• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Broken 16

Shades of Fedorov?

Rate this topic

I realize the comparison is obvious given the 5 goal game. And I also realize that Fedorov had a much deeper skill set but Franzen is reminding me of Fedorov in a LOT of other ways...

1) Stud in the playoffs

2) Sometimes I feel like he just doesn't give a s***

3) I feel like Franzen could just turn it on at any second and take over a game if he wanted to

4) Makes impossible things look easy and almost looks bored doing it sometimes (not in a Fedorov 'freak of nature' way, but that skate to stick goal was ridiculous)

I realize the comparison is obvious given the 5 goal game. And I also realize that Fedorov had a much deeper skill set but Franzen is reminding me of Fedorov in a LOT of other ways...

1) Stud in the playoffs

2) Sometimes I feel like he just doesn't give a s***

3) I feel like Franzen could just turn it on at any second and take over a game if he wanted to

4) Makes impossible things look easy and almost looks bored doing it sometimes (not in a Fedorov 'freak of nature' way, but that skate to stick goal was ridiculous)

I was at that game. It was my second Wings game ever, my Mom's first game. December of '96 against the Capitals, I believe. It's one of my more vivid memories in my childhood. Konstantinov skates into the Caps zone in OT and drop passes it to Federov who rockets it home!

I was at that game. It was my second Wings game ever, my Mom's first game. December of '96 against the Capitals, I believe. It's one of my more vivid memories in my childhood. Konstantinov skates into the Caps zone in OT and drop passes it to Federov who rockets it home!

I remember watching it on TV. Amazing game.

Obviously Franzen can't hold a candle to Fedorov in terms of overall skill, but Franzen annoys me like Feds used to. He's one of those players that makes me wonder what would happen if he gave 100% all the time.

I remember Fedorov's 5-goaler being blacked out. :(

I can understand the point your alluding to with your post, but as others have said - Fedorov was so much better in his own zone. Franzen is great, and has the ability to

in any given game; but Fedorov was elite when he was a Red Wing.

I remember Fedorov's 5-goaler being blacked out. :(

I can understand the point your alluding to with your post, but as others have said - Fedorov was so much better in his own zone. Franzen is great, and has the ability to

in any given game; but Fedorov was elite when he was a Red Wing.

Ya. I know it's kinda hard to have an objective comparison between Feds and anybody here at LGW, but my first though last night was how weird it was that Franzen has been annoying me this season with what I perceive to be a lack of effort on some nights, only to explode for 5 goals. Very Fedorov'esque to me. :)

Ya. I know it's kinda hard to have an objective comparison between Feds and anybody here at LGW, but my first though last night was how weird it was that Franzen has been annoying me this season with what I perceive to be a lack of effort on some nights, only to explode for 5 goals. Very Fedorov'esque to me. :)

Yeah, I can totally get behind that. Especially because Franzen scores in a seemingly effortless manner, you can't help but think that he's just Fedoroving (not trying). I'm hardly an enormous Fedorov supporter - his departure always left a bad taste in my mouth - but it's a hard comparison to make beyond the effort thing.

Yeah, I can totally get behind that. Especially because Franzen scores in a seemingly effortless manner, you can't help but think that he's just Fedoroving (not trying). I'm hardly an enormous Fedorov supporter - his departure always left a bad taste in my mouth - but it's a hard comparison to make beyond the effort thing.

Totally agreed. And I'm a Feds supporter. I always just chalked him up as quirky. A by-product of his skill. I would have welcomed him back any time. But you hit the nail on the head... it's the way Franzen seems to score so effortlessly that makes you wonder if he is Fedoroving.

Totally agreed. And I'm a Feds supporter. I always just chalked him up as quirky. A by-product of his skill. I would have welcomed him back any time. But you hit the nail on the head... it's the way Franzen seems to score so effortlessly that makes you wonder if he is Fedoroving.

I hear you on the sometimes seems lazy comparison. But even that being said, I know Sergei Fedorov, Sergei Fedorov is a friend of mine, Johan Franzen is no Sergei Fedorov... :lol:

...anyhow seriously, Fedorov made all those plays and dominated the ice in a totally different NHL, clutch and grab, impede, interfere, etc... Could you imagine Fedorov from 1994 playing in today's freestyle game? Sheesh! I do agree with the lack of effort every night comparison, BUT, when Fedorov was on, he was better than ANYONE in the league, including Greztky and Messier AND Yzerman. You cannot say the same about Franzen, even when Franzen is on, he pales in comparison to the other consistent elite players in the league. Plus, he could NEVER play as good as Feds if Franzen played in 1996, even if they were both ON that night.

...don't even get me started on the fragility of Franzen compared to Sergei....

Edited by LeftWinger

I totally get what you're saying. It's annoying to see Franzen look lazy as hell some games when you know that he has the ability to be so damn dominant.

There's probably just something psychological that Franzen shares with Fedorov, that they have a hard time giving 100% (or 110%) if it's not a very important game, such as in the playoffs.

But even though I didn't see a lot of games back when Feds was a Wing, I'd definitely say that he was much more useful even on his "lazy nights" as opposed to Franzen who many times this season has been simply..nothing.

I also get the comparison, although Johan is not the inate talent that Feds was. Fedorov was easily the most gifted under-achiever ever to grace the NHL. I remember thinking that when he was on his game (or chose to play to his potential, if that is what was happening), there was no one better than Fedorov.

He was simply beautiful to watch, at least when you were not wanting to kill him for not showing up. :ph34r:

Mule isn't pretty, but he's damned effective when it really, really counts. Now, if he could just show that same fire on a regular basis, I guess we'd all just have to shut up. :P

I also get the comparison, although Johan is not the inate talent that Feds was. Fedorov was easily the most gifted under-achiever ever to grace the NHL. I remember thinking that when he was on his game (or chose to play to his potential, if that is what was happening), there was no one better than Fedorov.

He was simply beautiful to watch, at least when you were not wanting to kill him for not showing up. :ph34r:

Mule isn't pretty, but he's damned effective when it really, really counts. Now, if he could just show that same fire on a regular basis, I guess we'd all just have to shut up. :P

QFT... crazy to say that about someone with so many accolades, but it's true. If only he would have played with the tenacity of Helm every night... oooh baby. :P

Someone mentioned that Fedorov also did a lot of things during a regular game that went unnoticed, and I agree with that. But there were definitely more than a few games where he was definitely coasting. But Fedorov coasting was still a top 3 forward. Lol.

Edited by Broken 16

it's crazy, once they get their "payday" they get lazy...

Fedorov did most of his damage at $285,000 per season. Franzen got his rep BEFORE he got his lifetime contract... hmmmm.... :lol:

Franzen is on pace for 42 goals this season.

Last playoffs he scored 18 points in 12 games.

Franzen is not at the same level as Fedorov, but it's not like Franzen is some lazy hack who only performs once in a blue moon.

I think Franzen is great, but he's no Fedorov. Also, I think the whole "both don't give all their effort all the time" argument is bogus. They both have the ability to pot a goal every game, but that just isn't going to happen. Even Gretzky in the high-scoring 1980's only did it twice (which is amazing in my mind that he could even do it once!). I think lack of game-by-game production looks like laziness, but really it's not. Just like any of us with our jobs, some days you are rocking and can do no wrong, and others you just can't get out of your own way. It doesn't means you're working less hard... it's just the ebb and flow of life.

I think Franzen is great, but he's no Fedorov. Also, I think the whole "both don't give all their effort all the time" argument is bogus. They both have the ability to pot a goal every game, but that just isn't going to happen. Even Gretzky in the high-scoring 1980's only did it twice (which is amazing in my mind that he could even do it once!). I think lack of game-by-game production looks like laziness, but really it's not. Just like any of us with our jobs, some days you are rocking and can do no wrong, and others you just can't get out of your own way. It doesn't means you're working less hard... it's just the ebb and flow of life.

Which is why I titled the thread SHADES of Fedorov. I think it's pretty much common knowledge that Fedorov was one of the most talented to ever lace them up. 5 goals is a pretty dominant performance, no matter what era. It's no coincidence that the last Wing to do it was Fedorov. It takes a natural goal scorer to to do that. It just so happens that Fedorov was a natural goal scorer (or could be if he wanted to) on top of everything else.

I don't agree on the coasting part. I went to a lot of games in the 90's and it was pretty obvious when Fedorov was on auto-pilot. Franzen, I can't say with any certainty. I haven't seen as many games since Stevie retired, so I don't know if my perception of Franzen coasting is legit.

You've heard Babcock use the term "engage". Sometimes it took Fedorov a while or an incident in order to engage. Sometimes he didn't engage at all. But he was good enough that he still wasn't a liability.

Edited by Broken 16

Franzen was a defensive third line forward before early 2008.

But he was never a top-end defensive forward. And since he became the team's top sniper, he's let his defense sort of, well, not be there.

Fedorov was the closest thing the NHL has seen to a truly complete, perfect player in its history. People say he didn't give effort and didn't have a heart. He gave tons of effort. Perhaps not to a Draper or Yzerman level, but it was definitely there. Had it been at that level, he'd still be the best player in the league.

This was my first hockey game ever. 5 goals including ot winner by my favorite player. Lifetime fan that day.

Went home to FL, threw away my baseball crap, and bought a stick. All has been right with the world since.

The same thing happens to me. its not for a lack of effort, just some days arnt your day you just dont got it, and other days you completely tear s*** up. its not that you being lazy or not trying, just some days you have "it", and some days you don't. Franzen just isn't a consistant player, i doubt hes doing that consciously.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. They're two totally different mindsets and attitudes. I have a lot more respect for Johan than I ever did Fedorov. And you'll never see Johan getting speeding tickets in a Ferrari. He's just not that type. No conceit.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. They're two totally different mindsets and attitudes. I have a lot more respect for Johan than I ever did Fedorov. And you'll never see Johan getting speeding tickets in a Ferrari. He's just not that type. No conceit.

Apples are roundish

Oranges are roundish

Apples grow on trees

Oranges grow on trees

You can make apple juice

You can make orange juice

Apple is a fruit

Orange is a fruit

Apples contain natural sugars

Oranges contain natural sugars

Apples have a skin

Oranges have a skin