Photo
- - - - -

Is Barret Jackman the worst Calder Trophy winner ever?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

This popped into my head when I saw a comment in the recent St Louis GDT bemoaning his robbing Zetterberg (and Nash) of the Calder.

Now of course, the further you go back, the less we all know about the players, but the names from 1970 onwards are familiar to most and in that period I can't find a Calder winner who has done less with his career than Jackman (and had such an undeserving winning season). An honourable mention goes to Sergei Samsonov, but at least he was a consistent 20 goal scorer at a time when scoring 20 goals was an achievement.

http://en.wikipedia....Memorial_Trophy

Discuss.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#2 CAredwingsfan91

CAredwingsfan91

I'm back!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

that dude looks like an alien i've never liked him and every time i see him play against the wings and zetterberg i just always think how big of a mistake that was giving jackman the calder. IMO Jackman hasn't done s*it and his value has been falling dramatically every season for a calder winner i just don't think he's THAT good.
You shook Sinatra's hand, you should know better.

#3 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

I agree, but I'll play devil's advocate:

Posted Image

EDIT: Also, looking back, Brit Selby seems like a pretty weak choice.

1965-66 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 61 14 13 27 26

NHL Totals 347 55 62 117 171

Must not have been any rookies in the league that year.

Edited by mjlegend, 28 January 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

I've said that before about Jackass.

He's no better player now than he was his rookie year. The guy has evolved into nothing.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#5 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

No doubt it should have gone to Z.
Posted Image

#6 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Holy s***.... Sergei Makarov won it in 89-90 when he was 31 and people bitched about Jimmy possibly getting it last year at 25 Posted Image

And yes Jackman is horrible. I tend to agree with this.

Honorable mention would have to be what mjlegend posted with Raycroft. He has been quite useless.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#7 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

Gotta admire Teemu's rookie season totals.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#8 CAredwingsfan91

CAredwingsfan91

I'm back!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

if this topic was made at the beginning of the season i would have definitely mentioned Tyler Myers.
You shook Sinatra's hand, you should know better.

#9 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

How's that Calder looking now, Jackoff?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#10 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

I actually got into an argument a few years back with a blues fan about how that calder was totally deserved as Jackman was better at that time.

Maybe, Maybe not, but hindsight being what it is, it's a joke.

#11 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Holy s***.... Sergei Makarov won it in 89-90 when he was 31 and people bitched about Jimmy possibly getting it last year at 25 Posted Image

Pretty sure they changed some kind of criteria after that season. Maybe that you couldn't have played more than a couple of professional seasons or something, I don't know...

#12 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Swell. Now my blood pressure's back up. He is my least favorite player, ever. He is hockey's black hole, except after the whistle when he really comes/knee-jerks alive. He talks like Dr. Strangelove and arm-wise, he's about as spastic and uncontrolled. He.has.accomplished.s***.

He deserved that trophy as much as I would have, and I've been on skates (mostly double-runners) about five times in my life.

:angry: :shout: :ranting:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#13 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Steve mason ain't looking too hot the years after his Calder season.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#14 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Steve mason ain't looking too hot the years after his Calder season.

i was gonna say this too but his team around him is pretty much garbage.

#15 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

No. It's laughable to suggest that Jackman was a bad Calder winner. He was extremely impressive in his first year in the league. I remember watching him play against the Canucks and thinking I was watching a future Norris candidate. As a matter of fact, that same year there were two teams I looked forward to playing more than any other; the Wings and Blues, and that was because of the battles that Bertuzzi had with Chelios and Jackman.

Jackman was an outstanding Norris pick. He just failed to develop.
It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#16 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

No. It's laughable to suggest that Jackman was a bad Calder winner. He was extremely impressive in his first year in the league. I remember watching him play against the Canucks and thinking I was watching a future Norris candidate. As a matter of fact, that same year there were two teams I looked forward to playing more than any other; the Wings and Blues, and that was because of the battles that Bertuzzi had with Chelios and Jackman.

Jackman was an outstanding Norris pick. He just failed to develop.

I think maybe the purpose of this thread was to suggest that, in the grand scheme of all Calder winners in the history of the award, he has turned out to be the worst. In which case I would agree. Far from a laughable thing. I don't think people are saying his ACTUAL rookie season was bad. But, to look at the other Calder winners, his career has come up short to live up to that.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#17 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

One of the worst, yes. The worst of the modern era, probably.

#18 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Jackman wasn't even the best rookie defenseman that season; Bouwmeester was.

Both played about 20 minutes on their team on the first pair of a fairly thin defense corps; Jackman rode shotgun with Al MacInnis while Bouwmeester spent time largely with Ozolinsh or Majesky.

Given the injuries to Ozolinsh and Pronger, Jackman was basically the #2 in St. Louis and Bouwmeester the #1 in Florida.

Edited by eva unit zero, 28 January 2011 - 09:32 PM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#19 Detroit40oz

Detroit40oz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:34 AM

hugh jackman is the superior jackman Posted Image

#20 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

hugh jackman is the superior jackman Posted Image

OH yeah. In every sense of the word. :wub:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.