• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Forsberg Joins Avalanche

Rate this topic

Sorry, but I have NO love for that guy. If he had gone out properly....accepted that his career was over, and he couldn't do it anymore, fine. But for him to Favre it up for the last 8 or so years, I'm coming back, well, maybe, play 15 games here, 9 there, quit, come back, quit, wait 9 months then come back again, just give it up already.

You are so damn WRONG about everything you say.

Stuff like this:

And his last few stints in the NHL - 06-07 lasted a whole SEVENTEEN games with Nashville, where he had 15 points.

In 06-07 he also played 40 games for Philly.

He said himself in the press conference that if he knew that his foot wouldn't get fixed, he would have retired after the 02-03 season, when the problems started. But how was he to know that? How hard can it be to fix a foot.. the last season he was 100%, he won the Art Ross and Hart. "just give it up". LOL.

Ask Pat LaFontaine, Bobby Orr, Mark Tinordi, Keith Primeau, Eric Lindros, Mike Bossy, Cam Neely and Mario Lemieux what it feels like to have to give it up due to injury. All of them but Mario pretty much sucked it up and admitted that they had to hang it up and move on. And Mario gave it a damn good run once coming back.

This guy had been 7 years out of his prime and just needed to realize after comeback attempt 4 or 5 that it just wasn't going to happen for him. In 2008 he played 9 games. Missed 9 games injured. Modo last season, (08-09) 3 games. Just got to know when to say when.

Ok, feel free to continue your Forsberg man-love. I, like Peter, am out. But I might come back.

Edited by AtomicPunk

Guest Heaten

Forsberg and Bertuzzi were two players I really hated when in their primes because they dominated us. I would loved to have Forsberg on the Wings back in the late 90s.

I think the Divealanche organization is also to blame for this.

What the f*** were they thinking? They know this guy is fragile physically and would be a distraction to a team he never joined in training camp. There are harder working players in the minors who try to make it to the big leagues, while this drama queen gets a free pass mid season whenever he wants.

What in his recent history made them think this would work? Now they've got a pathetic joke on their hands and an explanation they owe to their fans.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I'm going with 1, Pretty funny. The guy with the bad ankles joins one of the fastest teams in the league. I think after he tries it for 1 game, he will realize that he is embarrassing himself. One and done...

I guess I was close - "Two and Done" not "One and Done"

Who is it really hurting for Forsberg to attempt a comeback? The Avalanche were fully aware this was "experimental" at best. Forsberg has never left the game due to a lack of motivation or desire to play; he has always been sidelined by injuries. At the end of the day, when he's 60 or 70 years old, he's going to be able to look at this 2-game comeback attempt and think, "I have absolutely no regrets," because he knows, without a shadow of a doubt, his body simply could not take it anymore, and he tried everything he could to continue playing the game he loves out of sheer desire to play. That's admirable in my opinion.

EDIT: In addition, each comeback attempt he made he made a real contribution to his team, and was well over a point-per-game from 2004 to 2010 (his injury-plagued seasons). Also in that time frame, he was a +47 - still a remarkable two-way player.

Edited by Yzerman191

Ironically the game Forsberg leaves the team they get blown out.

5-0 Calgary after 1 period.

So Avs fans buy tickets thinking they'll get to see Forsberg and the possible turn around of the club instead get treated to an abrupt Forsberg retirement and a 5-0 Calgary lead in the 1st period.

Who is it really hurting for Forsberg to attempt a comeback? The Avalanche were fully aware this was "experimental" at best. Forsberg has never left the game due to a lack of motivation or desire to play; he has always been sidelined by injuries. At the end of the day, when he's 60 or 70 years old, he's going to be able to look at this 2-game comeback attempt and think, "I have absolutely no regrets," because he knows, without a shadow of a doubt, his body simply could not take it anymore, and he tried everything he could to continue playing the game he loves out of sheer desire to play. That's admirable in my opinion.

Younger players who have to fight for roster spots.

It's not fair for a guy to just join a team mid season without even working for it. I know he was good for them 10 years ago, but that shouldn't concern this current team and give him privileges to act like he's above other players. Did he even inform them before the season that he may consider coming back?

It's just unprofessional from all parties. He should have made his intentions earlier or tried to join the team in training camp.

Younger players who have to fight for roster spots.

It's not fair for a guy to just join a team mid season without even working for it. I know he was good for them 10 years ago, but that shouldn't concern this current team and give him privileges to act like he's above other players. Did he even inform them before the season that he may consider coming back?

It's just unprofessional from all parties. He should have made his intentions earlier or tried to join the team in training camp.

The younger players will have their time. If Forsberg's comeback attempt had actually worked out, he would have been much more of an asset to the younger players than a detriment. On a young Colorado roster, veteran leadership is a valuable asset. Also, it was a fairly low risk deal: the Avalanche offer a relatively small contract to a veteran player who has, in recent years, continued to maintain above a point-per-game pace and excellent two-way ability. In doing so, they take away a roster spot from a guy who, in all actuality, probably wouldn't be playing in the NHL on many rosters throughout the league. Additionally, if the Avalanche didn't think he was potentially worth a roster spot over one of their rookies they wouldn't have offered him one.

The younger players will have their time. If Forsberg's comeback attempt had actually worked out, he would have been much more of an asset to the younger players than a detriment. On a young Colorado roster, veteran leadership is a valuable asset. Also, it was a fairly low risk deal: the Avalanche offer a relatively small contract to a veteran player who has, in recent years, continued to maintain above a point-per-game pace and excellent two-way ability. In doing so, they take away a roster spot from a guy who, in all actuality, probably wouldn't be playing in the NHL on many rosters throughout the league. Additionally, if the Avalanche didn't think he was potentially worth a roster spot over one of their rookies they wouldn't have offered him one.

Then this great leader should have joined the team in the offseason with the intention of playing a full year.

We saw this same crap with Selanne a few years ago, granted he was a member of the Ducks the previous year.

The NHL should find a way to crackdown on players joining teams like this mid season, instead of trying to crack down on brawls.