• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

I absolutely HATE that! I though Daniel Cleary was weird sounding, but Danny reminds me of little Ronnie Howard.... I also HATE Bill Clements, Nicky Lidstrom, thank God that jackass is off the air!

I think you mean Nicky Li*N*dstrom

#42 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

I think you mean Nicky Li*N*dstrom

Oh yea! I was so disgusted by Nicky, that I forgot about the N...

Edited by LeftWinger, 27 January 2011 - 06:53 PM.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#43 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,822 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Yeah but Newfies have their own culture and stuff, obviously a lot of Irish ancestory but very different in a lot of ways, people often think a newfie is the same thing as an irishman which is not the case ;)

Newfies drink screech (that'll put hair on your chest) not whiskey... this is probably the biggest difference

Newfies play accordians too.

Other then that its kinda close haha

I'm so glad theres another goon slappie on here that's a newfie, it's refreshing :D

I'd say the Screech is the biggest difference, wont see an Irishman putting that anywhere near his mouth, thats for damn sure.

#NOMOREKINDL

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

I'm so glad theres another goon slappie on here that's a newfie, it's refreshing :D

I'd say the Screech is the biggest difference, wont see an Irishman putting that anywhere near his mouth, thats for damn sure.

Posted Image

...I don't think ANY nationality should be putting that anywhere near his mouth!

Edited by LeftWinger, 27 January 2011 - 07:05 PM.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#45 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

...I don't think ANY nationality should be putting that anywhere near his mouth!

Haha well if theres any nationality that could stomach it, its a newfie. I mean, you gotta stay warm on a fishing boat somehow right? :cool:

Edited by newfy, 27 January 2011 - 11:03 PM.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#46 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:31 AM

I can almost guarantee Eaves isn't Irish. He doesn't look Irish, and Eaves isn't an Irish last name.

I believe that Eaves is of Irish decent. I think English is the other, but I'm not sure.

do you guys in the states not use Paddy as a nickname for Patrick!? :blink:

I believe I can answer this quite nicely. As Patrick is my name, I hate being called Paddy, Patty, Pat or any for of short forms, because they are more commonly used for Patricia. Especially Paddy or Patty, they're a more feminine name in Canada and America.

Isn't the correct Irish name for Patrick, Padrid or Padric? But ya, here in the NAU we use Patty, and trust me,I know how much real Irish folks hate the term St. Patty's Day!

To be honest I never heard of Padrid or Padric. Maybe you mean Padraig?? and I hate the term St. Patty's Day!! :ranting:

This here answers the question. The Irish and Scottish name was original Padraig, each had a bit different pronunciation though.

#47 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

We should get an Italian like Cammalleri so we can play this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-xsosv6uM0

Bertuzzi is Italian...Isn't he?

There's a decent sized Italian community in Windsor; maybe Kenny needs to look across the river for some prospects...Maybe another Rick Tocchet in the making that needs to be discovered?

Cleary is the only Irishman on the team that I'm aware of.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#48 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

I nominate Hudler to be the designated Irishmen.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#49 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

The Wings may be the only team in hockey that doesn't even have a French Canadian.

I don't think we've had one since Dandenault. At least not long term.

That would be more of a shocker than not having an Irishman.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 28 January 2011 - 12:27 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#50 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Get Owen Nolan out of the Swiss league. if i remember correctly he is the only NHL player actually born in Ireland. Of course the Islanders would claim off waivers though....

#51 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Get Owen Nolan out of the Swiss league. if i remember correctly he is the only NHL player actually born in Ireland. Of course the Islanders would claim off waivers though....

Yeah Nolan is from Belfast in Northern Ireland.

#52 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Yeah Nolan is from Belfast in Northern Ireland.

I think he moved before he was 1 though...
My family is from Kerry. Id gladly sign a contract to play with the Wings if it'll make you guys happy.

#53 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

I think he moved before he was 1 though...
My family is from Kerry. Id gladly sign a contract to play with the Wings if it'll make you guys happy.

Yeah I think you're right. I wish there was some Scottish players in the NHL, if could skate properly I would volunteer myself lol.

#54 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Didn't the Wings have this Irishman at one time?

Posted Image

:hehe:

It would explain why he played like he drank nine pints of Guinness before every game.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#55 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

The Wings may be the only team in hockey that doesn't even have a French Canadian.

I don't think we've had one since Dandenault. At least not long term.

That would be more of a shocker than not having an Irishman.

Je sais - ne pas avoir un Canadien français sur notre bien-aimé Red Wings de Detroit serait comme avoir quelqu'un qui est juif comme le pape.

Il doit y avoir quelques modifications tout de suite!

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#56 GORM19

GORM19

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

lebda is not irish born and raised in chicago

#57 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Je sais - ne pas avoir un Canadien français sur notre bien-aimé Red Wings de Detroit serait comme avoir quelqu'un qui est juif comme le pape.

No hablo.

You'll have to translate in actual English.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#58 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

Gotcha covered...

I know - not having a French Canadian on our beloved Detroit Red Wingswould like to have someone who is Jewish as the pope.

There must be some changes right away!

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#59 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

lebda is not irish born and raised in chicago

You mean playing for the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish really doesn't mean he's of Irish descent? Really? I guess you're going to tell me now that Justin Adbelkader isn't actually from Sparta. :hehe:

It would explain why he played like he drank nine pints of Guinness before every game.

I've done nine pints of Guinness before. Lebda's play wasn't '9 pints drunk'. It was more like 15 at least.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#60 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

This is america, speak American!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".