• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/2 GDT: Franzen 5 + Red Wings 2 (7) at Senators (5)

Rate this topic

Great game Franz! Hopefully that moron who wrote that article saying we need to get a goon, and that Franzen is soft, is eating some crow.

Why was Neil on the ice with less than a minute? I think Coaches should be fined for sending out their no talent idiots in close games. It's a safety issue for opposing players, also it makes teams that are about to lose look like sore losers. There's no need for goons to be on the ice at that moment in a game.

First off, I wish we had a "no talent goon" (as you call him) like Neil. Guy is more than just a fighter.

Secondly, teams have been putting guys like him on the ice in those situations for ages. We're the only team that doesn't do that, because we don't have anyone like him on the team.

Nothing unusual with him being on the ice there. I see no problem with it. He didn't exactly grab one of our euros and start pounding away.

Great game Franz! Hopefully that moron who wrote that article saying we need to get a goon, and that Franzen is soft, is eating some crow.

Why was Neil on the ice with less than a minute? I think Coaches should be fined for sending out their no talent idiots in close games. It's a safety issue for opposing players, also it makes teams that are about to lose look like sore losers. There's no need for goons to be on the ice at that moment in a game.

Gimme a break. That kinda stuff has always been a part of the game.

First off, I wish we had a "no talent goon" (as you call him) like Neil. Guy is more than just a fighter.

Secondly, teams have been putting guys like him on the ice in those situations for ages. We're the only team that doesn't do that, because we don't have anyone like him on the team.

Nothing unusual with him being on the ice there. I see no problem with it. He didn't exactly grab one of our euros and start pounding away.

Just a Canadian

108777078_slide.jpg

Screw those Ovechtrick ads...we've got the real deal! Okay, so it wasn't 9, but how much cooler is an actual 5 goals than 9 fictional ones? Muletrick, Muletrick, Muletrick!

And how nice of him to get a W for Best Buddy Bert on his birthday! Aww. He even tried to pass to Bert for an empty netter there like a gentleman. I like that Z-Bert-Mule line for the moment...don't know what's going to happen with Datsyuk back, but it worked for me tonight.

Guest Crymson

Apparently Rafalski got his 500th career point...

And yet the first thing I thought of was, "Does he have more career points or giveaways?"

Yeah, because he wasn't an absolutely vital component to our most recently Stanley Cup win or anything... or to the near-miss in 2009...

And how nice of him to get a W for Best Buddy Bert on his birthday! Aww. He even tried to pass to Bert for an empty netter there like a gentleman. I like that Z-Bert-Mule line for the moment...don't know what's going to happen with Datsyuk back, but it worked for me tonight.

It was the same line on which Franz scored five goals against the Sharks last season.

Happy for the W and the 5 goals for Franzenstein, but for the love of all that is holy, CAN WE PLEASE SORT OUT OUR DEFENCE AND GOALTENDING???????

Watching some of those goals against was embaressing, guys getting beaten all over the ice so easily.......including Lidstrom :(

Yup. I just hope Babs remembers that and keeps those three together!

I'm sure he does. Yet he hadn't used that line until last night and I'm not sure why. Possibly because San Jose were better prepared for them in the next game and Babs didn't like what he saw.

It was the same line on which Franz scored five goals against the Sharks last season.

Pretty sure that was 4 goals :) That was also the last game before this one that we saw the truly dominant Franzen. Wish he'd play like this a little more often, he's so unstoppable when he does. Hopefully this is a sign that he's ramping it up for the last part of the season in preparation for the playoffs.

Now if only our defense and goaltending can sort themselves out we look mighty fine.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Good win. I loved seeing Mule score 5. Man, Howard sure looks shaky in net. Hopefully he bounces back. It must be driving Babs nuts seeing all these goals allowed. The Wings are something like 20th in goals against average. They have time to sort out their defensive game before the playoffs. With Dats back we should have the puck more plus he'll resume pickpocketing opponents. Getting Stuart back will help too so Kronwall can go back to playing the side he prefers. Nice to see Cleary back out there. Helm had one of his best games of the year.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

If the call is that Howard had the puck under him and was pushed into the net, it's a terrible call because that didn't happen. If the call is that Pollock intended to blow the whistle before the puck crossed the line, it's a terrible call because the puck wasn't frozen (Howard never had control of it before it crossed the line). And if he lost sight of the puck ... well, isn't that why we have a multitude of cameras pointed at the cage?

All that said: It is refreshing to see the Red Wings get the benefit of one of these situations for once, as they're usually the ones getting screwed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Most-terrible-call-of-the-night-in-Red-Wi?urn=nhl-316185

Everybody sucked at defense last night.

1st Period 8:40 - Ottawa Goal: Peter Regin (tip in) from Alexei Kovalev and Chris Campoli

The Senators get the puck into the zone about 30 seconds before they score and the entire play that leads to the goal stems from an early failure. Regin brings in and fires a cross-ice pass high in the zone that misses Michalek and bounces off the boards. As Rafalski and Helm converge, Michalek turns around and drags the puck past both of them on a pretty spin move that should have ended when either of the two dips***s standing near him planted his ass in the Scotiabank ice. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and he got a good shot off that led to a keep in and a dump low in the zone. Regin and Kovalev work together to outmuscle Rafalski behind the net and to screen Helm from coming in to help. Regin brings it out to one side as he switches spots with Campoli while handing off the puck to him. Kovalev runs another screen to keep Helm off Campoli and Rafalski is nice enough to not try to pin him to the boards. With a step on Rafalski, Campoli comes out the other side and takes advantage of Regin cutting through the middle to take Eaves' stick out of the cross-ice passing lane, where he finds Kovalev. With Michalek in the play, always moving around the center of the ice, the Senators now have two players on Jonathan Ericsson in front of the net. Ericsson doesn't recognize in time that Regin is behind him and the Senators make Detroit pay with a cross-ice pass back over to Regin for an easy tip-in behind Howard. Knee-jerk reaction was to wonder why Ericsson lost this coverage so badly, but the replay of how the entire thing set up shows that Ericsson had to respect Michalek's positioning through the slot the entire play. His only mistake was to recognize that he needs to cover the lower man of the two he was left to defend. I'm not clearing anything, but Ericsson will only keep his official minus. Rafalski isn't so lucky as he had two opportunities to at least try to muscle a guy on the boards to close the highway that was running behind howard and he failed both times. For this and for the screw up on Michalek to start the play, Rafalski gets two extra minuses. Eaves makes a sloppy handoff as Regin cuts down through the zone and Kovalev is Helm's man on this play right before he makes the shot-pass that Regin tips, so both Eaves gets extra minus while Helm's combined mistakes here are good for an extra minus and a half. Finally, Kris Draper never gets into a defensive position. He needs to be the guy coming down to take Michalek from Ericsson in this situation and he's never below the hash marks. Draper gets an extra minus as well.

1st Period 11:12 - Ottawa Goal: Chris Campoli (snap shot) from Daniel Alfredsson and Nick Foligno

Some very aggressive forechecking and neutral zone play by Ottawa forces the puck off Bertuzzi's stick at center ice and back into the corner for Lidstrom on a long shift to fight with Nick Foligno for the puck in the corner. Zetterberg comes in to help, but Foligno holds them off long enough for Daniel Alfredsson to swoop in and take it. Alfreddson carries around behind the net and finds Campoli standing out front on the other side wide open for a quick snap shot over Jimmy's shoulder. The forechecking is great and the shift was long, but Lidstrom and Zetterberg combined need to either win this board battle or not lose it so cleanly. Both Zetterberg and Lidstrom will get extra half-minuses. As Alfredsson comes behind the net, Kronwall needs to pick him up and stop the pass to Campoli, but doesn't. Kronwall gets an extra half-minus. Bertuzzi is standing at the top of the zone in front of Gonchar, but behind Fisher, earning Bert an extra half-minus as a couple steps deeper in the zone are enough to cut off the passing lane to both of them and to free Franzen. Franzen is standing in the passing lane from Alfreddson to Fisher, but is slow to react to Alfreddson coming behind the net, and never reacts to Campoli coming low. Franzen will pick up a half-minus.

2nd Period 11:18 - Ottawa Goal: Milan Michalek (wrist shot) from Peter Regin and Chris Campoli

Of course, the Wings can't let us enjoy this league for more than a full minute before giving it back. Campoli throws a two-line pass that bounces off of Regin and into the Wings zone. Lidstrom beats Regin to the puck, but can only manage to weakly poke it around him where Michalek beats Filppula to it. The Senators forward carries along the boards to the inside of Regin as he prevents Filppula from making the defensive play. This catches Lidstrom flat-footed and gives Michalek room to take it to the front of the net out of the corner. Howard stops the first shot and the rebound, but Michalek is able to get it again unimpeded and puts it behind him to tie it up again. Lidstrom gets an extra minus for losing his positioning while Filppula gets an extra minus for both failing to stop the Campoli outlet and for failing to prevent Michalek from getting the puck in the first place.

3rd Period 00:50 - Ottawa Goal: Milan Michalek (wrist shot) from Alexei Kovalev and Peter Regin

Aaaaand 29 seconds later we're back to square because your blood pressure wasn't high enough already. By this point in the game, the Wings are still somehow unaware that Michalek is a speedy skater and he's able to step around Kronwall to the outside to get a shot on Howard from a Sharp angle as Regin crashes the crease. The puck caroms off the Regin and the post before heading to the top of the zone on the far side where Gonchar bodies off Hudler to make sure Kovalev gets to it unmolested. Kovalev throws a wrister through traffic that lightly brushes Michalek on its way straight through Jimmy Howard, who realizes far too late that the shot is coming. The slow reaction by Howard makes this goal half-weak. Elsewhere, Lidstrom and Filppula are cleared of their minuses for being in position, but on the other side of the play here. Kronwall gets the extra half-minus for getting walked around. I feel Hudler could have skated harder into Gonchar to try to draw an interference penalty and that Cleary could have blocked the shot from the point to prevent this goal, so they will both keep their ratings.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2011/2/3/1971528/cssi-analysis-red-wings-7-senators-5

But a win is a win is a win.

Howard with a .853 save percentage for the night...

VEZINA! VEZINA! VEZINA!

When 4 of the 5 goals were scored due to defensive breakdowns and blown coverages, its hard to fault Howard. Speaking from experience, when my team plays well in front of me and keeps the shots to the outside, I can pitch a shutout or keep them to 1 or 2 goals scored. When my team plays poorly, it can be 6 goals allowed easy. This is why Ken Holland invests so much into his defensive core. The goaltender is the last line of defense. The defense is there to make sure it doesn't come to that.

The armchair fans in this forum and other hockey boards really have got to get out there and play the game.

Aside from that, the Wings didn't play their best game. Big deal. In the course of a season, teams are going to go through highs and lows. The Wings are solid at the top of the division and with an injured group of players that are coming back now. Be patient. Give it time. Still 32 games to go until playoffs.

Edited by Nightfall