• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Red Wings Reportedly Interested in a Biter?

Rate this topic

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25/index.html

Scroll to the bootm - last player listed in top 25

I'm surprised the Wings would actually be interested in pursuing him (unless they're not, and this is all conjecture anyway) given his track record, not that he is a bad player, or wouldn't actually help a legit team, I just find it to be an odd fit here...

Discuss.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25/index.html

Scroll to the bootm - last player listed in top 25

I'm surprised the Wings would actually be interested in pursuing him (unless they're not, and this is all conjecture anyway) given his track record, not that he is a bad player, or wouldn't actually help a legit team, I just find it to be an odd fit here...

Discuss.

With the depth we have when everyone is healthy and seeing how good our depth is playing (sometimes outshining our top two lines) there would be no room for him IMO. Wings would have to let Miller go then rotate him in as well, I just don't see it happening.

could be this years Drake, he would give the Wings the one element they are missing thou. a cheap shot artist that keeps the oposition looking over there shoulders!! not sure where they got the Steve Staios rumour from thou? Id take AK but his price tag is to high unless

we off load and i dont see us doing that for a player who could go elsewhere at the end of the year.

why?

2.7 mil for a guy who isn't good enough to be our #6 d-man (when everyone is healthy)

He'll be an UFA at seasons end. His cap hit is only 595K at the trade deadline. LTIR'n Modano and Ozzie would cover his cap hit.

Negative. Their cap hits are on a daily basis.

right but...

186 days in a regular season.

staios' yearly salary is $2.7 million, making his daily 'hit' $14,516.13.

41 days left in the season gives us a total of ~$595K, which is what you said.

so then, to get staios we would have to clear ~$595K off our salary for those 41 days which would end up being equivalent to a $2.7 million/year salary.

this $2.7 mil number is the player's cap number, which stays the same throughout the season.

i guess we were trying to say the same thing but in different ways. originally it sounded to me like you were saying that all we had to do is get rid of a player who makes $595K per year and we could fit staios in. however, as i was typing this i realised that you were not saying that.

edit: aren't modano, ozzie, homer, and stuart on LTIR already?

also, as far as i understand it, a player going on LTIR can be replaced and a team can go over the cap limit (if they are right up against it at the time of injury) but must become cap compliant as soon as the injured player returns. for example, if we put modano on LTIR and at that time we had $0 in cap space, we could then go over the cap limit by exactly the amount that modano is making, but as soon as modano is taken off LTIR we would have to become cap compliant.

therefore, putting players on LTIR doesn't really solve our problem of freeing up the money for a deadline acquisition.

Edited by atodaso