• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

As "The Topic" says what are your top 5 movies that you've turned off or walked out of because they were either really terrible or just plain flat out sucked?

And if you have more then 5 then please by all no means spill them!

But mine are :

5) American Beauty: I saw this in the movie theater with my girlfriend at the time. And i just couldn't stand it. Horrible movie. If anyone liked the movie please feel free to explain :)

4) Basketball Diaries: Rented it on VHS. One of Leo DiCaprios worst movies. Didn't even watch 5 minutes of it. Completely bombed!

3) The Ring 2 - Rented it on DVD. First one was WAYY better. This one just dragged completely. I almost fell asleep halfway through it, so i just turned it off.

2) Avatar - I know I'm gonna get criticized here. But this movie was just flat out horrible. Sure the graphics were amazing but it just seemed rather bland to me. Again if there's someone who DID like this movie please feel free to explain why it was such a good movie. I Rented it.

1) Passion of the Christ - Being that I'm a very religious person i just couldn't finish watching the film. seeing him being torchered made me feel sick to my stomach. i saw it in the theater but refused to get my money back. i feel that if i payed for something to go see then i shouldn't feel the need for it back. I did rent it on DVD again a year later and did actually (suprisingly)finish it. I give Mel Gibson credit. He did go a good job with this.

well that's my top 5. There are more i just don't feel like thinking of them all. :P

What Are Yours? :)

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24, 26 January 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#2 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

There are only 2 movies I have ever turned off and refused to ever finish.

Dudley Doright with Brendan Fraser. I think we got about 10 minutes in, and realized it was going to be a trainwreck.

The other one was a German (i think) movie called Nekromantik. It was about some guy that worked cleaning up auto accidents. Pretty disturbing.

I am usually pretty masochistic/optimistic and will sit through the whole movie hoping for some redeeming value.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#3 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

One Missed Call
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#4 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Anything with Adam Sandler, John Travolta, Rob Schneider, Chuck Norris, David Spade and/or Jim Carrey demands turning the channel. I hate them all.

Two movies that come to mind. One was called "Starship". My hubby wanted to go see it on his birthday. That was disgusting. I fell asleep til about 10 minutes before it was over, and then walked out and spent the last few minutes of it in the bathroom.

The other was "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". We rented it one night just to see how bad it was. It was worse.

I can tell you a couple that I think someone owes me at least two to three hours of my life back for. "Starship Troopers" and "Contact". Stupid, stupid, absolutely stupid. I have yet to forgive my other half for those two disasters. He made me go with him to see them. He owes me big time for those two stinkers.

And if he makes me ever see "Buckaroo Banzai" again, I'll throw something through his tv.
Posted Image

#5 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

Open Water might be one of the dumbest movies ever made.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Gigli.

No explanation needed.

#7 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Anything with Adam Sandler

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

To stick with the topic I would have to say I really had trouble finishing "Ghost in the Machine" and "Pearl Harbor" is just terrible as well. Great effects but holy s***, it takes forever to get to the action parts anyway.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#8 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

I can't stand Adam Sandler either. His humor really got stale after his second or third film. I can't tell the difference between them anymore.

For the record, I also didn't think Avatar was worth all the hype it received. It was a modern day version of Dances with Wolves, Ferngully, Pocahontas, The Last Samurai. A lot of folks have a hard time grasping that the graphics were the only unique thing about the film.

#9 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Recently, The Tourist and Black Swan ... both were a bore to me.

#10 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

For the record, I also didn't think Avatar was worth all the hype it received. It was a modern day version of Dances with Wolves, Ferngully, Pocahontas, The Last Samurai. A lot of folks have a hard time grasping that the graphics were the only unique thing about the film.

Most James Cameron flicks are masked by amazing effects. The movies themselves are usually camel s***. With the exception of Terminator and T2, of course.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#11 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

should've elaborated more. u dont have to have 5 or more. it could be 2, or 3, or maybe one.

i guesss i just happen to come across terrible movies :ph34r:

#12 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

1) Passion of the Christ - Being that I'm a very religious person i just couldn't finish watching the film. seeing him being torchered made me feel sick to my stomach. i saw it in the theater but refused to get my money back. i feel that if i payed for something to go see then i shouldn't feel the need for it back. I did rent it on DVD again a year later and did actually (suprisingly)finish it. I give Mel Gibson credit. He did go a good job with this.

As someone who believes in God and Jesus too, I didn't even watch the movie, nor do I plan too because of the scenes of him being whipped, spit upon, bleeding, and what not before he was nailed to the cross.

I have to admit, when I rented the first Lord of the Rings I turned it off, I just couldn't sit there any longer and watch. To much introduction... I did see the second and third ones in the theater and enjoyed them.

I'm proud to say I feel asleep in the theater, while watching The Matrix 2. A bunch of friends had this bright idea to go at midnight on opening weekend. Nice comfy chair, lights are off, I was a little bored of the movie, it's after midnight, you do the math, I was out :zzz:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Far too many to name. I'll only limit the list to films which are critically acclaimed, but those that I found disappointing. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I actually like them upon a second viewing, which has happened to me before several times. Sometimes, one viewing isn't enough, or I may just not be in the mood to watch it.

About 90% of Jean-Luc Godard's films.
Eraserhead
A Woman Under the Influence
2001: A Space Odyssey
Nashville
Sophie's Choice
The Last Temptation of Christ
Intolerance
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 wingnut22

wingnut22

F#$%!

• Silver Booster
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

I had to watch the movie Crash for a class in college and write a paper on it. I was not a fan of the movie, would have turned it off if not for the grade I needed on the paper...

Posted Image
"They are younger. We are not called younger anymore. Except to Cheli. To him, everyone is younger." - Pavel Datsyuk

#15 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Far too many to name. I'll only limit the list to films which are critically acclaimed, but those that I found disappointing. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I actually like them upon a second viewing, which has happened to me before several times. Sometimes, one viewing isn't enough, or I may just not be in the mood to watch it.

About 90% of Jean-Luc Godard's films.
Eraserhead
A Woman Under the Influence
2001: A Space Odyssey
Nashville
Sophie's Choice
The Last Temptation of Christ
Intolerance

What were the Godard films you didn't turn off? Godard is hit or miss for me, but I loved Contempt and Made in U.S.A.

Also, those are some good movies on your list. Minus Eraserhead, and Sophie's Choice wasn't terrible, but was extremely mediocre.

I honestly can't think of a movie I haven't finished, I'll have to dwell on it some.

#16 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

What were the Godard films you didn't turn off? Godard is hit or miss for me, but I loved Contempt and Made in U.S.A.

Also, those are some good movies on your list. Minus Eraserhead, and Sophie's Choice wasn't terrible, but was extremely mediocre.

I honestly can't think of a movie I haven't finished, I'll have to dwell on it some.

Contempt is one of my top 5 favorite movies ever. I can watch that film every day.
Breathless is another one I love.
I enjoyed Masculin Feminin and Vivre sa Vie.
Pierrot Le Fou is somehow watchable, probably due to the music, colors and the leads.

I've seen everything else he made in the 60's (which I guess is like another 12 films), and hated each one. I don't think even Godard took those films seriously. I feel like he deliberately screwed them up to see how much he could get away with. Critics and fans called these films masterpieces, which I think amused him somewhat.

I'm a huge film buff, but am envious of people who can watch every acclaimed film and like all of them. I just can't accept some films as good, even if everyone else does.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 26 January 2011 - 10:52 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#17 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

I can only think of a few that I really couldn't stand, and since I've never actually walked out on a movie I'll tell you the 2 that I would've left if I hadn't been with a group of people.

Ultraviolet
The Happening

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#18 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Contempt is one of my top 5 favorite movies ever. I can watch that film every day.
Breathless is another one I love.
I enjoyed Masculin Feminin and Vivre sa Vie.
Pierrot Le Fou is somehow watchable, probably due to the music, colors and the leads.

I've seen everything else he made in the 60's (which I guess is like another 12 films), and hated each one. I don't think even Godard took those films seriously. I feel like he deliberately screwed them up to see how much he could get away with. Critics and fans called these films masterpieces, which I think amused him somewhat.

I'm a huge film buff, but am envious of people who can watch every acclaimed film and like all of them. I just can't accept some films as good, even if everyone else does.

Vivre sa Vie is good, forgot about that one. I haven't seen Pierrot Le Fou, but I did just buy La Choinese.

#19 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

Okay, to balance things out, is there a movie that, no matter where in the movie it is on tv, you have to watch it to the end? I have at least three I do that with:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I could watch that ten thousand times and still love it.
The Princess Bride - just too good to pass up
Pirate Radio - This movie is awesome...and if you rent it, you have to watch the deleted scenes. They had us rolling on the floor.
Posted Image

#20 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Okay, to balance things out, is there a movie that, no matter where in the movie it is on tv, you have to watch it to the end? I have at least three I do that with:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I could watch that ten thousand times and still love it.
The Princess Bride - just too good to pass up
Pirate Radio - This movie is awesome...and if you rent it, you have to watch the deleted scenes. They had us rolling on the floor.

Miracle
Boondock Saints
Any of the Bourne Movies
Elf
Fanboys
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users