• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/2 GDT: Franzen 5 + Red Wings 2 (7) at Senators (5)

Rate this topic

I don't buy the scheme thing. It's players performing badly. There's no scheme that dictates Rafalski and Kronwall put the puck on the stick of an opposing forward every other time they attempt a first pass out of the defensive zone. The scheme doesn't tell the penalty killers to make limp-wristed clearing attempts that have no chance of getting out of the zone. No scheme is responsible for all the passes that arrive in skates and the Hail Mary attempts that almost never connect and instead almost always result in a giveaway and an odd-man rush the other way.

Coaching shares in the responsibility of players not performing to their abilities right now. But I don't think the problems stem from a systemic problem; they're happening because of guys making bad plays.

I agree, though I've seen several people calling out the system and McCrimmon in particular and was curios as to why they thought that.

I'm a little surprised at how often Babcock says things will get worked on only to have nothing change. He seems like the kind of coach who would force the issue, though his hands may be somewhat tied with the recent injuries.

Coaching shares in the responsibility of players not performing to their abilities right now. But I don't think the problems stem from a systemic problem; they're happening because of guys making bad plays.

You got it. As Murphy just showed in the intermission, players are over committing and not recognizing the situation.

But I don't remember us constantly spotting the opposition 3 or 4 goals repeatedly. And as a result, Jimmy's likely to finish the season with a 3.00+ GAA and a sub-.900 SV%.

Welcome to the new NHL. You pretty much can't touch a opposition player in your defensive zone.

I agree, though I've seen several people calling out the system and McCrimmon in particular and was curios as to why they thought that.

I'm a little surprised at how often Babcock says things will get worked on only to have nothing change. He seems like the kind of coach who would force the issue, though his hands may be somewhat tied with the recent injuries.

I wonder if Babs is waiting out what he knows is an inevitable lull in the course of an 82 game season. Good coaches know when it's time to start busting their players and when to let things slide. Babs was a slave driver in his first season but by all accounts he learned that the coach of a veteran team like this has to let up sometimes. I'm sure he took plenty of notes from Bowman. The Wings are in a pretty good place in the standings so it's not mission critical yet.

But if this keeps up, I wouldn't be surprised to see something. Maybe Babs will criticize a player or two through the media. I kind of wonder if the Nabokov thing was as much a strategic move to send a message to Howie as anything. It sure seemed unlikely he'd survive the waiver process so one wonders if there was a secondary agenda.

You got it. As Murphy just showed in the intermission, players are over committing and not recognizing the situation.

I take this statement to mean that you think Murph would make a great Defensive coach. And that he would offer to be paid in dollar hot dogs instead of money.

And thus I approve.

But in all seriousness. Yes a big part of it is the players are over-commiting and not being smart with the puck. But I feel like its been a trend since McCrimmon has taken over where there are more careless errors than I ever remember before then.

Welcome to the new NHL. You pretty much can't touch a opposition player in your defensive zone.

That is a very true point. Bettman's precious "New NHL" rules are built to see 4-3 games instead of 2-1 and 3-2 games. He would even prefer 5-4 than 4-3.

With the inability to cut guys off from getting into the corner there is much more of a need to commit to playing the corner instead of the man, which leaves more space in front of the net.

But in all seriousness. Yes a big part of it is the players are over-commiting and not being smart with the puck. But I feel like its been a trend since McCrimmon has taken over where there are more careless errors than I ever remember before then.

As I said earlier, outside of 2008 Cup year, it has basically been like this. Players need to commit to the defensive side of the game more.

Admittedly, there's only so much he can do with this sieve defense, but the flopping and humongous rebounds into the slot aren't helping him.

The rebounds were a huge problem last year, and arguably why I was never super confident in him last season.

At the beginning of this season the rebounds were non-existent and I was very confident.

Since his struggles began there has been a very obvious trend. Howard playing well = no rebounds (like the 2nd period here) Howie playing bad = LOTS OF HUGE REBOUNDS (1st period)