• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Konnan511

Jo. Staal punch, Prust gets shot

Rate this topic

To me it's the other way around. There's no question it was a suckerpunch. He punched Prust in the face when he wasn't even looking. What's to decide?

As for collapsing like he's been shot, it could've been a dive, it could've been that he got his bell rung. Either way Prust should be a bit embarrassed.

I thought he was looking right at Staal, I'm probably wrong though, I'll watch the video again.

But....there is no way Prust got his bell rung...impossible. It's almost as if the punch didn't even touch Prust. And Prust was laughing on the way to the bench?

Edit: Okay, I watched it again and I still think Prust was looking right at Staal when he got punched, so I don't see it as much of a sucker punch. Also, what I missed the first time I saw the video was a pretty good elbow thrown at Staal's head. That's probably what caused Staal to throw the punch. No excuse for a sucker punch though, but I still don't fully buy that it was a sucker punch.

Edited by toby91_ca

What defines sucker punch?? At what point was it looking like Prust had any intention of throwing punches at Staal??? To me, this constitutes a sucker punch when the other play is simply finishing a check and the other player skates to defend himself and all of a sudden a fist is thrown, and for what?

Not much room for debate here, although the twirl by Prust was a bit ridiculous.

What defines sucker punch?? At what point was it looking like Prust had any intention of throwing punches at Staal??? To me, this constitutes a sucker punch when the other play is simply finishing a check and the other player skates to defend himself and all of a sudden a fist is thrown, and for what?

Not much room for debate here, although the twirl by Prust was a bit ridiculous.

To be fair, Prust wasn't "just finishing a check", he took his own cheap shot by hitting a guy who was engaged with 3 other guys.

To be fair, Prust wasn't "just finishing a check", he took his own cheap shot by hitting a guy who was engaged with 3 other guys.

Very well. Still find it quite laughable that anyone on here (not you) find this not to be a sucker punch. I need some more definitions I guess.

Very well. Still find it quite laughable that anyone on here (not you) find this not to be a sucker punch. I need some more definitions I guess.

I guess I'm able to be impartial about things...except when it comes to Filppula :)

Guest scottj

As far as cheapshots go, that wasn't brutal, but it's still a suckerpunch. It looks like a dive, but honestly I'd cut Prust some slack. It wasn't that hard but he took an unexpected punch right on the button. It's possible his collapse was real.

Of course, it would also kind of mean he has a glass jaw. :P

Normally when your collapse after a hit is real, your head flies WITH the punch, not against it lol

NYPost:

Being ejected from the end of the Penguins’ shootout win will be the extent of the punishment for center Jordan Staal after he punched Rangers’ Brandon Prust.

"We have reviewed the play and have communicated to (Penguins GM) Ray Shero that Jordan Staal is available to play tonight (vs. the Islanders)," NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell said, according to NHL.com.

The play came at the 15:27 mark of the second period, shortly after Chris Kunitz had scored Pittsburgh's third straight goal to give the Penguins a 3-2 lead. A scrum had developed in front of the teams' benches, and Prust came in and checked Tyler Kennedy. Staal then came over to defend his teammate, checking Prust before unloading the left hand that sent Prust crashing to the ice.

Staal's brother Marc plays for the Rangers.

A dumbass reaction to a clean hit, give him the 4 games, fake or no-fake this doesn't belong in the game.

Im sick of players getting pissy over a clean hit. I think a intent to injure needs to be claimed every time this happens.

Just because I hate all things Penguins, because of the hype, i hope Prust gets his revenge.

Maybe just sucker punch Crosby and start the concussion train.

I saw this live, and it was indeed a stupid move. No matter how Prust sold it, Staal deserves to be penalized big time for this. And Mickey Redmond agrees with me. :P The over-reaction to clean hits is idiotic and should be taken out of the game.

Edited by Vladifan

I saw this live, and it was indeed a stupid move. No matter how Prust sold it, Staal deserves to be penalized big time for this. And Mickey Redmond agrees with me. :P The over-reaction to clean hits is idiotic and should be taken out of the game.

He got away with it, thanks Colie, way to enforce the rules.

LOL If people think he should be suspended for that then I don't know what to tell you. When i was playing AAA that was simply a 2 minute minor for roughing. Prust went down like a sack of potatoes. The only reason he got thrown out in the first place.

Another thing, Staal was punching with his wrong hand, he barely got any force behind that. It's laughable.

No one's saying that, but nice fallacy and way to completely ignore my statement thumbup.gif

What are you saying? That a legal check to the side while a player has the puck at his feet is dirty?

I'll see your Prust and I'll raise you:

reviewingtheniklaskronwallpenalty.jpg

An elbow to the mouth is not legal, which is what Prust did to Staal.

Well we weren't talking about that for starters.

Also Prust stuck his arms up at a larger Staal who was engaging him. It's not like Staal was at risk to lose any teeth for it.