• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Franzen was a defensive third line forward before early 2008.

But he was never a top-end defensive forward. And since he became the team's top sniper, he's let his defense sort of, well, not be there.

Fedorov was the closest thing the NHL has seen to a truly complete, perfect player in its history. People say he didn't give effort and didn't have a heart. He gave tons of effort. Perhaps not to a Draper or Yzerman level, but it was definitely there. Had it been at that level, he'd still be the best player in the league.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#22 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

I was at that game. It was my second Wings game ever, my Mom's first game. December of '96 against the Capitals, I believe. It's one of my more vivid memories in my childhood. Konstantinov skates into the Caps zone in OT and drop passes it to Federov who rockets it home!

This was my first hockey game ever. 5 goals including ot winner by my favorite player. Lifetime fan that day.
Went home to FL, threw away my baseball crap, and bought a stick. All has been right with the world since.

#23 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

The same thing happens to me. its not for a lack of effort, just some days arnt your day you just dont got it, and other days you completely tear s*** up. its not that you being lazy or not trying, just some days you have "it", and some days you don't. Franzen just isn't a consistant player, i doubt hes doing that consciously.

#24 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

That's like comparing apples to oranges. They're two totally different mindsets and attitudes. I have a lot more respect for Johan than I ever did Fedorov. And you'll never see Johan getting speeding tickets in a Ferrari. He's just not that type. No conceit.
Posted Image

#25 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

That's like comparing apples to oranges. They're two totally different mindsets and attitudes. I have a lot more respect for Johan than I ever did Fedorov. And you'll never see Johan getting speeding tickets in a Ferrari. He's just not that type. No conceit.

Apples are roundish
Oranges are roundish

Apples grow on trees
Oranges grow on trees

You can make apple juice
You can make orange juice

Apple is a fruit
Orange is a fruit

Apples contain natural sugars
Oranges contain natural sugars

Apples have a skin
Oranges have a skin

Apples are non-lethal when thrown at the head
Oranges are non-lethal when thrown at the head

You can juggle apples
You can juggle oranges

Edited by Broken 16, 03 February 2011 - 11:26 AM.

#26 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

But he was never a top-end defensive forward. And since he became the team's top sniper, he's let his defense sort of, well, not be there.

Fedorov was the closest thing the NHL has seen to a truly complete, perfect player in its history. People say he didn't give effort and didn't have a heart. He gave tons of effort. Perhaps not to a Draper or Yzerman level, but it was definitely there. Had it been at that level, he'd still be the best player in the league.

There are an abundant amount of quotes from Bowman saying that Fedorov was the hardest working player on the ice every night. The lazy thing is just a huge fallacy that was created by spiteful "fans".

Apples are roundish
Oranges are roundish

Apples grow on trees
Oranges grow on trees

You can make apple juice
You can make orange juice

Apple is a fruit
Orange is a fruit

Apples contain natural sugars
Oranges contain natural sugars

Apples have a skin
Oranges have a skin

Apples are non-lethal when thrown at the head
Oranges are non-lethal when thrown at the head

You can juggle apples
You can juggle oranges

False!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#27 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

There are an abundant amount of quotes from Bowman saying that Fedorov was the hardest working player on the ice every night. The lazy thing is just a huge fallacy that was created by spiteful "fans".

Ya, but he also had another gear or two. I never considered him lazy. Granted, maybe it's unrealistic to expect him to always perform at those top gears, but he made the rest of it look so easy, you couldn't help but wonder. Fedorov could have been the Michael Jordan of hockey... as much as I hate that comparison. Besides, despite the regular season accolades he accumulated, I always viewed Fedorov as a tournament player/playoff performer. Kinda like Franzen.

Edited by Broken 16, 03 February 2011 - 12:22 PM.

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

I remember watching it on TV. Amazing game.

Obviously Franzen can't hold a candle to Fedorov in terms of overall skill, but Franzen annoys me like Feds used to. He's one of those players that makes me wonder what would happen if he gave 100% all the time.

Franzen doesn't have the pure level of talent that Fedorov has. However, his ego and general level of conceit also doesn't hold a candle to what 91 had. Fedorov was extremely full of himself and often behaved childishly when it came to anything that threatened his massive ego.

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Posted Image
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#30 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

Posted Image

Lindros was an average skater for a top-line center, and he was terrible defensively until his Rangers years. Fedorov was arguably the best puckhandler, fastest skater and hardest shooter, one of the top playmakers, one of the best goal scorers, and one of the top defensive players in the league. He was an excellent faceoff man, and could play all five spots.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#31 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

Franzen doesn't have the pure level of talent that Fedorov has. However, his ego and general level of conceit also doesn't hold a candle to what 91 had. Fedorov was extremely full of himself and often behaved childishly when it came to anything that threatened his massive ego.

Your ignorance and bias hate makes me laugh.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

Lindros was an average skater for a top-line center, and he was terrible defensively until his Rangers years. Fedorov was arguably the best puckhandler, fastest skater and hardest shooter, one of the top playmakers, one of the best goal scorers, and one of the top defensive players in the league. He was an excellent faceoff man, and could play all five spots.

I made a mistake. I should have put a picture of Bobby Orr up. He was a perfect player that could do anything on the ice on either side of the ice. He's the closest anyone has been to a perfect player, at least by looking at the description you just wrote down of Fedorov.

As for Lindros, he was a bigger force in front of the net than Fedorov, and one of the best hitters in league history. He was a beast to play against night after night, unlike Fedorov, who often took nights off as others have said. Lindros was also great at faceoffs and a very good fighter. For a guy that size to have that kind of skill set and aggressiveness, is unprecedented. Physicality and hitting was just never a part of Fedorov's game.

Lindros could run over you or go around you.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 February 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

Your ignorance and bias hate makes me laugh.

The absolutely ludicrous nature of your post aside, your inability to construct a coherent sentence makes me laugh.

#34 LidstromIsASuperhero

LidstromIsASuperhero

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

I don't know if I would call Franzen lazy or someone who doesn't give a s*** so much as I would just call him a streaky scorer. I was kinda the same way when I played. More of a mental thing, really. When the goals are coming, you're just in the zone and they come easy without thinking about it. When you aren't well, it's just frustrating because you feel useless and a step behind the play. Hard to describe how that switch in your head turns on and off...

#35 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

I made a mistake. I should have put a picture of Bobby Orr up. He was a perfect player that could do anything on the ice on either side of the ice. He's the closest anyone has been to a perfect player, at least by looking at the description you just wrote down of Fedorov.

As for Lindros, he was a bigger force in front of the net than Fedorov, and one of the best hitters in league history. He was a beast to play against night after night, unlike Fedorov, who often took nights off as others have said. Lindros was also great at faceoffs and a very good fighter. For a guy that size to have that kind of skill set and aggressiveness, is unprecedented. Physicality and hitting was just never a part of Fedorov's game.

Lindros could run over you or go around you.

Im very biased here, but I think there is no debate on the better player, Lindros vs Fedorov.
Now if building a team, and had to pick a set of brothers mayb.....na, i'd still take the Fedorovs.
Ok,if building a pro wrestling league, I would take the Lindros Boyz....blah.

#36 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Im very biased here, but I think there is no debate on the better player, Lindros vs Fedorov.
Now if building a team, and had to pick a set of brothers mayb.....na, i'd still take the Fedorovs.
Ok,if building a pro wrestling league, I would take the Lindros Boyz....blah.

If I was starting a team and could have either player in their prime (meaning before the concussions set it), I'd take Lindros. Fedorov never had to carry the Wings.

Still, to answer what eva said about Fedorov, and what I posted in the above thread, Bobby Orr is the most complete, perfect player in NHL history. Lindros just jumped into my mind first, but then I immediately thought of Bobby Orr.

#37 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

I would definitely consider Franzen an elite player. That series against the Avs in '08 is still one of the most remarkable playoff series I've ever seen by a single player. He has the ability to be so clutch when the team needs him.

But I will agree with the consensus that you can't really compare him with Federov especially when it comes to sheer skill. So I'm not even going to go there but I just wanted to say I would consider the Mule elite any day of the week.

#38 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

Got to wonder what type of #'s Mule would have if he wasn't a big bag o' milk. I definitely have thought of him as a 40 goal scorer so we will see.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

If I was starting a team and could have either player in their prime (meaning before the concussions set it), I'd take Lindros. Fedorov never had to carry the Wings.

Still, to answer what eva said about Fedorov, and what I posted in the above thread, Bobby Orr is the most complete, perfect player in NHL history. Lindros just jumped into my mind first, but then I immediately thought of Bobby Orr.

Lindros in his prime over Fedorov at 100% full speed? No.... Remember PRE-concussion, Konstaninov made Lindros look stupid, at full speed NOBODY could touch Fedorov.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#40 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

Lindros in his prime over Fedorov at 100% full speed? No.... Remember PRE-concussion, Konstaninov made Lindros look stupid, at full speed NOBODY could touch Fedorov.

Doesn't matter, any Elite Power Forward > Elite non fighter/power forward in GMR's mind.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank