• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyerberger

Thoughts on Salei

Rate this topic

The following of Lilja on here was always very interesting and a bit weird to me. His first season or two, he was basically no better than monkey dung to a lot of people in here, and then as he slowly got better during his tenure here, he developed this cult type following. I was never one to rag on him even when he initally struggled (though I'm pretty much not like that with anybody in terms of extreme disliking/liking), but I was never going to jump fully onto the cult type dealie.

I would've preferred Lilja to stay, not because of the cult following status, but because he seemed to establish himself here over a few seasons, got better over time, and even after coming back from his concussion I thought he was still solid for the most part (though not as good as pre-concussion). At the same time though, while I wish he would've stayed I wasn't going to throw the overly sorrow party for him like others seemed to in here because it was all his and/or his agent's doing (not saying that's a bad thing, sometimes it is just time to move onto a different place in your career), Holland and Red Wings management eventually had to move on to cover their ends when signing Lilja was probably turning more difficult over time, etc. Hence which is why I supported signing a guy like Salei at the time.

Again, would I have liked Lilja to stay? Of course. Has Salei been lights out awesome? Not really. Has he gotten the job done overall given his role? Pretty much I think to where it's not worth it to overly yap and complain about or draw valid comparisons to Lilja. I'm not going to go that route just because Lilja became a fan favorite in here.

Salei has been fine for the money. For everyone saying he hasnt been as phsyical, or played with the same snarl. Please remember a certain 39 year old 4th liner who apart from a few fights in the regular season was largely ineffective, until the playoffs when he started laying the body on like it was going out of style. I think the best of Ruslan Salei is yet to come.

Salei has been fine for the money. For everyone saying he hasnt been as phsyical, or played with the same snarl. Please remember a certain 39 year old 4th liner who apart from a few fights in the regular season was largely ineffective, until the playoffs when he started laying the body on like it was going out of style. I think the best of Ruslan Salei is yet to come.

I hope this is true, but Drake had a more physical history thhen Rusty

He's had some atrocious mistakes, but overall he has looked decent, especially for what he is getting paid. Not sure how much he' got left in the tank, though. He's a decent penalty killer. I'd like to see us get someone younger in the summer, though. Salei has been a decent acquisition.

Yea. If he wants to stay around as a cheap backup next year I'm all for it, but if he feels he's got it left in the tank to still be a full time bottom pair D next year I'd like to see him find a job somewhere. Fingers crossed, the Wings have enough success this year to help his chances.

Yea. If he wants to stay around as a cheap backup next year I'm all for it, but if he feels he's got it left in the tank to still be a full time bottom pair D next year I'd like to see him find a job somewhere. Fingers crossed, the Wings have enough success this year to help his chances.

I'm surprised he's been able to stay relatively healthy. He's been banged up in years past. Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a backup, or "7th defenseman" next year like you said, but I think we need to find someone younger who can play that stay-at-home style for around the same salary as Salei is making right now. Plenty of guys come to mind.

I'm surprised he's been able to stay relatively healthy. He's been banged up in years past. Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a backup, or "7th defenseman" next year like you said, but I think we need to find someone younger who can play that stay-at-home style for around the same salary as Salei is making right now. Plenty of guys come to mind.

Not too bad of an idea. I'm also thinking it's getting close to the time where we need to pick between Kindl and Ericsson. We can't have another year where Kindl rides the bench. He's ready to play now and next year he can't ride the pine. So due to that fact i think Salei will be gone next season.

I've been advocating for a while to get a 6th/7th stay at home bruiser defensesman.

Not too bad of an idea. I'm also thinking it's getting close to the time where we need to pick between Kindl and Ericsson. We can't have another year where Kindl rides the bench. He's ready to play now and next year he can't ride the pine. So due to that fact i think Salei will be gone next season.

I've been advocating for a while to get a 6th/7th stay at home bruiser defensesman.

To be honest, I think Ericsson stays and Kindl is shipped out of town or is sent back to the minors. The ideal replacement for Salei would be Matt Carkner from Ottawa or Shane O'Brien from Nashville. Of course, there are plenty other guys I wouldn't mind seeing take Salei's spot, but i'll save the huge list for later on :P

I would rather have a meaner guy like others have also said. Salei just isnt what he used to be anymore. He used to be a vicious hitter and pretty mean infront of the net as well. Can't complain about how he is playing because his salary is about right, but we could improve for sure.

Also, this Lilja stuff is ridiculous, he isnt good anymore after getting his ass knocked out

Pretty much this. Salei is a good value for his contract, a solid bottom pairing guy. I just wish he played with more edge.

Pretty much this. Salei is a good value for his contract, a solid bottom pairing guy. I just wish he played with more edge.

For what he is getting paid, he's a good 3rd pairing defenseman, but I wonder how much he' got left in the tank. I think a guy like Matt Carkner would be a good replacement over the summer.

For what he is getting paid, he's a good 3rd pairing defenseman, but I wonder how much he' got left in the tank. I think a guy like Matt Carkner would be a good replacement over the summer.

Agreed about Salei. At 36 years old and with that back injury last year, I don't really expect him to get better or play more physical than he is right now.

I haven't actually seen Carkner play very much so I don't know much about him, other than he's got great size and won't hesitate to drop the gloves.

EDIT: and Capgeek has Carkner signed through 2012.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I'm hoping he's found enough balance between edge and injury in his present playstyle. At his present age, he probably doesn't want to get as trashed as he was the last couple years with his previous more rambunctious playstyle.

Agreed about Salei. At 36 years old and with that back injury last year, I don't really expect him to get better or play more physical than he is right now.

I haven't actually seen Carkner play very much so I don't know much about him, other than he's got great size and won't hesitate to drop the gloves.

EDIT: and Capgeek has Carkner signed through 2012.

Good shot blocker, and as you know he isn't afraid of anyone. And that's weird, could have swore he was only on a one year deal in Ottawa..I like Shane O'Brien as well.

i hate to rock the boat here with the Kindl and Big Rig decision making but I think you'll have to throu in Smith as well. The Wings aint gunna waste his talent another whole year in the A, so if Kenny wants all 3 we may see the departure of a more snr player? If Lids retires at the end of this season then it will be a very interesting off season. I hope the Capy gives Kenny plenty of time thou.

With the cap to rise at least 3mil next season, we can always sign a very good player or two next summer since Holmstrom's contract will be coming off the books after next season. If there are any good physical fighting DMen that put up 30 points and fights, next season would be a prime opportunity to get one

Well, now that we're to the All-Star break, what's the verdict on Salei from LGW?

Quick numbers:

0g 7a 7p +3

70 hits (2nd on Wings defense)

72 blocks (3rd on Wings defense)

13 takeways (3rd on Wings defense)

23 giveaways (4th [highest] on Wings defense)

36 PIM (2nd [highest] on Wings defense)

5th in TOI/G for Wings defensemen

4th in PKTOI/G for Wings defensemen

Salary: $750k (1.1m cap hit; hit $350k bonuses)

Where can I find these stats? Haven't seen TA and GA stats on nhl.com or any other site

He's been a very good signing with money not factored and he's been a GREAT signing when you factor in his caphit...

A steadying force on the back end that can play more situations and minutes when needed, but fills the #6 role perfect... I have been very happy with him and would welcome him back with open arms for next season...

I think after this season for a similar price guys who could replace Rusty who are free agents include Erskine, Staios, Hal Gill, Shane O'brien or Sean O' Donnell. All are just as steady defensively but bring other things that Salei doesn't.

Gill plays great in the playoffs and is a very good shut down defender.

Staios has always been steady back there and has a mean streak.

Erskine is probably who I would like the most back there. He is mean and a solid defenseman.

O'Brien is younger then the rest but he is probably the meanest of the group, he has a little offensive potential as well, I would really like him in Detroit.

O'Donnell has always been pretty good defensively and has experience to help the young guys back there.

Having Ericsson, Kindl and Smith all on the active roster does make me a bit nervous.

It's nice to have a veteran presence on the back pairing, like Salei... But there seems to be a good chance he is gone next year in favor of getting Smith up and making sure Kindl is not lost to waivers.

Red Wings defense has really disappointed me the past couple of years, and it is tough to really pinpoint just what the problem has been.

Having Ericsson, Kindl and Smith all on the active roster does make me a bit nervous.

It's nice to have a veteran presence on the back pairing, like Salei... But there seems to be a good chance he is gone next year in favor of getting Smith up and making sure Kindl is not lost to waivers.

Red Wings defense has really disappointed me the past couple of years, and it is tough to really pinpoint just what the problem has been.

It's easy to point out and harder to fix, but the last couple seasons they seem to get outnumbered down low around their own net. It's been way too easy for opponents to camp out around the net and slam home rebounds or redirect shots. They need to make that area a hard place to play in.

I understand that it's harder to clear the crease in the new NHL, but I'd rather they take some penalties crosschecking players into next week instead of standing there watching them whack at the puck in the crease.

Edited by haroldsnepsts