• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankthaTank

All-Star Draft Discussion

Rate this topic

Lidstrom assembled a defensive fist team. In fact it is quite similar to what Detroit would be if we would have no cap restriction :)

Now THAT would be an interesting topic. What would the Red Wings look like on paper if the NHL had no salary cap?

Now THAT would be an interesting topic. What would the Red Wings look like on paper if the NHL had no salary cap?

Probably not too much different, just wouldn't have people taking discounts or structuring deals to take advantage of how the CBA works.

Keep in mind that the cap is already $59M. I honestly couldn't see the organization spending more than $75M on a team as a whole.

Maybe another star blue liner like Weber, Suter, Doughty, etc, but not a whole lot different.

Don't want to scroll through all 11 pages but did anyone ask this already? So, they had each player's jersey in white and blue depending on who picked them ??

They had to.It's not much of a cost for the NHL, really. 36 x 2 = 72 jerseys made. Compared to how many most NHL teams have ready to have letters/numbers sewn on in case someone comes up from an AHL team or gets signed, it's not that big of a number.

Yeah. Just look at the rookies. They had both sweaters in their hands while waiting to find out which team they were going to be on.

I think Eriksson got picked a bit late, would definitaly pick him before Backes/Elias.. I would prob pick Stastny before backes/elias too.

Lidstrom won the draft for sure imo, but I was not expecting anything else from Lids :)

It was pretty fun overall to watch. Loved seeing Carey Price (I think?) talking to Tim Thomas after Shea Weber was picked, saying something like, "Guy was standing between the two dots and fired a hard shot at me. Nearly took my head off. Puck went streaking behind me into the glass. I'm glad it didn't take my head off."

As for Kessel being chunky, there are a couple others in there that could benefit from Weight Watchers (*cough* Buffy *cough*). It's amazing the difference in conditioning level of our guys compared to other teams in the NHL. I guess we have Drapes to thank for that. Not one player on our team isn't pretty chiseled and lean.

I may watch on Sunday now just to see Team Lidstrom obliterate Team Staal.

i dont see how any NHL player can be fat, aside from maybe a goalie :hehe:

seriously though, all that skating and moving, shooting, coordination, balance, stamina, etc. I would think you'd have to be pretty in shape to be any good at hockey, let alone the NHL

i had one decent picture of both teams but i was RIGHT behind the nhl network desk so its rough.

i will admit the draft was pretty neat. my biggest problem is that most canes fans (and all "canes fans") are so dumb about this sport. they only know to cheer when its about a canes player and a few of them still booed opposing team players. and the constant "skinner" chant was soooo annoying. i understand being proud of your player but they were overkilling it. i will give them a little credit when they got smart enough to do the "team staal" chant. but only in carolina can they take the three syllable word hurricane and make it two..

they had a good area for the cup but the way they showed the other trophies was TERRIBLE.

overall though, not a bad set up. i picked up a team lidstrom shirt too!

some of the best things that happened were said in the crowd during commercial breaks and especially after the draft was over. there was the one fan, the overly loud and annoying fan, who just kept yelling for canes players to wave. it took FOREVER to get skinner to wave to him which i thought was hilarious. skinner looked freaked out by this guy and wasnt gonna wave. The fan still kept going though, yelling at price to then poke skinner and told him to wave. after the draft someone from nhl network was interviewing kesler and kane and next thing you hear is "hey kane, we got a cab from new york for ya outside!" from all the chicago fans. :lol:

Edited by RedWingskiddo

Lidstrom assembled a defensive fist team. In fact it is quite similar to what Detroit would be if we would have no cap restriction :)

So true. It's obvious Lidstrom took Kenny's advice and built from the defense out. And he also got some great goaltending to go with it.

Go team Lidstrom!!

My observations:

Kessel looks just like my Brother in law who works at a water store delivering bottles of water. The entire time I was watching just kept thinking how Kessel looks like he's a guy who works at a The Beer Store somewhere near Toronto loading trunks with cases of beer. his picture on NHL Allstar website looks like a mug shot after he gets picked up breaking Canadian Bawdy House laws.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8473548

Hiller might well be the ugliest athlete I've ever seen in my life behind Scottie Pippen and Detlaf Schrempf. He could have captain several other players on Team Ugly. Perhaps he could have picked: Erikkson, Chara, Buff and Burns to start.

Several of these guys looked like they really were annoyed by other players- Tim Thomas seemed irritated by carry Price. Duchene also seemed to annoy a few players.

Toews looked like he was about to cry- my wife kept saying she felt bad for that "toes" guy.

Edited by Lord Stanely