• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyerberger

Thoughts on Salei

Rate this topic

Well, now that we're to the All-Star break, what's the verdict on Salei from LGW?

Quick numbers:

0g 7a 7p +3

70 hits (2nd on Wings defense)

72 blocks (3rd on Wings defense)

13 takeways (3rd on Wings defense)

23 giveaways (4th [highest] on Wings defense)

36 PIM (2nd [highest] on Wings defense)

5th in TOI/G for Wings defensemen

4th in PKTOI/G for Wings defensemen

Salary: $750k (1.1m cap hit; hit $350k bonuses)

Personally, I think we're getting what we pay for with the guy: A gritty, experienced, reasonably responsible bottom pairing d-man who can eat a fair chunk of minutes and play well on the PK. His defense isn't lights out, but it's solid enough. His offense isn't much, but I can't say I was expecting much other than about the pace he's on right now. And his PIM totals are actually lower than I expected.

Overall I think he's been pretty good. To me, he's just about the new standard for what I hope the Red Wings can have every year from a veteran "3rd pair" defenseman.

I think what I like the most about him is that he's been an excellent fit for the Red Wings system. Salei is someone who spent many years as a top four dman and now you can somewhat tell he enjoys not only playing a lesser role for a team like the Wings but also that he enjoys using his experience to provide a luxury for the Red Wings to have as a theoretical third pair defenseman.

I don't expect much, if any offense from him but he at least has the ability to keep the flow going as part of the puck possession system. When he has the puck I don't feel as nervous watching him as opposed to Lebda or sometimes Lilja. His pinches still aren't great but I think he's slowly getting better at making wise decisions in that area. Overall I just think he has a great offensive tool set as a third pair dman. He can handle and pass the puck, which is a big reason why he fits in so well and opposing teams have to at least respect his shot from the blue line because he is a threat from back there unlike some of the bottom pair dmen the Wings have had in the past.

Defensively I think you always want more from any dman on the team not named Lidstrom. He's got to keep getting better every day. Like I said before, his pinches aren't great. I think he still has to make up his mind on how to defend in front of the net. He does have the ability to sometimes use his stick to tie up players but we've seen many times how he really should have just knocked some guys on their cans. I hope to see him play more physical but just a little bit. So, defensively, not great but still a work in progress like the rest of the team.

All in all, I think it's wonderful that the Wings have someone who is a veteran with all-around ability as a #5 or #6 dman and Salei has played that role well. The true test is the playoffs and I think his experience will definitely pay off then.

I have a love-hate relationship with Salei.

He has moments where he plays outstanding and makes life great.

Then he has plenty of moments where he pinches at inappropriate times and misses the puck and his man causing plenty of odd man rushes.

He is a good value for what he is.

But I would rather still have Lilja.

I have a love-hate relationship with Salei.

He has moments where he plays outstanding and makes life great.

Then he has plenty of moments where he pinches at inappropriate times and misses the puck and his man causing plenty of odd man rushes.

He is a good value for what he is.

But I would rather still have Lilja.

People keep saying they would rather have Lilja... you guys talking about post concussion Lilja? Cuz the pre-concussion Lilja doesn't exist anymore. And from what I saw, post-concussion Lilja was more or less useless.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest screwdahawks

He's not Lilja

Concussions suck. Anyone know if he is currently playing??????

Well, now that we're to the All-Star break, what's the verdict on Salei from LGW?

Quick numbers:

0g 7a 7p +3

Someone post up raffis stats

Quick numbers:

0g 7a 7p +3

Personally, I think we're getting what we pay for with the guy: A gritty, experienced, reasonably responsible bottom pairing d-man who can eat a fair chunk of minutes and play well on the PK. His defense isn't lights out, but it's solid enough. His offense isn't much, but I can't say I was expecting much other than about the pace he's on right now. And his PIM totals are actually lower than I expected.

A few fights would bring those numbers up. Just a few. Every now and then.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

We pay the guy peanuts and he has half decent stats and is plus 3...nothing wrong here. Lilja?? Really?? Why?? People harp on Raffi for giving the puck away...do people not remember Lilja?? So he could sort of hit, and was a little gritty....I'll never get it...

I have no problem with Salei...he plays great for what we pay him.

However, if we resign him for next year I think he will be the odd man out and will sit a lot more than Kindl. We need to get Kindl in the top six for the most part next season.

Edited by robb himself

Seeing his stats kinda clears it up for me...I was in somewhere in between "love-hate relationship" and "I'd rather have Kindl". With Salei, it seems that it's mostly the bonehead moves that stick out in my mind. I've been thinking for several weeks now that he's a useless ***, but I'm coming around, I think. I'm usually screaming at him, through my TV of course, but he doesn't listen to me. As I said, seeing his stats (which I've never looked at) tipped the scales a smidgen, and I'll say I like him. For the money he's getting, I think he's doing a good enough job. I would like to see him a little tougher, ease up the weak giveaways and a couple more assists would be cool. If these things came along, I might even have a little man crush on him.

I like him. He's a solid enough stay at home defenseman that ads grit while playing with the youngsters. Definitely getting what we paid for and is a step up from post-concussion Lilja.

I have to admit, Salei has been playing better as of late. But it seems like for every one brilliant or timely play he makes, there's three boneheaded coverage mistakes, ill-timed pinches or turnovers right around the corner.

To be honest, though, we could probably say that about most of our defense these days. <_<

I think he is underpaid. Defenseman with Salei's stats are getting a bit more. Aroung 1.3-1.5 would be right. Well, I'm not complaining and pretty happy we signed him that cheap.

I would rather have a meaner guy like others have also said. Salei just isnt what he used to be anymore. He used to be a vicious hitter and pretty mean infront of the net as well. Can't complain about how he is playing because his salary is about right, but we could improve for sure.

Also, this Lilja stuff is ridiculous, he isnt good anymore after getting his ass knocked out

I pretty much agree with the consensus. I like him. I think he is a great value for the money, and is doing the job expected of him. I also agree with the consensus about Lilja too.

I like the "he is no Lilja" comments.

Yeah, hes not. He is a better player, a better value for the money, and doesn't have concussion problems.

I think people seem to be living in/thinking of the past and imagining pre-concussion Lilja or something. That Lilja is gone, and will never return.

Edited by sleepwalker