• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Forsberg Joins Avalanche

Rate this topic

So just because he didn't play any games over in europe this year means that it's impossible to construe that Colorado was hiding him over there? The rule sucks, he should have to go through waivers just like Nabby. To me it's irrelevant if they actually played this year or not.

esteef

So just because he didn't play any games over in europe this year means that it's impossible to construe that Colorado was hiding him over there? The rule sucks, he should have to go through waivers just like Nabby. To me it's irrelevant if they actually played this year or not.

esteef

This is exactly how I feel about it, doesn't seem right.

esteef

So any unrestricted free agent who doesn't sign prior to the season should have to clear waivers? The 'PA would hate that.

So any unrestricted free agent who doesn't sign prior to the season should have to clear waivers? The 'PA would hate that.

Everyone seemed fine with it when it kept Nabby from going to Detroit. A "punishment" for not signing by season start if I remember correctly.

esteef

esteef

Why would Colorado want to hide a player and keep them from playing any competitive hockey?

The entire point is the rule is to prevent teams from hiding players in European leagues so they can keep them working out and in shape then bring them up later on.

It makes sense.

Everyone seemed fine with it when it kept Nabby from going to Detroit. A "punishment" for not signing by season start if I remember correctly.

esteef

Agree..

If you are not signed by a NHL team by say....the Christmas Trade freeze ( or some reasonable point in the season)

all players attempting to return should pass through re-entry waivers. or have no waivers at all and let the team that singed

the player keep them.

Why would Colorado want to hide a player and keep them from playing any competitive hockey?

The entire point is the rule is to prevent teams from hiding players in European leagues so they can keep them working out and in shape then bring them up later on.

It makes sense.

I'm not saying they did, but it certainly could look like they did. How do we know Forsturd hasn't been ramping his game up all year in europe just to come into the NHL right before the playoffs to help the Avs? Isn't THAT what the rule was supposed to prevent?

esteef

I'm not saying they did, but it certainly could look like they did. How do we know Forsturd hasn't been ramping his game up all year in europe just to come into the NHL right before the playoffs to help the Avs? Isn't THAT what the rule was supposed to prevent?

esteef

I don't see how he would be ramping his game up.

The advantage of keeping a player from playing in ANY league simply to hide them is nullified by the fact they aren't playing competitive hockey at any level even close to the NHL.

esteef

So the season starts, and you're one week in and you sign someone, he should have to go through waivers? That's a terrible idea.

I don't see how he would be ramping his game up.

The advantage of keeping a player from playing in ANY league simply to hide them is nullified by the fact they aren't playing competitive hockey at any level even close to the NHL.

Sure, because it's completely impossible to have training facilities for these players to stay in shape and be ready to play regardless if they play any games in a "league".

Just let european players sign with teams up to the trade deadline but cap it at 1 or 2 players a year per team. No waiver and their salary goes against the cap. Keep the waiver shiite in place for players going between the minors and the bigs though, Done.

This free pass through the waivers cause he didn't actually skate with a team is boools***.

esteef

I wonder why noone in the hockey media ever calls him out for only joining a team for the playoffs. Maybe they have but ive never seen it. All ill hear is Pierre Mcguire calling him a warrior for the next 2 months. It's like me letting a project get 90% done at work and showing up and taking credit for the whole thing. It's soooo incredibly lame and he's done it in multiple seasons. you suck FLOPPPPA!

esteef

That isn't what the rule is for.

The rule is so you can't sign a player you hid in another league, when you need them, circumvernting the CBA, thats what the minors are for.

Ofcourse you can sign a player that hasn't played at all for any team, and for them to have to clear waivers would be dumb.

Forsberg couldn't even play at the beginning of the year, or he would have played for Modo.

Ramping his game up, by playing non-professional games? Doubtful, but Forsberg's game may have been that low.

While i'm posting this, i'll update the contract:

1 yr, No Move Clause, 1 million+1million bonus according to CapGeek

And yet Forsturd will start playing immediately for the Avs after signing. How is this possible since he didn't play for a "league" in europe? Shouldn't he be out-of-shape by not playing in a european "league" all this time?

The waiver bs should just be gone all together for these situations, I'm just pointing out how stupid the rule is as written. Nabby and Forsturd are doing the exact same thing yet Nabby was forced to be exposed to waivers and Forsturd was/is not. Both players are looking to start playing immediately after re-joining the NHL, meaning they are both "game ready" regardless how many "league" games they may have played in europe (or not).

esteef

And yet Forsturd will start playing immediately for the Avs after signing. How is this possible since he didn't play for a "league" in europe? Shouldn't he be out-of-shape by not playing in a european "league" all this time?

The waiver bs should just be gone all together for these situations, I'm just pointing out how stupid the rule is as written. Nabby and Forsturd are doing the exact same thing yet Nabby was forced to be exposed to waivers and Forsturd was/is not. Both players are looking to start playing immediately after re-joining the NHL, meaning they are both "game ready" regardless how many "league" games they may have played in europe (or not).

esteef

Oh for f*** sake people get over the Nabokov thing.

Oh for f*** sake people get over the Nabokov thing.

Way to pay attention, I could f***in care less about Nabby, he was just the most recent example. To every other team it looks like the Avs just picked up an elite player who didn't have to go through waivers. Fair?

esteef