• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Weber and the Wings

Rate this topic

I don't see Nashville ever trading him to a division rival, especially the Wings. If he became a UFA maybe then Detroit would have a shot at him but we will never see him play with Lidstrom before Lids retires.

this is both a reply to you and the OP. Maybe Lidstrom is thinking about possibly signing in Nashville next season, then we'll see him play with Weber! That would be the easiest way to get them together! :ninja:

(I joke, I joke!)

I really don't think Lidstrom will retire. He's having a great year, says he's having a lot of fun, and he obviously isn't slowing down much (if at all) based on his consideration for the Norris.

I honestly think Rafalski will retire before Lidstrom.

To me he seems to be finishing on a strong note. Maybe the post-season will choose for him.

Another one of my pipe dreams is Brent Burns, absolutely love how he plays the position, he'll be a UFA after next year I believe as well(might be wrong).

You are correct. Let's hope Lids signs for one more year after this year and Weber only signs for 1 year with Nash as a RFA. Then if Lids retires we'll be able to go after Weber or Burns mmm.

The summer of 2012 could be very interesting for the Wings defense.

Rafi, Stu, and Kronner all UFA. Wideman, Burns, Suter, Boychuk, Carle, Liles, and maybe a few I overlooked UFA that year, plus any UFAs/RFAs this summer that might sign one year deals. Plus a new CBA. Lebda. :ph34r:

Could see a real facelift on D for '12-'13.

Per the new CBA, if you sign a RFA player to a deal worth 6.4ish million+ it's actually four 1st round picks, a pint of virgin blood, and a vial of children's tears

So next time the wings play the pens they just need Howie to fight Crosby and the Wings will be set.

Why replace him with Weber? Have Weber teach him to use that slapper of his more often and have 2 guys dropping 100+ mph bombs from the point.

Not so much to replace, just that salary would have to be cleared. He makes a decent amount for what his value is, plus he could be resigned later.

In the extremely hypothetical event that Lidstrom retires, Weber joins the team, and Salei is not re-signed, the team will have six defensemen.

I look at it as more of to join Lidstrom via trade. Salei is not resigned and even if we had to get rid of Kindl or Ericsson we would have Smith available. Nifty way to get three right handed shots.

I think it's 3 1sts for the offer it'd take to get him.

I would even consider three firsts a couple of seconds and maybe a prospect or two.

I still think Cory Emmerton should be moved now because of lack of room, and Hudler could be valuable enough that the two of them combined with enough draft picks would make Nashville trade in the division.

If I ran the team and I thought for a second that I couldn't sign Weber, and a team in my division was offering up basically 2 firsts a 60 point player and a first round prospect I would have to consider it. If they threw in Ericsson and one second the deal would be done.

Per the new CBA, if you sign a RFA player to a deal worth 6.4ish million+ it's actually four 1st round picks, a pint of virgin blood, and a vial of children's tears

Damn. I'd read you needed a half pint of mare's sweat too. Well, then it ain't all bad. :lookaround:

Guest Heaten

I read this thread because it's a dream that will never come true...but the fantasy keeps me compelled. No way Nashville lets Weber get away. He's their "Lidstrom" = untouchable.

I too like Brent Burns. He's always a beast when we play Minni.

Edited by Heaten

Kinda echoing what everyone else said...But down here, Weber is the face of the franchise right now. Nashville won't trade him, and they will more than likely match any offer that comes there way across the RFA line.

But he would be amazing as a Wing

PLUS, they have over $24M avail in cap space in the off season, with nobody else to sign that is more important to them then Weber. Look for a lifetime contract with Rafalski/Lidstrom type $$$. Then Suter is an UFA the next off season, with tons of cash to spend. Those two are in Nashville to stay! (unless they want out for some reason, that could happen.)

PLUS, they have over $24M avail in cap space in the off season, with nobody else to sign that is more important to them then Weber. Look for a lifetime contract with Rafalski/Lidstrom type $$. Then Suter is an UFA the next off season, with tons of cash to spend. Those two are in Nashville to stay! (unless they want out for some reason, that could happen.)

Believe it or not, Suter isn't exactly a guarantee to stay with the Preds. Friedman has his own spending limits, and alot of people down here have publicly questioned whether they will be able to keep them both

Why is that? Just curious since you didn't explain it at all.

Rafalski's point totals since being in Detroit: 55,59,42, 54(projected).

He's definitely not slowing down, he's nearly a PPG player this season and having another great +/- season.

Depends on a lot of stuff, but specifically there are a lot of guys coming through the system that will need to be in the NHL soon (Kindl full-time, Smith, etc).

If Rafalski's agent asks for too much from the Wings, I'd imagine that he's done, especially with his declining defensive play.

I'd say more then $3M a season is too much.

But my name isn't Ken Holland, Nick Lidstrom, or Brian Rafalski, so what do I know? Nick could win the Norris this year and decide to go out on a high note, but I only see our team getting better in the next few years, and Nick obviously isn't declining much at all.

Why is that? Just curious since you didn't explain it at all.

Rafalski's point totals since being in Detroit: 55,59,42, 54(projected).

He's definitely not slowing down, he's nearly a PPG player this season and having another great +/- season.

Rafalski has not slowed down offensively, but his defense has declined considerably since he first joined the Wings. He also said when he first signed his contract that he wanted to retire in Detroit, and he was expected to retire by the end of the deal. Which means no later than 2012. Whether Lidstrom keeps playing is another story entirely, but he's certainly in better shape for it than Rafalski.

I could see Rafalski taking a two year 3-4 million dollar deal when this one is up, probably with some incentives. As for Weber, I'd love to have him but I think a more realistic patch for Lidstrom would be Kaberle.

Edited by Booster313

Depends on a lot of stuff, but specifically there are a lot of guys coming through the system that will need to be in the NHL soon (Kindl full-time, Smith, etc).

If Rafalski's agent asks for too much from the Wings, I'd imagine that he's done, especially with his declining defensive play.

I'd say more then $3M a season is too much.

But my name isn't Ken Holland, Nick Lidstrom, or Brian Rafalski, so what do I know? Nick could win the Norris this year and decide to go out on a high note, but I only see our team getting better in the next few years, and Nick obviously isn't declining much at all.

The only guys in the system are Smith. Other than that, we have Almqvist, who is still 2-4 years away from Grand Rapids. If/When Salei leaves next year Kindl will have a full time spot. We need Rafalski. and there's no way a 50+ point defensemen will get less than 3 mil.