• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

Oh how wonderful! I'm not the only one who loves that movie. I have this thing about movies set in Scotland and Ireland, since I'm of a Celtic heritage. That's why I love movies like "Ned Devine", and "Local Hero". I like Bill Forsyth's work a lot.

Also one to keep an eye out for is called "The Boys and Girl of County Clare". It's set around a music competition. Very neat little flick. At least the music is good.

Okay, to get back to the topic, we were channel surfing the other night, and I found the worst Sean Connery movie I think was ever made. Ever see a turkey called "Zardoz"? Don't. You'll thank me for this later.
Posted Image

#82 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

Oh how wonderful! I'm not the only one who loves that movie. I have this thing about movies set in Scotland and Ireland, since I'm of a Celtic heritage. That's why I love movies like "Ned Devine", and "Local Hero". I like Bill Forsyth's work a lot.

Also one to keep an eye out for is called "The Boys and Girl of County Clare". It's set around a music competition. Very neat little flick. At least the music is good.

Okay, to get back to the topic, we were channel surfing the other night, and I found the worst Sean Connery movie I think was ever made. Ever see a turkey called "Zardoz"? Don't. You'll thank me for this later.

Re: "Zardoz" - No. And I guess I can be grateful! It's probably akin to John Wayne playing Ghengis Khan, mebee? :lol:

I saw "The Boys and Girl of County Clare" listed on Directv. I will watch for its re-listing. I love Irish music. I'm part that too, but I'm pretty sure I'd like it anyway. We'll be seeing The Chieftans here, later this month. Whee! It's always struck me as somewhat paradoxical that some of the happiest music written (i.e., Irish/Appalachian, African, etc.) was composed during very sad, harsh times. It had/has to be a form of therapy, methinks.

Meanwhile, the name of the movie I couldn't remember is "The Lady Killers". Tom Hanks did a remake of it that even for him, was not even close. The original was probably made in the '60's. Alec Guinness and a younger, pudgier Peter Sellers are both in it. Another older but good one is, "The Green Man", with Alistair Sim. He is superb as an assassin. I kid you not. That one is hard to come by, but worth it if you like funny British movies.

I know I'll think of more, far-out movies later. :lol:

Edited by Vladifan, 09 February 2011 - 11:12 AM.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#83 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

You and I are on the same wavelength...quirky little movies that sneak into town and sneak back out again, without a big audience. It's why I love Bill Forsyth, the Coen Brothers, and little movies like "Local Hero: and "Ned Devine". It's that human comedy, that uniqueness that makes them so special and unforgettable.

Me, I don't go for the big buck movies. I fell asleep during "Contact" (and someone still owes me three hours of my life back for that) and also "Independence Day" - that showed up on tv one night, and I was asleep within five minutes. Honest to God. "Starship Troopers", "Battlefield Earth", all those type movies - sleep inducing, to say the least. Even "Avatar" put me into never-never land.

Speaking of never-never land, check out a movie called just that - "Finding Neverland" with Johnny Depp playing James Barrie, the author of "Peter Pan". Really sweet little movie.
Posted Image

#84 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

You and I are on the same wavelength...quirky little movies that sneak into town and sneak back out again, without a big audience. It's why I love Bill Forsyth, the Coen Brothers, and little movies like "Local Hero: and "Ned Devine". It's that human comedy, that uniqueness that makes them so special and unforgettable.

Me, I don't go for the big buck movies. I fell asleep during "Contact" (and someone still owes me three hours of my life back for that) and also "Independence Day" - that showed up on tv one night, and I was asleep within five minutes. Honest to God. "Starship Troopers", "Battlefield Earth", all those type movies - sleep inducing, to say the least. Even "Avatar" put me into never-never land.

Speaking of never-never land, check out a movie called just that - "Finding Neverland" with Johnny Depp playing James Barrie, the author of "Peter Pan". Really sweet little movie.

I agree that we are of the same great mind syndrome. :hehe: However...I really liked "Contact". As a rule, I enjoy most space-type movies, especially those related to the possibility of life on other planets. (I.E., "Close Encounters".) I loved the special effects and especially, the cinematography when she "lands" on the beach. And her "dad's" message to her is one I hope to actually memorize: "You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other."

I've also watched "Independence Day" about five times. I really enjoy Will Smith and his gift for ad-lib, along with of course, the special effects. I also enjoy Jeff Goldblum's work. I did not like the voice that Bill Pullman came up with. Any more than I enjoyed any of the scenes in "Close Encounters" related to the the huge fight/conflict Dreyfuss had with his 'family'. But meanwhile, I admit it. I'm pretty much kid-like when it comes to space/special effects movies. There are really bad ones out there too. What was the one with George Clooney? "Solaris"? URP!!

I very much enjoyed "Finding Neverland". Johnny Depp can pretty much play anything. But I totally avoid his drug-infested-type movies. WHAT redeeming social value?! I looked up "Local Hero" on IMBD. I have seen it, but I really need to see it again, fer sure!

Oh yeah! I found a copy of "The Green Man" on EBay for $19.00. It already arrived! Whee! Whooopeee! :D

Did I mention, "The Triplets of Belleville"? It's a weird and wondrous little animated French film. Methinks it's worth a looksee.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#85 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

Another favorite movie of mine is "Inherit the Wind". I should have waited till after TCM did its run of Oscar-winning movies to make my list. :)

#86 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,159 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Another favorite movie of mine is "Inherit the Wind". I should have waited till after TCM did its run of Oscar-winning movies to make my list. :)

I love that movie as well.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#87 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

I too am a Johnny Depp fan. Some of his movies are really great ("Finding Neverland is one of my favorites), but a movie like "From Hell" is really creepy and grisly. Ain't for the faint of heart. I managed to get through it once, but a second watching is not in the cards. Same for "Sweeney Todd" - once is enough.

One of the reasons I love "Local Hero" (besides the story and the scenery) is the beautiful music of Mark Knopfler. He's always been one of my favorite musicians. Soundtracks are so important to movies.

I'm gonna put you on the search for a movie, and if you find it, good on you. It's called "Bellizaire the Cajun". Great movie with Armand Asante. The music is from a legendary Cajun band called Beausoliel, based in Lafayette, LA. They're friends of ours and have been for years. It's a great little movie, and the music lends itself to it so well. If you can find it, it's worth a look see.
Posted Image

#88 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

I love that movie as well.

It is a timeless, classic movie in every sense of the word. And the lead actors (Tracy and March) were superb. :thumbup:

I too am a Johnny Depp fan. Some of his movies are really great ("Finding Neverland is one of my favorites), but a movie like "From Hell" is really creepy and grisly. Ain't for the faint of heart. I managed to get through it once, but a second watching is not in the cards. Same for "Sweeney Todd" - once is enough.

One of the reasons I love "Local Hero" (besides the story and the scenery) is the beautiful music of Mark Knopfler. He's always been one of my favorite musicians. Soundtracks are so important to movies.

I'm gonna put you on the search for a movie, and if you find it, good on you. It's called "Bellizaire the Cajun". Great movie with Armand Asante. The music is from a legendary Cajun band called Beausoliel, based in Lafayette, LA. They're friends of ours and have been for years. It's a great little movie, and the music lends itself to it so well. If you can find it, it's worth a look see.

I will definitely look for "Bellizaire". Netflix just might have it. And I love all kinds of music except chamber music, improv jazz, and vocal country western. I am already lookin' forward to a little (I assume) Irish and a little Cajun git daown! Thanks! ;)

#89 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

My definition of Cajun music is "roll up the rug and dance til you drop". I got a chance to work with Cajun musicians live and at the end of the show, the host came out and told everyone, "If the person beside you was not at least tapping their feet, you'd better check their pulse, because they're either comatose or dead."

"Bellizaire" has been out for a long time, and I only saw it on tv once. Thank God I recorded it.

My tastes in music run to everything but opera, rap, heavy metal and dance. If it grates on my ears or my head, I don't want it.
Posted Image

#90 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

My definition of Cajun music is "roll up the rug and dance til you drop". I got a chance to work with Cajun musicians live and at the end of the show, the host came out and told everyone, "If the person beside you was not at least tapping their feet, you'd better check their pulse, because they're either comatose or dead."

"Bellizaire" has been out for a long time, and I only saw it on tv once. Thank God I recorded it.

My tastes in music run to everything but opera, rap, heavy metal and dance. If it grates on my ears or my head, I don't want it.

I checked Netflix for Bellizaire, and it says "unknown". I'll try Amazoning it. Meanwhile, oh HELL yeah with not liking opera and heavy metal. Do not know how I could have forgotten I didn't like them. I even have problems with the guy who sings the National Anthem for the Hawks. I just don't appreciate that kind of singing voice. In fact with some singers of that type (not him especially), their vibrato is so wide you can't tell what note they're thinking about hitting.

#91 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

I see a lot of dishing on Jim Carrey and lumping him in with Will Ferrell.

Has NOBODY here seen "The Truman Show"?

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#92 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

I checked Netflix for Bellizaire, and it says "unknown". I'll try Amazoning it. Meanwhile, oh HELL yeah with not liking opera and heavy metal. Do not know how I could have forgotten I didn't like them. I even have problems with the guy who sings the National Anthem for the Hawks. I just don't appreciate that kind of singing voice. In fact with some singers of that type (not him especially), their vibrato is so wide you can't tell what note they're thinking about hitting.

I hear you on the guy who sings the Anthem in Chicago. I don't like the one in Boston either. Of course, I can't even tolerate Karen Newman, so that tells you how bad I am.

As far as Jim Carrey, once he went from the small screen to the big, he lost all credibility.

I was reminded of another actor with a good body of character work - Tim Curry. My favorite - "Pass the Ammo". Find that one, you find a gem.

Edited by Kira, 21 February 2011 - 01:55 PM.

Posted Image

#93 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

I hear you on the guy who sings the Anthem in Chicago. I don't like the one in Boston either. Of course, I can't even tolerate Karen Newman, so that tells you how bad I am.

As far as Jim Carrey, once he went from the small screen to the big, he lost all credibility.

I was reminded of another actor with a good body of character work - Tim Curry. My favorite - "Pass the Ammo". Find that one, you find a gem.

I don't know the Boston Baritone. I may have to check out at least the opening of one of their game. but I'd probably agree anyay. About vibratos - you probably already heard this, but there's a line that goes, "His vibrato was so wide you could drive a truck through it." I can vouch for that because I've heard 'em! Again, I agree with you about Karen Newman. She's OK, but I'm not crazy about her. She pitches it so she can sing it all in chest voice (I can hear LGW male comments now... <_< )which is ok but she's basically a pops singer. And did you know there really is no such word as "per-o-liss"? I've gotten to where I have to turn down the sound when she comes to that part. :ph34r:

Also agree about Jim Carrey. He wasn't bad in "The Truman Show", (I agree, Eva. ) but that's it. And Tim Curry is indeed marvelous!! I can't think of anything I've seen him in that I didn't like. I hear he's equally excellent onstage. I don't know "Pass the Ammo" but I will check it out. As for "Bellizaire", I checked it out on Amazon and it must be a really, REELY good one because a used copy was around $30.00! :blink:

Edited by Vladifan, 21 February 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#94 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Nuthin' like starting a new topic, but for singers, I really enjoy Josh Grogan (sp?), and Celine Dion. EXcellent, easy voices that seem to absolutely soar. :thumbup:

#95 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

Some good movies that have come to me just sitting here - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, The Hangover, No Country For Old Men, The Bourne Identity Supremacy and Ultimatum, Gladiator, Green Mile, The Last Samurai, The Shawshank Redemption, Shooter, Big Fish, Forrest Gump, The Book of Eli, The Last King of Scotland, the Underworld movies are decent action vampire/werewolf movies, 007 movies are pretty cool. There aren't really any actors I really like/dislike. John Noble is absolutely amazing in the TV series Fringe. Will Ferrill is a guy I either really like in his movies, or I think is just flat out stupid, I cant decide on that guy.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#96 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Nuthin' like starting a new topic, but for singers, I really enjoy Josh Grogan (sp?), and Celine Dion. EXcellent, easy voices that seem to absolutely soar. :thumbup:

It's Groban, they are both wonderful singers. I don't gravitate towards their music but whenever I hear it I always remark how good it is.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#97 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Vlad, that's interesting about "Bellizaire". Thirty bucks? Rare indeed. I'll have to see if I can dig out my copy on VHS and transfer it to disk.

cjm, you brought up a good movie, "The Last King of Scotland". I thought Forrest Whittaker did a marvelous job as Idi Amin. If you didn't know just how evil a person he was, you'd almost find yourself liking him after that movie. But then you realize just what a vindictive, diablolic, scheming little bastard he really turned out to be. I also love "Shawshank Redemption"...especially the end where he says, "I hope the Pacific is as blue as it is in my dreams. I hope." That's one of those few movies where you come into the middle of it on tv, and you watch it til the end.
Posted Image

#98 R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle

Just warming up

• Gold Booster
  • 611 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

• Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I could go on all night...
  • Knucklehead - Watched this with my Grandpa, he likes wrestling and this movie had a guy named the Big Show in it. I could barely sit through it.
  • Get Rich or Die Tryin' - 50 Cent movie. Friend of mine dragged to the theater...man its bad.
  • She's Out of My League - Some funny parts, but had a straight face majority of the time
  • Dark Water - Retarded ending
  • Boogyman - Again, one of the dumbest ending's I've seen.

Posted Image

#99 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

It's Groban, they are both wonderful singers. I don't gravitate towards their music but whenever I hear it I always remark how good it is.

Thanks, WizofO. I could have looked that up but I was too damn lazy. :P And I agree about "how" you listen to them. I haven't bought any music CD's in ages and I usually listen to classical music while driving (keeps me from killing people), but when I hear either of them, I DO marvel at their talent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users