• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Steve Sample

Team Defence

Rate this topic

The NHL.com stats are showing the Wings with a 2.92 gaa which is 19th spot. The question is what do you say is the cause? An aging defence core? goaltending? Defence pairings? What do you think the problem is and why?

I think that it is overall team defence. There seems to be not enough players wanting to play at both ends of the ice. Costly turnovers on the breakout and even lack of heart some nights. Makes me wonder some nights if the Wings are a bit to comfortable and a small trade might shake things up a bit and give this team some hunger!

The good news is this team is scoring goals (most nights)

alot has to do with all the stupid passing, if they focused more on carrying/dumping the puck in, instead of a last minute pass at the blue line im sure the turnovers would go down, and the outlet passes from Kronwall from one end of the ice to the other have been picked off way to easily also, just carry it up ice abit the pass.

I don't think there's any one thing that could be attributed to the Wings' recent struggles. Certainly poor defensive effort, boneheaded turnovers, and shaky efforts from the goaltending has definitely had an impact. But I don't think there's any way you could say that it's only the defense's fault, or only the goalie's fault, or only McCrimmon's fault.

It definitely something that the coaching staff needs to work on. There's no way the Wings will go far in the playoffs if they're consistently allowing 3, 4, or 5 goals in every game.

its the whole team. the wingers have problems covering the point. the defense men have problems covering the forwards and clearing out the front of the net. they try to make low percentage break out passes instead of just up or off the glass just to get it out. block important shots too.

i say you have to allow a soft goal every other game. no goalie is perfect. jimmy been good but not stand on your head good. some goalies might be able to steal a game when the defense is failing. jimmy isnt doing that this year. i only recall the one game in vancouver that he did.

im watching the habs vs rangers game. all the defense is up and out no fancy outlet passes. get it out your zone. doesnt create much offense, but it doesnt create a lot of chance. 1-0 game

Edited by brett

Team is too lazy to block shots. They're last in the league every year in that category.

Also, because the defense is small and soft around the boards, it's easy to forecheck the Wings and cause turnovers.

Edited by GMRwings1983

id give my left nut for ken hitchcock to come and replace mccrimmon. I think mainly we are having issues dealing with pucks coming out from down low. So many goals have come from teams bringing the puck down low on us. Howard hasn't been spectacular either. He needs to start stealing us games like last year. And finally, datsyuk/stuart have been out for a substantial amount of time.

ps. i don't think we need to block more shots really, i think clearing the front of the goal so jimmy can do his thing is safer (for players) and more effective.

Team is too lazy to block shots. They're last in the league every year in that category.

Also, because the defense is small and soft around the boards, it's easy to forecheck the Wings and cause turnovers.

i do think we need to block more shots, but just looking at the total number of blocked shots might be misleading. we're usually near the top (or bottom, depending on one's perspective) in shots against every year. i believe we're eighth right now; and top-five in shot differential.

i wonder what the stat would look like in terms of shot block percentages. perhaps we'd still be near the bottom....

With the factor motivation is really the biggest facter here and coming up to the stretch more to, it will be good to get dano back in the lockeroom for his presence. Honestly i think its time for alittle mix up on our defensive roster though. A 4-5 guy with a hunger for a ring.

For being a puck possession team we are making some of the dumbest decisions with the puck. Even if a lane is not open to pass it to the target player they try to force it which usually gets turned over. Passes are not tape to tape like they need to be in order for our style to really kick in.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I feel Stuart being out has a greater impact than Dats being out. It's becoming obvious just what a key part of the Wings' team Stuart is, and just how valuable he is.

I think these two are definitely part of it. Not that the Wings had it locked down defensively with Stuart in the lineup. But at this point he's basically the only physical presence on defense. Ericsson and Salei will occasionally hit guys, but are generally a lot less physical than Stuart. And for the most part this season I guess Kronwall doesn't feel like hitting anymore.

Turnovers seem like they're way up too, from everybody. Homer has been a turnover machine, and last night Franzen picked up his slack. Some of it is bound to happen with newer guys in the lineup. But in general I feel like i've seen more turnovers even from our top line guys.

Add to that mediocre goaltending and it's no wonder GAA is up.

The NHL.com stats are showing the Wings with a 2.92 gaa which is 19th spot. The question is what do you say is the cause? An aging defence core? goaltending? Defence pairings? What do you think the problem is and why?

I think that it is overall team defence. There seems to be not enough players wanting to play at both ends of the ice. Costly turnovers on the breakout and even lack of heart some nights. Makes me wonder some nights if the Wings are a bit to comfortable and a small trade might shake things up a bit and give this team some hunger!

The good news is this team is scoring goals (most nights)

goaltending, and lack determination by everyone

Guest CaliWingsNut

I think these two are definitely part of it. Not that the Wings had it locked down defensively with Stuart in the lineup. But at this point he's basically the only physical presence on defense. Ericsson and Salei will occasionally hit guys, but are generally a lot less physical than Stuart. And for the most part this season I guess Kronwall doesn't feel like hitting anymore.

Turnovers seem like they're way up too, from everybody. Homer has been a turnover machine, and last night Franzen picked up his slack. Some of it is bound to happen with newer guys in the lineup. But in general I feel like i've seen more turnovers even from our top line guys.

Add to that mediocre goaltending and it's no wonder GAA is up.

Kronwall doesn't do a ton of hitting in the regular season.

I agree Stuart missing is a big part of our current issues.

Turnovers are much more likely to occur when players are given more freedom. Things like Homer tying people up in the crease, Stuart & Cleary taking players outta the play, Datsyuk keeping 2-3 players busy, etc greatly helps reduce them.

Guest Heaten

The solution to the problem is trade for a goalie. Wings are not going deep in the POs with Howard in net.

I think having the injuries they do doesn't help, but they were bad defensively before the injuries, so that's not the problem. Maybe this team has stopped listening to Babcock. I cannot believe he's telling the players they can make those stupid ass passes in their own zone on a regular basis. It just looks like they don't want to play fundamental hockey. I know it's fun and exciting to create plays like they do offensively, but when you go defense it has to be solid, basic, fundamental hockey. Otherwise you get beat by teams you should not get beat by.

I'm tired of watching this team get ran around on constantly, outhussled to the puck, out skated, manhandled physically, etc. They didn't used to get physically manhandled before. That's something relatively new. In the playoffs they threw their bodies around more than the opposition a lot of nights so I just don't buy it. It's a matter of effort and focus on defense to me.

The solution to the problem is trade for a goalie. Wings are not going deep in the POs with Howard in net.

I agree to some degree but I am not willing to throw Jimmy under the bus just yet. I just don't understand the idea of going after a goalie that you have no chance of getting(Nabby) and ending up messing around with the confidence of your already struggling goaltender. People on here think Snow is a dick for grabbing him well I would bet there were another dozen teams in line for him before the Wings.

I think that the Wings should go after a top 4 d-man to help take some of the load off of Lidstrom who seems to be playing his age as of late. I think he is looking tired and thats not how you want to go into playoffs.

I've always resisted the idea of trading someone like Kronwall or Stuart, because both have been "Red Wings" in my eyes, but honestly, the defensive core is just so terrible lately that we may need a fresh face, and certainly a new goalie.

Perhaps a trade to clear cap space for an additional goalie? Kronwall to a team in need of an offensive defenseman with a good goalie to spare? I don't know, I'd really rather not trade Stuart or Kronwall, they're both integral to this team, but we're not going to get anything for Ericsson or Kindl.

get bogosian from atlanta for hudler or ericsson and meech and a pick or something. do it. i'd love this move to make a younger d.

i wouldn't give up stuart or kronwall

miller, ericsson, meech to atlanta for bogosian. chance to unload.

Edited by dirtydangles

They start games like playing hockey is an after thought, like their head is totally somewhere else. Looks to be a lot of guys trying to play 15-20 minutes instead of 60 as well. Poor passing and decision making in a puck possession system is a really bad thing.

Watching the Wings "play" defence is frustrating. The wingers dont cover the points, they come down to the goal line more often then not. The defenceman dont cover the front of the net, they flow to where the puck is and get killed by the cycle. The centers do a pretty good job, but if they make a mistake it usually results in a goal in the net. Feast or famine defence doesnt work, and we pinch at the worst times. It doesnt work guys, why do it? I mean Jimmy wasnt good tonight, but it's not him everynight. The Wings gotta shore some things up, hustle a bit harder, and then we'll see some results. If not..

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan