• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Red Wings Skills Contest

Rate this topic

I was wondering if the Red Wings have their own skills contest before or during the season, similar to the ASG format?

If they did, then I'd be curious to know who won what. If they don't, I see a skills contest going something like this:

Fastest Skater: Darren Helm. Draper is not as fast as he once was and Lebda is no longer here. Helm wins hands down with Draper coming second.

Hardest Shooter: Jonathan Ericsson. I don't think we have any really hard shooters, but it's either him, Stuart or Franzen. I pick Ericsson.

Breakaway Challenges: Pavel Datsyuk. No one can do what he can do with the puck. That may go for the whole league.

Accuracy Shooting: Johan Franzen. Can pick corners better than anyone on our team. A few years ago I'd pick Zetterberg, but he's no longer the top sniper on the team. The other guys would just hit the boards and glass, most notably Filppula.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Mursak would give Helm a run for his money on fastest skater and Eaves is pretty good at picking the corners too against Mule.

esteef

Mursak is pretty fast, but I don't think he's faster then Helm.

Too bad Helm is unlikely to ever be an All-Star, because I was thinking today how cool it would be to see him in the fastest skater contest. Don't know if he could beat Mike Gartner's record, but it would still be fun to see him compete.

Probably Ericcson.

Lol, thats sad.

And while Helm is no doubt quick as hell on a break away and whatnot, I am not so sure how well being the fastest skater in a straight line, would translate if he had to race around the entire perimeter of the ice surface like the do in the ASG skills.

Fastest Skater: Helm

Shooting: Hudler

Break a way: Datsyuk

Hardest Shot: Stuart (Yes I'm aware of Big Es AHL 100 MPH shot)

Stand up: Bert

Talent Portion: Eave's Goal Face

Disguise: Miller's old man hair

Hockey Player's wives swimsuit contest: Emma

WE used to do it. Every team used to do it, and the best times/scores/ records from around the league would then compete at the ASG Skills competition. So, you'd have the hardest shots in the league, the fastest skaters, best stickhandlers etc.

I went to the wing's Skills comp during the 95-96 season. It costa canned good to get in, and we sat lower bowl. Upper bowl was empty. Hardest shot was actually won by, gulp, Stu Grimson.

That was his 2nd year in a row he won it, and pretty sure he shot it a bit under 95.

I was 11 when I went, and it's too bad they don't have it anymore....Cause what a great experience...

Just like the Red Wings Fan Fest / Red Wings Rally. Got tons of autographs during those. Never was atthe right place right time for Yzerman and Fedorov, but I did manage to Get Draper, Osgood, Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Kozlov, Primeau, Dandenault, Cicarrelli, Bob Errey, and What would I do without my coveted Yan Golubovsky Auto?

Guest stinky fish taco

i think there's a small chance that helm could make it into the all star game some time. we've seen lately that he's developing some hands to compliment his speed. if he fully develops he could be a force.

LttDY.gifLttDY.gifLttDY.gifLttDY.gifLttDY.gif

I think Filppula would be 2nd in the fastest skater. Way ahead of old man Draper.

Mursak would beat him if we were using everyone who has played this year. Modano still has his wheels for the most part.

Cleary and Eaves are up there as well - It's one of the reasons I've been pushing for that 2b line of Cleary/Flip/Eaves after Dats and Clears are back.

Probably Ericcson.

Bert is strong enough to wrestle someone to the ice, but that's about it. Abby can't fight for s***, so he wouldn't win it.

Stuart. He doesn't jump in a lot, but he did when he was younger and could handle himself pretty well. Ericssion has the size, but Stuart is much more aggressive and that matters more. Sean Avery is a good example of this.

WE used to do it. Every team used to do it, and the best times/scores/ records from around the league would then compete at the ASG Skills competition. So, you'd have the hardest shots in the league, the fastest skaters, best stickhandlers etc.

I went to the wing's Skills comp during the 95-96 season. It costa canned good to get in, and we sat lower bowl. Upper bowl was empty. Hardest shot was actually won by, gulp, Stu Grimson.

That was his 2nd year in a row he won it, and pretty sure he shot it a bit under 95.

I was 11 when I went, and it's too bad they don't have it anymore....Cause what a great experience...

Just like the Red Wings Fan Fest / Red Wings Rally. Got tons of autographs during those. Never was atthe right place right time for Yzerman and Fedorov, but I did manage to Get Draper, Osgood, Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Kozlov, Primeau, Dandenault, Cicarrelli, Bob Errey, and What would I do without my coveted Yan Golubovsky Auto?

I met Vladdy as well (actually, pretty much the whole team) out here in 96 I believe it was at the Forum after playing the Kings. They were all in the forum club (bar) after the game. Vladdy was one of the nicest hockey player I had ever met.