• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Weber and the Wings

Rate this topic

I noticed right away during the all star draft that Lidstrom picked Weber early and was some what excited to do so.

Then I see in post game comments how much he was looking forward to playing next to Weber.

Maybe Nick all along wanted to add this guy and drafted him to make a pitch :D

This combined with the fact that they played so well together, teaming up for 5 assists and a staggering +13, makes me think that this soon to be RFA would be a fantastic addition to our team.

He makes 4.5 this season which could be taken on if we went hard for a trade.

I hate when people usually make these types of threads, but Lids looked really into playing with him and even without a trade there could be the possibility of signing this guy in the next two years. His heavy right handed shot would be a big boost, as well as his physical play.

Would you give up the amount of draft picks to get this guy either by trade or Restricted free agent signing?

Edited by Majsheppard

What would be "what ever it takes"?

Well I dont mean any of our top roster players. Obviously guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc are untouchable. But when it comes to draft picks and prospects, which the exception of maybe a couple of them, to land a guy like Shea Weber to take over as number one when Lids retires is pretty much an opportunity that shouldn't be passed up. I highly doubt the Preds would part with him anyway unless it was an offer they could not refuse, but to see him in the Winged wheel would just be amazing.

We won't be trading for him, but I could see us making an offer sheet for him this summer.

I highly doubt that Nashville would be trading with us...

If they were, I would be willing to give them a ton of picks and players to make it happen.

We would have to clear some room too... so Hudler would have to go! :ph34r:

Our d looks pretty set for the future so they would have to move an Ericson as well...

I have a feeling that when Weber is a UFA, he'll be more than interested in Detroit.

It's interesting, but my co-worker and I were talking about this today. I mentioned that when Lids retires there's gonna be a huge hole, and he said Detroit will probably go after Weber. And he also said (and he's a Leafs fan) that when Raffi retires, he sees Detroit trying for Phaneuf. I doubt it'll happen, but that'd be a hell of a top pairing.

Guest Crymson

We won't be trading for him, but I could see us making an offer sheet for him this summer.

They lost Hamhuis this season, and Weber is the core player of their team. I doubt they'll let him go.

I highly doubt that Nashville would be trading with us...

If they were, I would be willing to give them a ton of picks and players to make it happen.

We would have to clear some room too... so Hudler would have to go! :ph34r:

Our d looks pretty set for the future so they would have to move an Ericson as well...

Why would they move Ericsson? Salei is on a one-year contract.

They lost Hamhuis this season, and Weber is the core player of their team. I doubt they'll let him go.

Why would they move Ericsson? Salei is on a one-year contract.

I doubt they would either, but if he didn't want to be there anymore then they wouldn't have much choice.

There is no reason to move Ericsson unless you were to replace him with Weber ;)

Seriously though, you forget Kindl.

You guys see him during the relay? I think he went 50/50 as the left point just trying to get it in, but Danny Brierre bailed him out big time even though he was short side.

Anyways, Lidstrom doesn't need to be replaced by a OD, he needs to be replaced with a good solid d-man, and Shea Weber is just a guy that happens to shoot the puck at the net 200 times a year.

I doubt they would either, but if he didn't want to be there anymore then they wouldn't have much choice.

There is no reason to move Ericsson unless you were to replace him with Weber ;)

Seriously though, you forget Kindl.

Why replace him with Weber? Have Weber teach him to use that slapper of his more often and have 2 guys dropping 100+ mph bombs from the point.

I have a feeling that when Weber is a UFA, he'll be more than interested in Detroit.

It's interesting, but my co-worker and I were talking about this today. I mentioned that when Lids retires there's gonna be a huge hole, and he said Detroit will probably go after Weber. And he also said (and he's a Leafs fan) that when Raffi retires, he sees Detroit trying for Phaneuf. I doubt it'll happen, but that'd be a hell of a top pairing.

The highest terms I would take Phaneuf at would be second pairing and 3 million or less.

Just thinking about Weber gets me excited, but I'm hardly getting my hopes up. He might not be able to fill the hole Lids would leave, but he could come close enough, and give us a further element of grit that everyone would love.

Edited by Zetts

"He's obviously very special," said Weber, who had four assists and a strong case for the game's MVP, of Lidstrom. "He's one of the best defenseman, if not one of the best ever to play the game. It's definitely something I'll never forget. I watched him growing up and just being able to play in game with him is pretty cool."
The combination of Weber and Lidstrom was the latter's idea. Coach Peter Laviolette left it up to the 40-year-old Lidstrom to choose his partner before the game, and he went with the 25-year-old Weber.

"I talked to Peter before the game and he asked me if I had any requests and I said it'd be fun to play with Weber," Lidstrom said. "I just think he's a great young player. I think he's just going to get better and better. He's a great player as it is now.

"He's a division rival and you play against him so many times and I really like the way he plays, so I wanted to play with him and have a chance to play with a big guy like that."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=551099&navid=DL|NHL|home

I was thinking about this earlier. Suter just turned 26, and in 39 games he has 22 points and is +17. Isn't he unrestricted after this year?

UFA after next year.

Weber is an RFA after this year, FWIW. I don't see Nashville letting him walk, and if he did, it would cost us too much to sign him.

Suter is a reasonable goal, though, as Nashville will have to re-sign Kostitsyn and a few other guys (Kostitsyn is due a pay raise for this next year).

Unless Nashville's ownership wants to go up to the cap, they likely won't be re-signing Suter unless he doesn't warrant a pay raise or unless he wants to stay in Nashville.

UFA after next year.

Weber is an RFA after this year, FWIW. I don't see Nashville letting him walk, and if he did, it would cost us too much to sign him.

Suter is a reasonable goal, though, as Nashville will have to re-sign Kostitsyn and a few other guys (Kostitsyn is due a pay raise for this next year).

Unless Nashville's ownership wants to go up to the cap, they likely won't be re-signing Suter unless he doesn't warrant a pay raise or unless he wants to stay in Nashville.

Well with Suter locked up for next year, it doesn't help us out this summer, in the event Lidstrom retires (which I think he will, unfortunately). I'm pretty sure next year is Rafalski's last year of his contract, so maybe we can put Suter in Rafalski's spot after next year. As fpr this summer, what's Tim Gleasons contract status in Carolina? Is he a free agent this summer?