• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/2 GDT: Franzen 5 + Red Wings 2 (7) at Senators (5)

Rate this topic

If the call is that Howard had the puck under him and was pushed into the net, it's a terrible call because that didn't happen. If the call is that Pollock intended to blow the whistle before the puck crossed the line, it's a terrible call because the puck wasn't frozen (Howard never had control of it before it crossed the line). And if he lost sight of the puck ... well, isn't that why we have a multitude of cameras pointed at the cage?

All that said: It is refreshing to see the Red Wings get the benefit of one of these situations for once, as they're usually the ones getting screwed.

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-316185

All that's fine and dandy, but what this writer fails to mention is the fact that clearly the referee lost sight of the puck, hence he blew his whistle or was intending too when the puck crossed the line. There's a ton of instances where the puck clearly isn't frozen by the goaltender but there's so many bodies in front of the net that the ref simply loses sight of it and has no other option but to blow the whistle.

That's what happened in this case and it most certainly doesn't make it wrong, just unfortunate for Senators fans. It happens all the time though.

On top of all that, you can say what you want but the puck absolutely gets lost in the overhead view which is why the non-goal was likely upheld.

It was good to see Franzen try for once this season. Hopefully he plays like this the majority of the rest of this season and postseason.

Yea. Because he hasn't been trying all year.

For Christ's sake, the guy scores 5 goals in a game and is on pace for 43 and you rag on him.

When 4 of the 5 goals were scored due to defensive breakdowns and blown coverages, its hard to fault Howard. Speaking from experience, when my team plays well in front of me and keeps the shots to the outside, I can pitch a shutout or keep them to 1 or 2 goals scored. When my team plays poorly, it can be 6 goals allowed easy. This is why Ken Holland invests so much into his defensive core. The goaltender is the last line of defense. The defense is there to make sure it doesn't come to that.

The armchair fans in this forum and other hockey boards really have got to get out there and play the game.

Aside from that, the Wings didn't play their best game. Big deal. In the course of a season, teams are going to go through highs and lows. The Wings are solid at the top of the division and with an injured group of players that are coming back now. Be patient. Give it time. Still 32 games to go until playoffs.

:unsure:

Manny Legace, is that you?

When 4 of the 5 goals were scored due to defensive breakdowns and blown coverages, its hard to fault Howard. Speaking from experience, when my team plays well in front of me and keeps the shots to the outside, I can pitch a shutout or keep them to 1 or 2 goals scored. When my team plays poorly, it can be 6 goals allowed easy. This is why Ken Holland invests so much into his defensive core. The goaltender is the last line of defense. The defense is there to make sure it doesn't come to that.

The armchair fans in this forum and other hockey boards really have got to get out there and play the game.

Aside from that, the Wings didn't play their best game. Big deal. In the course of a season, teams are going to go through highs and lows. The Wings are solid at the top of the division and with an injured group of players that are coming back now. Be patient. Give it time. Still 32 games to go until playoffs.

I spent more time on skates growing up then in shoes. Plenty have. But this is the NHL. If you're a goalie in the NHL, let alone a starting goalie on one of the top teams, it is reasonable to expect a goalie to be better than Howard has been this year. I don't care what team you're playing for, what injuries said team may have and what defensive issues may exist, when you have to go into a game expecting that 4 goals will be scored against you, there's a real problem.

That said, the defense has been terrible, sure, but the reality of the matter is that we are not the only team that has defensive issues. Plenty of other teams struggle far more than we do with the stupid mistakes and they don't have the talent to at times compensate for it. Yet somehow, even the terrible teams seem to have goalies outplaying Howard more often than not lately. I'm not one of the one's calling for his head, and I've got faith that he'll recover in due time, but let's be honest here...defensive breakdowns or not, Howard's had a rough year, and if he can't get it going, unless Babcock goes with Osgood, we're toast come playoff time.

It is stupid to blame every goal on him, and he isn't getting much help, but any way you shake it, he hasn't played well and he's absolutely got to play a lot better. You need your goalie to compensate for some of the inevitable defensive breakdowns. Again, I really like the guy and I'm not throwing in the towel by any means, but this year, he's simply not playing well at all.

I spent more time on skates growing up then in shoes. Plenty have. But this is the NHL. If you're a goalie in the NHL, let alone a starting goalie on one of the top teams, it is reasonable to expect a goalie to be better than Howard has been this year. I don't care what team you're playing for, what injuries said team may have and what defensive issues may exist, when you have to go into a game expecting that 4 goals will be scored against you, there's a real problem.

That said, the defense has been terrible, sure, but the reality of the matter is that we are not the only team that has defensive issues. Plenty of other teams struggle far more than we do with the stupid mistakes and they don't have the talent to at times compensate for it. Yet somehow, even the terrible teams seem to have goalies outplaying Howard more often than not lately. I'm not one of the one's calling for his head, and I've got faith that he'll recover in due time, but let's be honest here...defensive breakdowns or not, Howard's had a rough year, and if he can't get it going, unless Babcock goes with Osgood, we're toast come playoff time.

It is stupid to blame every goal on him, and he isn't getting much help, but any way you shake it, he hasn't played well and he's absolutely got to play a lot better. You need your goalie to compensate for some of the inevitable defensive breakdowns. Again, I really like the guy and I'm not throwing in the towel by any means, but this year, he's simply not playing well at all.

Goalies on terrible teams are going to shine more than goalies on great teams because of the sheer amount of chances they have against them. I have made more highlight reel saves against awesome teams because of all the chances they get to score. It doesn't make me superhuman though.

I do have to admit that you are right on one count though. Howard does have to make a big save or two in every game. Yes, blown coverages are going to happen. Its the goaltender that can make that big save or two that bolsters the confidence of the team in front of him.

Howard was lights out last season in the last 25 games. He needed to be and the Wings rallied around that. In the playoffs though, he didn't deliver his best games which was concerning. As you say before, I am not blaming every goal on Howard like 75% of the LGW forum members do, but that is what I tire of to be honest.

The LGW members are considered to be true fans of the Wings and the game of hockey. In the last few years, this has not been my experience. Most of them are quick to jump all over the players if they make a mistake or the goaltender for every goal that goes in. Be damned if the goal was scored by an uncovered player on the other side of the net, a tip, or a deflection he had no chance to stop.

Excellent analogy though. Thanks for your well thought out response.

Edited by Nightfall

Like you wouldn't like seeing Carrie Underwood at the Joe.

if that means giving Fil and a 2nd rounder away, no. But if she decided to divorce Fisher and marry one of the wings that'll be fine with me :hehe:

So you're denying that he hasn't been floating the majority of the season?

Pure floater ...... ;)The Mule

on a side note in the user comments for this story if you scroll down you will see a comment from a user named Mindfly, I'm assuming this would be our very own LGW Mindfly and if you read his comments it will further convince you that he is lost:

mindfly

1 hour ago

I just wished he showed up for every game, became more of a consistent scorer, he's awesome when he gets the hat-tricks, 4goal games here and there but i would take consistency over streakyness. But at 3.9M it's a win-win even though the contract is long, not many teams would get a franzen for that money.

Where does he come up with this stuff, it was the Mule's first career regular season hatty.

Pure floater ...... ;)The Mule

on a side note in the user comments for this story if you scroll down you will see a comment from a user named Mindfly, I'm assuming this would be our very own LGW Mindfly and if you read his comments it will further convince you that he is lost:

mindfly

1 hour ago

I just wished he showed up for every game, became more of a consistent scorer, he's awesome when he gets the hat-tricks, 4goal games here and there but i would take consistency over streakyness. But at 3.9M it's a win-win even though the contract is long, not many teams would get a franzen for that money.

Where does he come up with this stuff, it was the Mule's first career regular season hatty.

Again... this season. Why is that so hard to comprehend?