• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/5 GDT: Red Wings 0 at Predators 3

Rate this topic

I'd take Rinne over Howard every day of the week.

.931 save percentage, 2.04 GAA and 4 shutouts. Not to mention, Rinne doesn't get the luxury of having an offense that scores 4-5 goals most nights to bail out subpar goaltending.

Rinne is definitely elite this season. Howard has shown no signs of performing anywhere near Rinne's level since last March.

Ok I'll go with you on Rinne being elite this season. But imo to be elite you must have consecutive seasons of great numbers. The season isn't over yet and a lot of things can change including goaltending numbers. But overall yes myabe Rinne is better than Howard. I believe this is Rinne's third nhl season? Howard's sophomore season. So it's hit or miss to start comparing them both to eachother right now. I may or may not take him over Howard.

Also I think it takes balls coming onto this forum and looking at this season and saying our team is slightly overrated. I read a lot nhl forums and the genuine consenus it that we are overrated this season considering that expectations were very high. Yes injures have happened and it hurts. I'm finding that our team is a bit overrated. Vancouver and Philly are deeper teams IMO. Considering we were picked by a lot of people to win the cup this year. It could happen. It's all an opinion of course. And lets look out for San Jose which is getting hot again after they're sluggish start. Bottom line is 1-8 going into the playoffs imo will be a dogfight more so than any previous years....

hahahah. It's the 2nd week in February and we have a 5 point lead in our division with a game in hand and we are 3rd in the NHL overall and people are whining about us being "overrated".

Short memories and short attention spans

Would you have taken Rinne over Howard last March? No I didn't think so. Last year Rinne had a .911 save pecentage and Howard had a .924.

Rinne is hot right now, Howard isn't.

People on this forum have very short memories

Indeed. Or if someone doesn't like your personal opinion they make stupid worthless non hockey comments.

Would you have taken Rinne over Howard last March? No I didn't think so. Last year Rinne had a .911 save pecentage and Howard had a .924.

Howard hasn't been "hot" for going on a year now.

Actually, I probably would have taken Rinne still. I think Jimmy Howard has the potential to be a quality starting goaltender in this league, but I've always had my doubts even during Howard's amazing run through last March. The playoffs and this season only further my questions about Howard's ability to be a consistent goaltender.

Why ask a question if you answered it for me anyways?

hahahah. It's the 2nd week in February and we have a 5 point lead in our division with a game in hand and we are 3rd in the NHL overall and people are whining about us being "overrated".

Short memories and short attention spans

hahah i'm whining cause i think our team is slighty overrated. hahah

We ain't 3rd overall either Feb 6, 2011. Right now were 5th overall.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Ok I'll go with you on Rinne being elite this season. But imo to be elite you must have consecutive seasons of great numbers. The season isn't over yet and a lot of things can change including goaltending numbers. But overall yes myabe Rinne is better than Howard. I believe this is Rinne's third nhl season? Howard's sophomore season. So it's hit or miss to start comparing them both to eachother right now. I may or may not take him over Howard.

Neither have played enough games to draw such a conclusion. Howard was great last year and Reanne was "decent". Howard has not been great this year and Renne has been excellent. To be "elite" a goaltender has to have a number of great seasons. To soon to tell. Lots of goaltenders have had 1 great season. But I certainly wouldn't take one over the other "any day of the week".

So they played like siht again. So they got another goalless 5 on 3. So they rang enough shots off the post it sounded like a church bell. So they cough the puck up all night long again. So they can't clear their own defensive zone. So they can't catch a lucky bounce to save their lives. So what. Does anyone truely believe this funk will last?

31 pages of sniveling? really?

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

I guess you are entitled to your opinion but the facts don't seem to back it up. The Wings are one of the top teams in the league again this year according to every analysis that I have read even if they did lose 2 games in a row.

So they played like siht again. So they got another goalless 5 on 3. So they rang enough shots off the post it sounded like a church bell. So they cough the puck up all night long again. So they can't clear their own defensive zone. So they can't catch a lucky bounce to save their lives. So what. Does anyone truely believe this funk will last?

31 pages of sniveling? really?

No, it won't last but they did not play like s*** last night or have trouble clearing their zone.

Neither have played enough games to draw such a conclusion. Howard was great last year and Reanne was "decent". Howard has not been great this year and Renne has been excellent. To be "elite" a goaltender has to have a number of great seasons. To soon to tell. Lots of goaltenders have had 1 great season. But I certainly wouldn't take one over the other "any day of the week".

Did you misquote what I said. I was replying to someone else. Read my paragraph again. To be "elite" takes consecutive seasons.

And your the one saying people with short attention spans. Come on man...

We ain't 3rd overall either Feb 6, 2011. Right now were 5th overall.

We are 3rd in percentage because we have a game in hand on Tampa and 4th in total points. If you want to debate about 1 point versus games in hand, knock yourself out.

Vancouver 77

Philly 75

Tampa 69

Detroit 68

I guess you are entitled to your opinion but the facts don't seem to back it up. The Wings are one of the top teams in the league again this year according to every analysis that I have read even if they did lose 2 games in a row.

What facts are there to be honest? Besides our wins total? Howard? Defense? All I'm saying as a die-hard fan, we are overrated. What has been our best win this season? Maybe the last outing against Vancouver? Maybe the comeback against Calgary who at the time was a lowly team and now is hot and in playoff contention. So what I'm asking is do you think the Wings are achieving or underachieving or is the team just perfect right now...

We are 3rd in percentage because we have a game in hand on Tampa and 4th in total points. If you want to debate about 1 point versus games in hand, knock yourself out.

Vancouver 77

Philly 75

Tampa 69

Detroit 68

ok where's pittsburgh? They have 72 points with a game in hand BRO?

If your like me you hate Pittsburgh however please don't sell them short of not being good this year. I wish they only had 50 points

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

What facts are there to be honest? Besides our wins total? Howard? Defense? All I'm saying as a die-hard fan, we are overrated. What has been our best win this season? Maybe the last outing against Vancouver? Maybe the comeback against Calgary who at the time was a lowly team and now is hot and in playoff contention. So what I'm asking is do you think the Wings are achieving or underachieving or is the team just perfect right now...

ok where's pittsburgh? They have 72 points with a game in hand BRO?

If your like me you hate Pittsburgh however please don't sell them short of not being good this year. I wish they only had 50 points

Who is overrating Detroit, anyway?

Who is overrating Detroit, anyway?

I was wondering the same thing. They've exceeded my expectations so far. Battling all season long for top spot in the West? Yes please.

I'm mildly concerned about the goalie situation but all we need is for Howard to be hot come playoffs. But that goes for every other team in the NHL too. If goaltending ends up becoming our Achilles' heal then so be it. Almost every team has one, and the Wings can still win in spite of it, imo.

I'm not worried about the D either. The D has underachieved almost every regular season for the past three seasons. They always dial it in for the playoffs. I'm optimistic for Kindl. I feel like he's gonna grow leaps and bounds during Stuart's absence and that can only help the team.

Edited by Broken 16

I would have taken Rinne last year over Howard, and I'd take him now. Rinne is a great goaltender and he's put up great numbers on a inferior team. He made Tomas Vokoun expendable, that says something.

I would have taken Rinne last year over Howard, and I'd take him now. Rinne is a great goaltender and he's put up great numbers on a inferior team. He made Tomas Vokoun expendable, that says something.

Ya... Didn't Sullivan basically say that they built the team around him in the post game?

Guest Crymson

Rinne was a disaster at times last season in the playoffs.

Guest stinky fish taco

are there people here that would actually take howard over rinne?

seriously?