• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankthaTank

All-Star Draft Discussion

Rate this topic

You know, people can say how "awesome" or "ridiculous" this whole debacle was, but in the end you have to look at it this way:

The NHL took a step outside of the box and this draft looks how a lot of people think about sports outside of their favorite teams. They allowed the players to pick in the way "we" might... a fantasy draft

I think it's a great concept and we'll be looking at Staal's homerism over Nick's Defenseman/Center picking system for a while.

It's a nice change of pace.

I mean what did the NFL do this year? Move the Pro-Bowl to pre-superbowl weekend?

What's the NBA doing?

MLB??

Yeah. Not much.

Certainly you can think it's grasping at straws if you want to, but everyone knows the ASG is nothing more than a show for half-assed friends (what?? I meant fans) and corporate sponsors...

at least make it fun for the guys that have to show up... and for the guys that are picked last. (give tubby a goddamned car) :ph34r:

EDIT: edits in bold. for clarity.

Edited by e_prime

Started that last year. But I hear ya....

Bravo to the NHL?? (when did I say that last?)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

To the sentiment, but to drive the point home even further...

They did?

Anyway... does it matter?

The Pro-Bowl is like the "shoulda-been-there" rather than an ASG... so no matter that date, what difference does it make?

Oh right, it's in Hawaii. Woo! Like any of those guys can't afford a trip to Hawaii?

Each league will probably steal the fantasy draft idea from now on.

And they should. Made for damn good TV and well, even with Lidas being apart of it and being insanely impartial to all of the things he does, I will probably tune in now just to see if his team dominates the way they pretty much should.

Couple of Stamkos bombs from the dot, maybe 3. thumbup.gif

It was pretty fun overall to watch. Loved seeing Carey Price (I think?) talking to Tim Thomas after Shea Weber was picked, saying something like, "Guy was standing between the two dots and fired a hard shot at me. Nearly took my head off. Puck went streaking behind me into the glass. I'm glad it didn't take my head off."

As for Kessel being chunky, there are a couple others in there that could benefit from Weight Watchers (*cough* Buffy *cough*). It's amazing the difference in conditioning level of our guys compared to other teams in the NHL. I guess we have Drapes to thank for that. Not one player on our team isn't pretty chiseled and lean.

I may watch on Sunday now just to see Team Lidstrom obliterate Team Staal.

I'm not surprised. Kessel isn't even the best player on his team. Grabovski and MacArthur have been outplaying him pretty much all season long.

Phil got in on name power alone.

He has name power? Not intended to be a smart ass question. I really don't know.

Sadly yes. What other explanation is there? Based on the way Phil Kessel has played this year he has no business being there.

Edited by puffy

His defensive game sucks, but to be honest he's a HIGHLY talented player. Possibly top 10 in the NHL.

Kessel in the top 10...seriously?

Burkie is that you?

The guy is consistently inconsistent. He's third on the Leafs in scoring and he's tied with Brett Lebda at -19.

All-Star? I don't think so!

Edited by puffy

Don't want to scroll through all 11 pages but did anyone ask this already? So, they had each player's jersey in white and blue depending on who picked them ??

They had to.

It's not much of a cost for the NHL, really. 36 x 2 = 72 jerseys made. Compared to how many most NHL teams have ready to have letters/numbers sewn on in case someone comes up from an AHL team or gets signed, it's not that big of a number.

Kessel in the top 10...seriously?

Burkie is that you?

The guy is consistently inconsistent. He's third on the Leafs in scoring and he's tied with Brett Lebda at -19.

All-Star? I don't think so!

He might be inconsistent, but that has nothing to do with talent. He gushes talent. What do you expect him to do with the highly offensive talent of Bozak and Crabb (A career AHL-er). Put him on a line with Datyuk and Zetterberg, or Franzen and Filppula then you'll see something.

Damn right he would have. And would have been better for it. Staal feeling like he had to take Ward pretty much screwed that team over a tad.

The "MY BOY" thing was priceless though with every pick.

Actually now that think of it, both Datsyuk and Zetterberg could've been there. In that case, he probably would've picked Pav first and then hope to get Z in the next round.