• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

InHankWeTrust

We need an Irishmen on the team....

Rate this topic

do you guys in the states not use Paddy as a nickname for Patrick!? :blink:

Too many syllables. In the States we shorten everything down to as few syllables as we can. Patrick is shortened to Pat.

Edited by Konnan511

Too many syllables. In the States we shorten everything down to as few syllables as we can. Patrick is shortened to Pat.

My Dad is called Patrick, some people call him Paddy but most call him Pat

In Scotland we would use Paddy just for Patrick anyway, nothing to do with being Irish. Not sure if that is relevant to the discussion just wanted to join in lol.

Huh, I didn't know that. Learn something new every day. Thanks! :D

Don't you have any Irish in you?

Yeah but Newfies have their own culture and stuff, obviously a lot of Irish ancestory but very different in a lot of ways, people often think a newfie is the same thing as an irishman which is not the case ;)

Newfies drink screech (that'll put hair on your chest) not whiskey... this is probably the biggest difference

Newfies play accordians too.

Other then that its kinda close haha

Thats why we have "Danny" Cleary.

Grown man requesting to go by Danny <_<

I absolutely HATE that! I though Daniel Cleary was weird sounding, but Danny reminds me of little Ronnie Howard.... I also HATE Bill Clements, Nicky Lidstrom, thank God that jackass is off the air!

Isn't the correct Irish name for Patrick, Padrid or Padric? But ya, here in the NAU we use Patty, and trust me,I know how much real Irish folks hate the term St. Patty's Day!

To be honest I never heard of Padrid or Padric. Maybe you mean Padraig?? and I hate the term St. Patty's Day!! :ranting:

Yeah but Newfies have their own culture and stuff, obviously a lot of Irish ancestory but very different in a lot of ways, people often think a newfie is the same thing as an irishman which is not the case ;)

Newfies drink screech (that'll put hair on your chest) not whiskey... this is probably the biggest difference

Newfies play accordians too.

Other then that its kinda close haha

I'm so glad theres another goon slappie on here that's a newfie, it's refreshing :D

I'd say the Screech is the biggest difference, wont see an Irishman putting that anywhere near his mouth, thats for damn sure.

I'm so glad theres another goon slappie on here that's a newfie, it's refreshing :D

I'd say the Screech is the biggest difference, wont see an Irishman putting that anywhere near his mouth, thats for damn sure.

3screech.jpg

...I don't think ANY nationality should be putting that anywhere near his mouth!

Edited by LeftWinger

...I don't think ANY nationality should be putting that anywhere near his mouth!

Haha well if theres any nationality that could stomach it, its a newfie. I mean, you gotta stay warm on a fishing boat somehow right? :cool:

Edited by newfy

I can almost guarantee Eaves isn't Irish. He doesn't look Irish, and Eaves isn't an Irish last name.

I believe that Eaves is of Irish decent. I think English is the other, but I'm not sure.

do you guys in the states not use Paddy as a nickname for Patrick!? :blink:

I believe I can answer this quite nicely. As Patrick is my name, I hate being called Paddy, Patty, Pat or any for of short forms, because they are more commonly used for Patricia. Especially Paddy or Patty, they're a more feminine name in Canada and America.

Isn't the correct Irish name for Patrick, Padrid or Padric? But ya, here in the NAU we use Patty, and trust me,I know how much real Irish folks hate the term St. Patty's Day!

To be honest I never heard of Padrid or Padric. Maybe you mean Padraig?? and I hate the term St. Patty's Day!! :ranting:

This here answers the question. The Irish and Scottish name was original Padraig, each had a bit different pronunciation though.

The Wings may be the only team in hockey that doesn't even have a French Canadian.

I don't think we've had one since Dandenault. At least not long term.

That would be more of a shocker than not having an Irishman.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Get Owen Nolan out of the Swiss league. if i remember correctly he is the only NHL player actually born in Ireland. Of course the Islanders would claim off waivers though....

Yeah Nolan is from Belfast in Northern Ireland.