• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/26 GDT: Devils 1 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

Filppula is seriously, and I'm not going overboard, looking like Datsyuk out there with his weaving through traffic. He's got terrific speed, unbelievable vision, and his hands in getting in and out of traffic has improved so much.

He's a better player when he has more responsibility, look at the way he steps it up in the playoffs and when Dats has been out. He's clutch.

Filppula is seriously, and I'm not going overboard, looking like Datsyuk out there with his weaving through traffic. He's got terrific speed, unbelievable vision, and his hands in getting in and out of traffic has improved so much.

He's a better player when he has more responsibility, look at the way he steps it up in the playoffs and when Dats has been out. He's clutch.

flip looks good, and he has for the last 2 months or so. he's got at least 1 point in the majority of his games since december i think, or at least thats what it seems like.

Yes I guess it does, but I was more thinking of shots and chances of his own making. He is OK with rebounds and one timers, but when he is creating on his own (which he is very good at), he doesn't capitalize on a very high percent. Sure, some of it is a lack confidence and deference, some of it is him learning to be more patient, but I think a good bit of it too is his wrist shot lacking and preventing him from burying the puck when he gets the goaltender down. That is a huge part of the offensive tool kit which he needs to work on. No one is mistaking his shot for the Mule (or even Hudler), but he seems to be creating more chances than both of them through his hard work in all three zones. The great part is that it is something that will get better.

Just look at the way he tries to dangle these days. He has enough confidence to do that even when he is usually not successful at it, so I don't think lack of confidence is what keeps him from hitting another offensive level. Don't get me wrong, I personally am very happy with what he is putting up, I just think that when he sorts out a couple more little things - look out! It's fun to watch him develop. Sooner or later, he is going to get through on more dangles, and bury more dekes.

Or the one at Philly.

This one wasn't a roofer at all. That was about waist high like I was talking about.

Edited by kook_10

I think Wings fans are a little mixed up as to how much production we should expect from Filppula. Kenny said that he thinks Filppula CAN, as in, has the potential, to provide 70 points as a 2nd line center. Should he? As in, do they need him to? When you have guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen? Not... really.

Kenny threw out that number while the media and fans ran with it big time but I don't think that's exactly what he along with the rest of the organization expect from Filppula. Numbers wise, he's probably doing fine in their eyes.

As far as the story you told... Good stuff, haha. I don't know what else to say about that.

Well, Fil knows that he SHOULD score more. In other words, the team needs him to provide secondary scoring.

He doesn't quite know that he COULD score more. As in, he doesn't quite fully believe or have enough confidence in his ability to execute and put up points. At least not yet.

Too much psychology. That's my job.

For pro hockey players, the confidence thing is far overplayed. These are guys who have played the game their whole lives, even when they perform poorly, they still know more about hockey than the average poster here will ever know.

Guy knows what he has to do.

There is no point in defending him, when he is perfectly within a position to defend himself.

This one wasn't a roofer at all. That was about waist high like I was talking about.

Upon further inspection, you're right. The one against the BJs on 11/28 definitely was though.

/nailed it

For pro hockey players, the confidence thing is far overplayed. These are guys who have played the game their whole lives, even when they perform poorly, they still know more about hockey than the average poster here will ever know.

I completely disagree. They may be pro hockey players, but they're not machines. They are still human, subject to human emotions.

Edited by Z and D for the C

It's funny, whenever Filppula is giving more responsibility, he flourishes. A guy who can put up 50-60 points and play top 20 defense as a forward IS a second line center no matter how much you don't want him to be. People have this misconception that your second line center needs to be a Malkin, when in reality the majority of them put up 35-60 points and don't play nearly as awesome defense as Filppula plays.

Don't forget, Filppula on a generous amount of occasions, shadows a teams first line so Datsyuk and Zetterberg can go against a teams 2nd or 3rd lines. This game Filppula was matched up with Kovy's line.

There is no point in defending him, when he is perfectly within a position to defend himself.

I disagree. I think that confidence is knowing that you can do it AND being willing to try. All of them know that they can score but sometimes they hold back or pass the puck to a guy like Pavel rather than shooting it. I've never played hockey before but if I was on the ice with a superstar like Pavel, I'd want to get him the puck even though I knew that I can score myself.

There are a ton of guys like Mickey Redmond and Mike Babcock that agree..

Just my 2 cents worth.

If Filppula was given a legit, #1 center role on a team, I think he'd surprise a lot of people.

You could be right.

We all know how talented he can be at times, but what I want to see is sustained success and consistency over an entire season and playoffs, which I definitely think he capable of. He has certainly looked better this season, even with the constant juggling of linemates.

I agree with you about confidence, I think its an extremely important attribute in life and in hockey. See Ville Leino last year, Hudler this season, Franzen's emergence as an elite scorer in 08, etc. When you play with and against the best players in the entire world, I can see how players could easily lose confidence in themselves when things aren't going great.

No way. Do you think Kovy and Ovie just forgot how to play hockey all of a sudden? And Canada in the 3rd period of the WJC final? Confidence is the difference between a winner and a loser. Actually, confidence means EVERYTHING to a professional athlete.

No way. Do you think Kovy and Ovie just forgot how to play hockey all of a sudden? And Canada in the 3rd period of the WJC final? Confidence is the difference between a winner and a loser. Actually, confidence means EVERYTHING to a professional athlete.

Look what it did for Franzen.

Yes you are. He's good but he isn't nowhere near Datsyuk good imo. Datsyuk has a unique skill set. Flip doesn't. I think Flip can be dominant when he wants to, but you overshot the compliment by comparing him to Datsyuk imo.

Edited by Broken 16

Yes you are. He's good but he isn't nowhere near Datsyuk good imo. Datsyuk has a unique skill set. Flip doesn't. I think Flip can be dominant when he wants to, but you overshot the compliment by comparing him to Datsyuk imo.

He compared him to Datsyuk in a facet of his game, and it's a good comparison saying he's Datsyuk like at that facet.

He compared him to Datsyuk in a facet of his game, and it's a good comparison saying he's Datsyuk like at that facet.

I don't agree at all. Flip still turns the puck over/loses the puck/becomes nullified way more than Datsyuk in those situations.

Edited by Broken 16

I don't agree at all. Flip still turns the puck over/loses the puck/becomes nullified way more than Datsyuk in those situations.

Who doesn't?? Dats is in a league of his own, all I'm saying Flip is looking more like Datsyuk in that one area.

^ I love that video, Drapes is great in it. "DON'T IGNORE ME!"

Having Datsyuk-like ambitions doesn't make you a Datsyuk-like player. Just sayin.

Being a Datsyuk-like player (Daksyukian) doesn't mean you have to be as good as Datsyuk. From his first season in the league he always reminded me of Datsyuk (and again, that doesn't mean he is, was, or ever will be as good). His game is very similar to Datsyuk's.

Edited by Z and D for the C

^ I love that video, Drapes is great in it. "DON'T IGNORE ME!"

Being a Datsyuk-like player (Daksyukian) doesn't mean you have to be as good as Datsyuk. From his first season in the league he always reminded me of Datsyuk (and again, that doesn't mean he is, was, or ever will be as good). His game is very similar to Datsyuk's.

I just don't like the comparison. I personally never saw Flip as a Datsyuk clone. I saw him with his own skill set. I just never saw Datsyuk's game in it. Flips game is more power and speed. Datsyuk is just a pure dangler. Flip could easily be as dominant as Datsyuk if he just shot the puck more.

Edited by Broken 16

I just don't like the comparison. I personally never saw Flip as a Datsyuk clone. I saw him with his own skill set. I just never saw Datsyuk's game in it. Flips game is more power and speed. Datsyuk is just a pure dangler. Flip could easily be as dominant as Datsyuk if he just shot the puck more.

this is a joke, right?

this is a joke, right?

What? That I think Datsyuk is more of a dangler than Flip? No. I'm not joking.

And yes, I think Flip is skilled enough to be dominant in a different way than Datsyuk, which is why I don't really like the comparison.

Edited by Broken 16

What? That I think Datsyuk is more of a dangler than Flip? No. I'm not joking.

And yes, I think Flip is skilled enough to be dominant in a different way than Datsyuk, which is why I don't really like the comparison.

no, that pavel is "just a pure dangler" and that flip could "easily be as dominant as datsyuk." all he has to do is shoot more and he would be as effective in a game as pavel? flip can't even shoot so i don't see what the point of him shooting more is.

i get that you're saying flip could potentially be a dominant player and that he would do it in a different way than pavel, and i agree with that. but to suggest that he could ever reach datsyuk's level (in any facet of the game), that i do not agree with. the best flip can hope for is to become 'datsyuk lite' in a couple of years.

btw, i'm not a flip hater like some people on here. i know he's an asset to this team, and his positioning, defense, and skating are superb. it's just that datsyuk is on a super-human level in almost every aspect of the game. i'm just being realistic when comparing these two.

no, that pavel is "just a pure dangler" and that flip could "easily be as dominant as datsyuk." all he has to do is shoot more and he would be as effective in a game as pavel? flip can't even shoot so i don't see what the point of him shooting more is.

i get that you're saying flip could potentially be a dominant player and that he would do it in a different way than pavel, and i agree with that. but to suggest that he could ever reach datsyuk's level (in any facet of the game), that i do not agree with. the best flip can hope for is to become 'datsyuk lite' in a couple of years.

btw, i'm not a flip hater like some people on here. i know he's an asset to this team, and his positioning, defense, and skating are superb. it's just that datsyuk is on a super-human level in almost every aspect of the game. i'm just being realistic when comparing these two.

Ya. I didn't word that too well. I figured someone would jump on it.

I was trying to say that Datsyuk achieves his results more from dangling while Flip dangles a little but he mostly seems to rely on speed and getting body position on an opponent to get his results.

And I agree that nobody can be compared to Datsyuk. That was my initial point. :)

Edited by Broken 16