cared about a small amount of anti-semitism in germany, and then 6 million people were slaughtered. Now I don't want, people to overreact I get that this is nowhere near as bad as that, but no amount of racism, sexism, anti-semitism, or any other kind of bigotry should be tolerated in any amount. There is plenty enough profanity out there to make your point without using ethnic slurs. And an apology is worthless because everybody knows the only reason the apology was made was because the coaches bosses told him to make it and he didn't mean it. The kid has a right to be sensitive, on these types of issues everybody does.

In my mind, if the offenders admitted to it and sent apology letters, the matter is closed. In most cases involving hostile work environments (be it sexual harassment, etc.) if the activity stops after you've made it clear you're offended or uncomfortable, you have no case. Prior to you making your discomfort known to the offenders, there is no actual "crime."

I find myself wondering if this was a (misguided) attempt by the coach to fire up his player

Coach: Jews are lazy and only care about money

Player: Yeah, well, I'll show HIM!

Its coaching 101, and a thousand hockey coaches will have denigrated French Canadians for hiding behind visors, Swedes for not liking being hit, and Russians for being flat out soft.

OR

He might list the Protocols Of The Elders Of Zion as one of his favourite books, and Mel Gibson as his favourite actor, in which case sue him for every penny.

Guest Crymson

I imagine part of the lawsuit may have been that ordering written apologies was the only action taken by the Ducks organization. As others have mentioned here, apologies can be absolutely disingenuous. Who wants to be obligated to play for a minor league system in which one knows that one will be put in disfavor simply because one's coach is a bigot?

I find myself wondering if this was a (misguided) attempt by the coach to fire up his player

Its coaching 101, and a thousand hockey coaches will have denigrated French Canadians for hiding behind visors, Swedes for not liking being hit, and Russians for being flat out soft.

OR

He might list the Protocols Of The Elders Of Zion as one of his favourite books, and Mel Gibson as his favourite actor, in which case sue him for every penny.

Lol. Well played.

The coach never made the remarks towards the player. The player was never called anything. How does one even compare this to the Holocaust? That's quite the leap. And I'm guessing the kid sucking (in regards to being a pro) well before he even came to the Ducks has everything to do with the kid not advancing and nothing to do with him being Jewish.

It's really even worse. No offense, but you've never been Jewish and had to endure this kind of crap.

So you are in favor of suing someone for anti-semitic remarks in regards to stereotypes. Not even directed at you? For the amount of black players that have been in the NHL or in minor league hockey, i've never heard of one suing a coach like this and I am willing to bet the farm they hear a lot worst than this kid.

Really? C'me on now...Lets use this with any other bullied group and see how motivating it is:

Fags are only interested in ass pirating and spreading HIV

N#ggers are only interested in Grand theft auto and watermelon

You get my drift here. Any usage of someone's ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, culture, religion ect in the workplace is off limits. If the guy worked for a fortune 500 company and his boss said this s*** to him, the boss would be fired and the company sued. "Hey Johhny, you little ***, go take your *** ass and get some work done" is not a motivator...Its bullying.

I am tired of making excuses for people that allow others to try and bully or intimidate people that are in the minority. The kid shouldnt be painted as the bad guy here because the incident should not have happened. I know people can say "its hockey...grow some balls" but this type of intolerance is exactly why Iginla, to this day still hears the N word and why people like Theo Fleury do not speak publically of abuse they indured because sport is a culture of intolerance.

Really? C'me on now...Lets use this with any other bullied group and see how motivating it is:

Fags are only interested in ass pirating and spreading HIV

N#ggers are only interested in Grand theft auto and watermelon

You get my drift here. Any usage of someone's ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, culture, religion ect in the workplace is off limits. If the guy worked for a fortune 500 company and his boss said this s*** to him, the boss would be fired and the company sued. "Hey Johhny, you little ***, go take your *** ass and get some work done" is not a motivator...Its bullying.

I am tired of making excuses for people that allow others to try and bully or intimidate people that are in the minority. The kid shouldnt be painted as the bad guy here because the incident should not have happened. I know people can say "its hockey...grow some balls" but this type of intolerance is exactly why Iginla, to this day still hears the N word and why people like Theo Fleury do not speak publically of abuse they indured because sport is a culture of intolerance.

Being molested is completely different than having a Jewish guy in the room and telling your buddy next to you that jews are lazy and only care about money.

Drwscc, you need to read my post carefully. And when you do you will see it haas nothing to do with nazism, but with the fact that intolerance and bigotry breeds intolerance and bigotry and should not be tolerated in any size shape or form. Wether it has to do with jews, blacks, gays or any other ethnicity, religion, or belief.