• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zion

Skills Competiton

Rate this topic

that whole thing was such a joke. i was really looking forward to it and it was just disappointing.

Also, Matt Duchene is 19 years old, which makes that vodka comment even more funny.

did brad richards look a little boozed to anyone else? maybe thats how duchene got his vodka?? :lol: just tell him not to take lessons from kane...

this whole skills thing is a joke, these guys dont take it too seriously. not to mention they only play at 50% for the game.

needless to say, ill be rocking my team lidstrom shirt tomorrow anyway. its just awesome alone saying "team lidstrom". never gonna see anything like it again.

Edited by RedWingskiddo

I wonder what ASSets Carissa Thompson has that she was able to get that job.

Oh yeah... I went to a Lions game a couple years ago when she used to work for FOX NFL and sat front row right next to the Lions end zone. I don't really like football but I have to say that to watch her from behind as she walked was the only part of that afternoon that made the whole experience worth my time. Mm-mmm...

drooling-homer.gif

smiley-sex023.gif

14.2 to win the skating comp? Wow.

That's kinda slow for "fast" skaters.

Jiri Fischer posted something like a 13.8 a few years back, and Fedorov and Coffey posted 13.5 and 13.6 in 1994. Fedorov beat Gartner's record with a 13.38 or something in 1996, only to have Gartner beat it back by something like .02 on the very next lap.

Helm would almost certainly be sub-14; he's way faster than guys like Hall and Grabner. But would he match Fischer's time? He's not Fedorov fast, but he might be Fischer fast.

the nhl should do what the nba does for their skills competition. invite certain players who posses a lot of skill in a particular area (e.g. in the nba: three point shooting, dunking) and have them compete alongside the "true" all-stars.

in the nhl, this would mean that we could see guys like helm in the fastest skater competition, even though he wouldn't be playing in the actual game. we could also see other guys in the nhl who can shoot 100+ mph, or guys who are really good and creative on breakaways, etc.

the way the nhl has it set up right now, we get to see which all-star is the fastest (even though we know there are guys in the nhl that are faster). if they changed the format (and not to mention get some competent people to run the thing), it would improve the quality of the event for the fans.

14.2 to win the skating comp? Wow.

That's kinda slow for "fast" skaters.

Jiri Fischer posted something like a 13.8 a few years back, and Fedorov and Coffey posted 13.5 and 13.6 in 1994. Fedorov beat Gartner's record with a 13.38 or something in 1996, only to have Gartner beat it back by something like .02 on the very next lap.

Helm would almost certainly be sub-14; he's way faster than guys like Hall and Grabner. But would he match Fischer's time? He's not Fedorov fast, but he might be Fischer fast.

Wiki says tied the 13.5 record in 96

But I would love to see that years fastest skater event. Such speed.

The only parts I like about the skills event are the speed, hardest shot, and shootout relay. That skills relay they had almost put me in my sleep.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Well, i liked the skills competition. Sure they were disorganized, but aside from the wacky crazy out of your pants shootout attempts, I liked this thing.

Chara is a beast. Lidstrom looked extremely comfortable in front of a camera 9maybe a NHL TV deal?) Eric Staal is a great guy and repped his city perfectly.

I didn't get past the stoooopid, waste of time, twenty minutes I'll never get back breakaway debacle. Unorganized, cheesy and bad music. Not compelling in the slightest.

It was better last year, where it was more sped up.

This time it was like a real shootout, with ample time for replays after every freaking shot. Just took too long. If they'll do it again, they need to make it faster next time.

It was better last year, where it was more sped up.

This time it was like a real shootout, with ample time for replays after every freaking shot. Just took too long. If they'll do it again, they need to make it faster next time.

It was a little better last year. Maybe they should set up another net at the blue line facing the other one and make the player do five figure eights around the nets with someone feeding the puck into the center every time he comes around. That would speed it up. :)

All in all I thought the show was disappointing. Both of the shootout competitions sucked and the whole thing seemed disorganized. Too much other stuff on the ice, distracted from the action. And for a two hour show, there was little enough action to begin with.

I think what they should do is have each team (or each team that wants to) send one entrant for each event. Then at the end of each event have the top 4 or 8 in a mini-playoff. At the end of it all, could maybe have the top 4 teams compete in a relay.

Fastest skater, hardest shot, accuracy shooting, puck handling/agility skating, and passing.

Fastest skater I'd leave as is. Hardest shot I'd say give 3 shots instead of 2. Accuracy could either stay as is or combine it somehow with the one-timer thing from the relay (say, hit the targets, then complate a one-timer from each of 5 different spots on the ice, maybe including at least one backhand shot). Puck handling could combine the two drills from the relay with a new section, maybe flipping the puck over and/or through different obstacles. Passing would be the relay event, plus a new section adding some moving targets and/or moving obstacles.

Shootouts are tougher. With two players against each other a great or bad play by one can make the other look better or worse than they really were. Not sure how to improve the shootouts. Maybe not have a contest, but instead a 15 minute exhibition by Datsyuk. :)

I would love to see helm in the fastest skater for sure. From what i gathered up in the internet back in 2007 at training camp helm clocked in at 13.2. Hes compared a lot to mason raymond from the canucks and masons most recent time in 2009 is 13.55. We got a speedster with us :D

Oh by the way, Just joined up. How you all doing

I would love to see helm in the fastest skater for sure. From what i gathered up in the internet back in 2007 at training camp helm clocked in at 13.2. Hes compared a lot to mason raymond from the canucks and masons most recent time in 2009 is 13.55. We got a speedster with us :D

Oh by the way, Just joined up. How you all doing

You're too optimistic, get out of here. ph34r.gif