• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Broken 16

Shades of Fedorov?

Rate this topic

But he was never a top-end defensive forward. And since he became the team's top sniper, he's let his defense sort of, well, not be there.

Fedorov was the closest thing the NHL has seen to a truly complete, perfect player in its history. People say he didn't give effort and didn't have a heart. He gave tons of effort. Perhaps not to a Draper or Yzerman level, but it was definitely there. Had it been at that level, he'd still be the best player in the league.

There are an abundant amount of quotes from Bowman saying that Fedorov was the hardest working player on the ice every night. The lazy thing is just a huge fallacy that was created by spiteful "fans".

Apples are roundish

Oranges are roundish

Apples grow on trees

Oranges grow on trees

You can make apple juice

You can make orange juice

Apple is a fruit

Orange is a fruit

Apples contain natural sugars

Oranges contain natural sugars

Apples have a skin

Oranges have a skin

Apples are non-lethal when thrown at the head

Oranges are non-lethal when thrown at the head

You can juggle apples

You can juggle oranges

False!

There are an abundant amount of quotes from Bowman saying that Fedorov was the hardest working player on the ice every night. The lazy thing is just a huge fallacy that was created by spiteful "fans".

Ya, but he also had another gear or two. I never considered him lazy. Granted, maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to always perform at those top gears, but he made the rest of it look so easy, you couldn't help but wonder. Fedorov could have been the Michael Jordan of hockey... as much as I hate that comparison. Besides, despite the regular season accolades he accumulated, I always viewed Fedorov as a tournament player/playoff performer. Kinda like Franzen.

Edited by Broken 16

Guest Crymson

I remember watching it on TV. Amazing game.

Obviously Franzen can't hold a candle to Fedorov in terms of overall skill, but Franzen annoys me like Feds used to. He's one of those players that makes me wonder what would happen if he gave 100% all the time.

Franzen doesn't have the pure level of talent that Fedorov has. However, his ego and general level of conceit also doesn't hold a candle to what 91 had. Fedorov was extremely full of himself and often behaved childishly when it came to anything that threatened his massive ego.

But he was never a top-end defensive forward. And since he became the team's top sniper, he's let his defense sort of, well, not be there.

Fedorov was the closest thing the NHL has seen to a truly complete, perfect player in its history. People say he didn't give effort and didn't have a heart. He gave tons of effort. Perhaps not to a Draper or Yzerman level, but it was definitely there. Had it been at that level, he'd still be the best player in the league.

eric_lindros_retirement.jpg

eric_lindros_retirement.jpg

Lindros was an average skater for a top-line center, and he was terrible defensively until his Rangers years. Fedorov was arguably the best puckhandler, fastest skater and hardest shooter, one of the top playmakers, one of the best goal scorers, and one of the top defensive players in the league. He was an excellent faceoff man, and could play all five spots.

Franzen doesn't have the pure level of talent that Fedorov has. However, his ego and general level of conceit also doesn't hold a candle to what 91 had. Fedorov was extremely full of himself and often behaved childishly when it came to anything that threatened his massive ego.

Your ignorance and bias hate makes me laugh.

Lindros was an average skater for a top-line center, and he was terrible defensively until his Rangers years. Fedorov was arguably the best puckhandler, fastest skater and hardest shooter, one of the top playmakers, one of the best goal scorers, and one of the top defensive players in the league. He was an excellent faceoff man, and could play all five spots.

I made a mistake. I should have put a picture of Bobby Orr up. He was a perfect player that could do anything on the ice on either side of the ice. He's the closest anyone has been to a perfect player, at least by looking at the description you just wrote down of Fedorov.

As for Lindros, he was a bigger force in front of the net than Fedorov, and one of the best hitters in league history. He was a beast to play against night after night, unlike Fedorov, who often took nights off as others have said. Lindros was also great at faceoffs and a very good fighter. For a guy that size to have that kind of skill set and aggressiveness, is unprecedented. Physicality and hitting was just never a part of Fedorov's game.

Lindros could run over you or go around you.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Crymson

Your ignorance and bias hate makes me laugh.

The absolutely ludicrous nature of your post aside, your inability to construct a coherent sentence makes me laugh.

I don't know if I would call Franzen lazy or someone who doesn't give a s*** so much as I would just call him a streaky scorer. I was kinda the same way when I played. More of a mental thing, really. When the goals are coming, you're just in the zone and they come easy without thinking about it. When you aren't well, it's just frustrating because you feel useless and a step behind the play. Hard to describe how that switch in your head turns on and off...

I made a mistake. I should have put a picture of Bobby Orr up. He was a perfect player that could do anything on the ice on either side of the ice. He's the closest anyone has been to a perfect player, at least by looking at the description you just wrote down of Fedorov.

As for Lindros, he was a bigger force in front of the net than Fedorov, and one of the best hitters in league history. He was a beast to play against night after night, unlike Fedorov, who often took nights off as others have said. Lindros was also great at faceoffs and a very good fighter. For a guy that size to have that kind of skill set and aggressiveness, is unprecedented. Physicality and hitting was just never a part of Fedorov's game.

Lindros could run over you or go around you.

Im very biased here, but I think there is no debate on the better player, Lindros vs Fedorov.

Now if building a team, and had to pick a set of brothers mayb.....na, i'd still take the Fedorovs.

Ok,if building a pro wrestling league, I would take the Lindros Boyz....blah.

Im very biased here, but I think there is no debate on the better player, Lindros vs Fedorov.

Now if building a team, and had to pick a set of brothers mayb.....na, i'd still take the Fedorovs.

Ok,if building a pro wrestling league, I would take the Lindros Boyz....blah.

If I was starting a team and could have either player in their prime (meaning before the concussions set it), I'd take Lindros. Fedorov never had to carry the Wings.

Still, to answer what eva said about Fedorov, and what I posted in the above thread, Bobby Orr is the most complete, perfect player in NHL history. Lindros just jumped into my mind first, but then I immediately thought of Bobby Orr.

I would definitely consider Franzen an elite player. That series against the Avs in '08 is still one of the most remarkable playoff series I've ever seen by a single player. He has the ability to be so clutch when the team needs him.

But I will agree with the consensus that you can't really compare him with Federov especially when it comes to sheer skill. So I'm not even going to go there but I just wanted to say I would consider the Mule elite any day of the week.

If I was starting a team and could have either player in their prime (meaning before the concussions set it), I'd take Lindros. Fedorov never had to carry the Wings.

Still, to answer what eva said about Fedorov, and what I posted in the above thread, Bobby Orr is the most complete, perfect player in NHL history. Lindros just jumped into my mind first, but then I immediately thought of Bobby Orr.

Lindros in his prime over Fedorov at 100% full speed? No.... Remember PRE-concussion, Konstaninov made Lindros look stupid, at full speed NOBODY could touch Fedorov.

Lindros in his prime over Fedorov at 100% full speed? No.... Remember PRE-concussion, Konstaninov made Lindros look stupid, at full speed NOBODY could touch Fedorov.

Doesn't matter, any Elite Power Forward > Elite non fighter/power forward in GMR's mind.

I think you can connect really any athletes if you want it's your perception... And perception is everything... But No Franzen is great on his own, he quickly fades compared to Fedorov but then most would.

will fedorov end up in HHOF?

First ballot w/o question. It's the hockey hall of fame and not the NHL hall of fame (which he'd be a lock for). He has 10 international medals (5 gold). Plus, he holds a lot of "only player ever" records too.

I think you can connect really any athletes if you want it's your perception... And perception is everything... But No Franzen is great on his own, he quickly fades compared to Fedorov but then most would.

Ya. I was trying more to illustrate how Franzen seems to be annoying me in the same fashion Fedorov used to back in the day. Guess I failed. :)

Beyond the annoyance factor, there is no comparison, really.

Ya. I was trying more to illustrate how Franzen seems to be annoying me in the same fashion Fedorov used to back in the day. Guess I failed. :)

Beyond the annoyance factor, there is no comparison, really.

I can see the annoyance factor as the both underachieve at times and they both step it up at times, but I think that Fedorov underachieving still put him ahead of Franzen most of the time, and when Fedorov turned it on... Well then you have to start looking at Wayne, Mario, Yzerman, Howe for comparisons. I think (and I will probably catch a lot of flack for this) Fedorov was the most purely raw talented player to ever where the Winged Wheel and had he applied himself on a daily basis could have been one of the greatest of all time.

I realize the comparison is obvious given the 5 goal game. And I also realize that Fedorov had a much deeper skill set but Franzen is reminding me of Fedorov in a LOT of other ways...

1) Stud in the playoffs

2) Sometimes I feel like he just doesn't give a s***

3) I feel like Franzen could just turn it on at any second and take over a game if he wanted to

4) Makes impossible things look easy and almost looks bored doing it sometimes (not in a Fedorov 'freak of nature' way, but that skate to stick goal was ridiculous)

i appreciate the thread and your attempt to stir up conversation. i am not sure i 100% agree with you, but definitely understand where you are coming from.

federov and franzen are both guys that can look like they want to be anywhere other than on the ice. whether or not they really are being lazy or apathetic is kind of irrelevant. because as fans 99.9999% of the time, we will never know if a player if going 100%. but we certainly have our perceptions. and you are saying you get the same perception watching them and the same frustration. i can definitely see the comparison.

just wanted to give some support as everyone on here is so negative and hateful.

Fedorov was the most purely raw talented player to ever where the Winged Wheel and had he applied himself on a daily basis could have been one of the greatest of all time.

I would debate Lidstrom on this particular statement but Fedorov was just unreal and at time made you just shake your head. Datsyuk also.

Shades of Fedorov? I get what you're saying in that you have the idea that if Franzen came to play with a high level of intensity every game, he'd be be unstoppable. With fedorov, I recall going to games and being very disappointed that Feddy was totally dis-interesed and invisible. There were many nights where he just mailed it in. With Franzen, I'm not so sure it's attributable to laziness. I remember when he started scoring big goals in the playoffs, he remarked in the post games that it was really exciting for him to be scoring game winners because he WASN'T USED TO IT. His goal scoring ability has emerged as a strength of his and perhaps he himself doesn't quite yet have a handle on it. I've seen games where he is going right to the net repeatedly and coming very close to multiple goal games. I think the jury is still out on the Mule and his magic wrist shot.

I would debate Lidstrom on this particular statement but Fedorov was just unreal and at time made you just shake your head. Datsyuk also.

now there's a debate! I believe with 100%, that if Fedorov was a defenseman (FULLTIME) and still had all the two way dominating talent that he possessed while here, HE would be the one with all the Norris' and he would be considered better than Lidstrom. He wold also be rivaling Orr, if not have passed him up in Norris Trophy's.

edit: Fedorov has 136 less Red Wing points than Lidstrom, but has played in 554 LESS Red Wing games than Lidstrom. Fedorov career average as a Red Wing is 1.05 PPG, Lidstom's is .74 PPG. I know this is comparing a forward to a defensman, but you have to believe that Fedorov would still score more points than Lids considering his offensive dominance. Being a top defender, he would also be on the ice more than he was as a forward, so you would have to factor that in too... I aint knocking Lidstrom at all, don't get me wrong.

Edited by LeftWinger

now there's a debate! I believe with 100%, that if Fedorov was a defenseman (FULLTIME) and still had all the two way dominating talent that he possessed while here, HE would be the one with all the Norris' and he would be considered better than Lidstrom. He wold also be rivaling Orr, if not have passed him up in Norris Trophy's.

Very true. He would have been a Mike Green/Brooks Orpik/Chara/ Niedermayer hybrid. Super offensive, while playing fantastic shut down defense with a booming shot and amazing speed.