• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/5 GDT: Red Wings 0 at Predators 3

Rate this topic

I watched the Preds' swarming defense tonight and thought, "We can do that". Hell, we have the speed and the smarts, so why the hell not?

The fact that this obviously hasn't dawned on McCrimmon (Or Babcock?) is also not a good thing,among too many other not good things.

You're right, we haven't seen the last of the "good" Red Wings. The concern is that they so easily fall into these funks, and have been battling the SAME problems all season (bad passing for extended periods, terrible goaltending {except for tonight}, terrible shooting decisions, etc.)

But I'm hoping they still have that higher gear they can flip on, but I think there may have to be one or two significant changes to the team before the trade deadline.

So true, so true. Just when you think they're on the upswing, they tank again. I agree with everybody who's saying that we could do with a couple of changes.

I agree with some of this literally, and all of it in spirit.

They remind me of Dallas a few years ago, before the Stars' owners brought in Joe Nieuwendyk, fired Coach Tippett (not his fault), dumped Modano, dumped Turco - ok, that was a good idea, Lehtinen retired (he could still play), Zubov retired (ditto). The team acted like they'd never met out there on the ice.

Not saying a blow up would help, but changes will need to be made, if we are to regain/retain dominance. Regular season means little, but I can't see this team/these goalies getting very far in the playoffs, without a major shift in attitude.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't think they are trying. It's just that sometimes, the wheel is spinning. No traction, no reaction. They just seem... puzzled.

You put it best. I specifically wasn't calling for a blow-up of the roster. But it's clear we need a goalie, and it's clear defense has been the weak link all season long. I like all of our defensemen but it's clearly not working. Moving one of our middle defenseman for another proven defenseman who can block shots might be all the team needs. I honestly don't feel any of our players deserve to be run out of town, but there needs to be a new dynamic on defense, which good shot blocking could provide. So again, no "blow-up" but some strategic re-jiggering is in order.

I'm not getting this attitude from some people that this team needs some kind of major roster shake-up.

This is pretty much the same roster that just saw a Championship, a SCF's appearance and overcame huge adversity last season only to be pimped in the second round.

Some of you need to chill. Wow.

I'm waiting for February to come and go, with no moves. LGW will be epic.

In all liklihood nothing will happen, and as always I will support Holland's move. He knows what he's doing. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he made at least one move.

Guest mjtm77

Love all the people on here after some bad games. you guys think are team is done we suck. Exept your the same peopel that when were wining think we are going to win the cup. Huh...................

Q: "Nick, having been in a similar situation before - in particular last year - how does a captain and a champion deal with this sort of adversity?"

A: "Well, the only thing you can really do is look deep inside yourself and grab a firm hold of your yambag."

50885764.jpg

I'm not getting this attitude from some people that this team needs some kind of major roster shake-up.

This is pretty much the same roster that just saw a Championship, a SCF's appearance and overcame huge adversity last season only to be pimped in the second round.

I agree. Being shutout in back to back games definitely sucks, but at the end of the day it's just a two game losing streak, that's nothing in hockey. I'd be dollars to donuts they win on Monday, but even if not, a three game streak is only when I begin to start feeling concerned.

There are issues with the defense and goaltending, but when you look back on it there were in 2009 as well, but it turned out they were just waiting for the playoffs. It's annoying how by saving themselves for the postseason we end up with a lot of half-assing on a lot of nights, but you can't argue with the results, which you laid out up there.

If they get their asses kicked in the playoffs again and end up with a billion goals against then it might be time to think about changes; changes that are coming anyways whether we like it or not since Nick and Rafalski's time is almost up.

well the teams that made the finals had players like mccarty, downey, lilja, and drake. this team on the other hand likes to get pushed around. I just dont see the heart and emotion in this team that i have seen in the past. Im not saying get goon pylons (downey) but the team as a whole needs to grow some balls. guys like drake that play with a ton of heart, are contagious I want to see some emotion. Remember the first game of the season against the ducks? the team was pumped they played with heart didnt take s***, and looked like they wanted to be out on the ice! if i was babs i would play draper, helm, eaves,abby and draper the whole game, cuz they actually look like they wanna be out on the ice. bert looks like he would like to go take a nap during the games, and so do half the other players. skill alone doesnt get you wins, or a cup, heart, determination, effort, and a willingness to do whatever it takes does.

I agree. Being shutout in back to back games definitely sucks, but at the end of the day it's just a two game losing streak, that's nothing in hockey. I'd be dollars to donuts they win on Monday, but even if not, a three game streak is only when I begin to start feeling concerned.

There are issues with the defense and goaltending, but when you look back on it there were in 2009 as well, but it turned out they were just waiting for the playoffs. It's annoying how by saving themselves for the postseason we end up with a lot of half-assing on a lot of nights, but you can't argue with the results, which you laid out up there.

If they get their asses kicked in the playoffs again and end up with a billion goals against then it might be time to think about changes; changes that are coming anyways whether we like it or not since Nick and Rafalski's time is almost up.

Ya. I hate going to this well too often because one of these years, they really are gonna suck, but we've got a great mix of seasoned veterans and hungry youth. Datsyuk is out. Stuart is out. Flip is still nursing a little I'm sure. Same with Cleary. I think Modano is still going to have a big impact. He should be back in time to get his legs and he was showing signs of nice chemistry before going down.

By biggest concern is goaltending. Looks like we are just gonna have to hope and pray that Jimmy gets hot at the right time.

well the teams that made the finals had players like mccarty, downey, lilja, and drake. this team on the other hand likes to get pushed around. I just dont see the heart and emotion in this team that i have seen in the past. Im not saying get goon pylons (downey) but the team as a whole needs to grow some balls. guys like drake that play with a ton of heart, are contagious I want to see some emotion. Remember the first game of the season against the ducks? the team was pumped they played with heart didnt take s***, and looked like they wanted to be out on the ice! if i was babs i would play draper, helm, eaves,abby and draper the whole game, cuz they actually look like they wanna be out on the ice. bert looks like he would like to go take a nap during the games, and so do half the other players. skill alone doesnt get you wins, or a cup, heart, determination, effort, and a willingness to do whatever it takes does.

NOT gonna get into a toughness debate with you... but McCarty was next to useless on his last stint. Lilja is wrecked. May as well not bring him up again because the player you are referencing is gone forever. The new, stripped down version of Lilja is on the Ducks. Downey... lol, Downey. Oddly beloved by some, nice guy apparently... waste of a roster spot come playoff time. Drake... was good... was NOT instrumental. That team would have won with <insert any rugged bottom six player here>.

But I do agree with the notion that seeing some fights and ugliness would have made tonights game mildly more interesting.

Drake is the only player out of the ones you listed, and to an extent Lilja who even made an impact. Salei is an improvement over Lilja (even in the grittyness depeartment). That really has nothing to do with it.

... waste of a roster spot come playoff time.

Now there's a sentence that makes sense and doesn't contradict itself in 8 words.

Not sure how anyone can claim this team is lacking a physical element. It is. And its a disadvantage. The opposition can skate around the ice without a care/ache/bruise in the world.

(I said nothing about f***ting)

2 back to back shutout losses is no biggie in the nhl? Hahah unless you're the Detroit Red Wings. Not expected to get shutout with the lineup we have. Especially against Columbus and Nashville of all teams. The break seems to have done us a lot of good. Kinda hoping Modano comes back quicker now since no one can step up to the plate and score besides Franzen on a somewhat consistent basis. Draper has been ok since back from injury. Bertuzzi depends on the game when he decides he might want to play. Hudler needs to go. Been saying it all season, so have a lot of other people. Howard has been up and down. Anyways this team has a lot of room for improvement especially defensively. Maybe a trade is in order I don't know thank f*** I'm not Kenny. Let him deal with it...

p.s. I find our team highly overrated at the moment and nowhere near the top of the elite in the NHL. But that's regarding this season.

Dunno what's more frustrating this season or last. Last season we pulled it together and made a great late run drive to make the playoffs, and though there is still a lot of hockey to be played this season seems it might go in the opposite direction....

Unfortunately it sucks to be losing but the expectations were very high this season and it's been disappointing. Yes we were great the first 1/4 of season. However we played some not so great or not playoff bound teams and racked up the points. It's obviously showing now. This team is frustrating to watch cause it's what night do you show up? Wouldn't mind a full roster shake up next season with some of our young guns from the AHL making the big jump. Over and out...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Now there's a sentence that makes sense and doesn't contradict itself in 8 words.

Not sure how anyone can claim this team is lacking a physical element. It is. And its a disadvantage. The opposition can skate around the ice without a care/ache/bruise in the world.

(I said nothing about f***ting)

Not sure what you mean with that first line, but you can't tell me the loss of any of those guys listed made a significant difference on this team. You guys wanna hold on to and cite Drake as our last savior and it's pretty hilarious.

You guys act like there are so many tough guys that would fit our system out there. I bet that 90% of these so-called 'bottom six team savers' would be thrown under the bus on this forum 10 days into their new contract.

2 back to back shutout losses is no biggie in the nhl? Hahah unless you're the Detroit Red Wings. Not expected to get shutout with the lineup we have. Especially against Columbus and Nashville of all teams. The break seems to have done us a lot of good. Kinda hoping Modano comes back quicker now since no one can step up to the plate and score besides Franzen on a somewhat consistent basis. Draper has been ok since back from injury. Bertuzzi depends on the game when he decides he might want to play. Hudler needs to go. Been saying it all season, so have a lot of other people. Howard has been up and down. Anyways this team has a lot of room for improvement especially defensively. Maybe a trade is in order I don't know thank f*** I'm not Kenny. Let him deal with it...

Two teams that have an elite goaltender. Think about it. The team is slumping, obviously, and they faced two great goaltenders.

p.s. I find our team highly overrated at the moment and nowhere near the top of the elite in the NHL. But that's regarding this season.

Lol... one of the top teams in the top conference. Ok.

Dunno what's more frustrating this season or last. Last season we pulled it together and made a great late run drive to make the playoffs, and though there is still a lot of hockey to be played this season seems it might go in the opposite direction....

Really? Riding the top 3 spot in the conference all season is somehow just as frustrating being on the bubble all season? This just keeps getting better.

Unfortunately it sucks to be losing but the expectations were very high this season and it's been disappointing. Yes we were great the first 1/4 of season. However we played some not so great or not playoff bound teams and racked up the points. It's obviously showing now. This team is frustrating to watch cause it's what night do you show up? Wouldn't mind a full roster shake up next season with some of our young guns from the AHL making the big jump. Over and out...

Teams in the NHL lose. Sometimes <gasp>, they lose two in a row. You sound like a Chicago fan.

Detroit was shut out two games in a row last season - twice. Turned out to be okay.

Two teams that have an elite goaltender. Think about it. The team is slumping, obviously, and they faced two great goaltenders.

I wouldn't call either Mason or Rinne an elite goaltender. Mason had an elite rookie season in 08-09, but has been horribly average since then. He'll occasionally show flashes of brilliance again, but its too far and in between for Columbus' liking. He does, however, seem to be able to turn it up against Detroit, a team that's supposed to easily handle Columbus on paper.

Edited by Hockeytown0001