• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

Gee, wow. Yzerman said it. Does that make it automatically true?

So every other time, Yzerman's word is gospel... just not this time. Lol.

#82 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

No way. Franzen couldn't hold Fedorov's jockstrap in the playoffs. Unlinke Franzen, Fedorov was actually a great two-way player.

Wow - this might be a 1st...We actually agree on something :lol:

Yeah - we wish we could have a Fedorov clone; I'd take Fedorov in his prime over Franzen any day of the week .

:lol: at how this thread has gotten way off topic! BUT to keep it off topic, put the Russian 5 up against Franzen - Zetterberg - Holmstrom Lidstrom - Kronwall. I think the Russians would prevail.

I'd be close, but I agree...The Russian 5 were something else!

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#83 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Franzen doesn't have the pure level of talent that Fedorov has. However, his ego and general level of conceit also doesn't hold a candle to what 91 had. Fedorov was extremely full of himself and often behaved childishly when it came to anything that threatened his massive ego.

True, and it didn't help by pissing off Holland, and Ilitch with his holding out (and signing a contract with the Canes) back in the 1997/1998 season...Franzen comes across as a more amicable fellow.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#84 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

True, and it didn't help by pissing off Holland, and Ilitch with his holding out (and signing a contract with the Canes) back in the 1997/1998 season...Franzen comes across as a more amicable fellow.

I agree! The holdout didn't sit too well with Mr. I, but more so than that,I think it is who actually signed Fedorov is what REALLY pissed Ilitch off! Pete Karmanos and Iltich are BITTER, BITTER, BITTER (did I mention BITTER?) rivals and generally do not like each other. Then, during his contract year 2002-2003, Iltich offered him TOP salary and Fedorov didn't want to sign until AFTER the season, that also offended Ilitch and after he pulled that 5yr offer off the table, his offer after the season shrunk to 4 yrs. Fedorov said he would accept the earlier offer and Iltich told him that offer was gone. So Feds signed for the same amount in Anaheim.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#85 chuklz

chuklz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Which is why I titled the thread SHADES of Fedorov. I think it's pretty much common knowledge that Fedorov was one of the most talented to ever lace them up. 5 goals is a pretty dominant performance, no matter what era. It's no coincidence that the last Wing to do it was Fedorov. It takes a natural goal scorer to to do that. It just so happens that Fedorov was a natural goal scorer (or could be if he wanted to) on top of everything else.

I don't agree on the coasting part. I went to a lot of games in the 90's and it was pretty obvious when Fedorov was on auto-pilot. Franzen, I can't say with any certainty. I haven't seen as many games since Stevie retired, so I don't know if my perception of Franzen coasting is legit.

You've heard Babcock use the term "engage". Sometimes it took Fedorov a while or an incident in order to engage. Sometimes he didn't engage at all. But he was good enough that he still wasn't a liability.

Yes he's a shade because he doesnt consistently play at 100%, and when he does he dominates relatively. That's where the comparison ends.

We call Franzen the Mule because he's stubborn, and you really don't want to piss him off if you're on the other team. He carries his load and gets the job done. Piss him off, and all bets are off. We call Federov the best underachiever because he was as stated before so elite that 80% effort still dominated the average opponent. He lacked the heart of Yzerman, Gretzky etc. When he was on he was on. I think we should retire his number. He's part of what built the dynasty we enjoy today.