• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#41 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

You mean the "captain" that punches a guy in the nuts from behind while his teammate pounds the poor sumbitch in the head?

Crosby and his team have said they don't like Cooke when he does that stuff... They came out after the Savard hit and said that shouldn't be in the game.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#42 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

Grapes in his best form in that video.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#43 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

I would never want to see a player do something like that again. The first time was disgusting enough.

The first time was disgusting because Brashear didn't deserve it... Cooke on the other hand...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#44 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

After watching that Don Cherry video and at the end, where he says, "What happens when someone does this to Crosby?" Well....there you go.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#45 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

Good for Ovi for going after him! Dirty bastard.

#46 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

Someone hire Crazy Joe Divola to put the kibosh on Cooke.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

The definition of "repeat offender" can be found in the NHL Guide of Grey Area Terminology.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#48 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

I like the don cherry vid with him when he asked if he would have done that to Yzerman when probert was around. Well thats a big HELL NO!

#49 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

For all the s*** he has done I cannot think of a player that "accidentally" hurt him besides the fight.

#50 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nig2naN8NTs&feature=player_embedded

Damn. I agree with everything Cherry said here. :shocking: And did you see Crosby's face when the other guy was talking to him? Fascinating....

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#51 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Damn. I agree with everything Cherry said here. :shocking:

yeah, i tuned in expecting a bill o'reilly type drivel supporting a north american person for doing something disgraceful, but shaming a non-north american person for doing something completely similar.
Posted Image

#52 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

I like the don cherry vid with him when he asked if he would have done that to Yzerman when probert was around. Well thats a big HELL NO!

I've always liked him, but liked him even more after he nearly completed his "gutless backstabbing little f*ck" sentence while on air. That would have been epic, and I would have donated money to pay for the fine he would have received.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 07 February 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#53 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

I would never want to see a player do something like that again. The first time was disgusting enough.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but not here.

If anyone deserves that s***, its Cooke. Dude is a scumbag piece of s*** that does nothing other than try to injure and end other players careers. I'd personally love to see him get it. Paybacks a *****.

#54 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

I just emailed the NHL officials association and tried to email the Players Association too. The players' one didn't go through but the Officials' one did. I had to confirm I sent it by replying to their standard response email. Ya know you can't do much but that is something we could do. Probably a voice in the wilderness but I'm still glad I did it.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but not here.

If anyone deserves that s***, its Cooke. Dude is a scumbag piece of s*** that does nothing other than try to injure and end other players careers. I'd personally love to see him get it. Paybacks a *****.

Look at it this way. As bad as McSorley's hit was, he was a player out of control. I cannot imagine ANY player who is not insane, premeditatively going after another player - even Cooke - with that kind of malice aforethought. HE would have to be kicked out of the game.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#55 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

I go back and forth on Don Cherry thinking he is hilarious/entertaining at times then there are some WTF moments whenever I hear him infrequently, but I give him major kudos for this piece on Matt Cooke.

I don't like getting outspoken on players, there aren't many that I really just dislike, but Matt Cooke has completely jumped near the top of the list in lightning fashion this year. He's scum. And I don't say that about a lot of players.

#56 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

Not a fan of Don Cherry, but that was perfect. His passion, his concern, and his points were all spot-on. Cooke is a dangerous player. I can't believe one of the VS announcers tonight said he was a "big Cooke fan." Even Sidney "I'll Cry/Whine/Dive/Cheat/Do Whatever It Takes" Crosby won't defend Cooke, his own teammate.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#57 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

Not a fan of Don Cherry, but that was perfect. His passion, his concern, and his points were all spot-on. Cooke is a dangerous player. I can't believe one of the VS announcers tonight said he was a "big Cooke fan." Even Sidney "I'll Cry/Whine/Dive/Cheat/Do Whatever It Takes" Crosby won't defend Cooke, his own teammate.

IIRC, both Pierre and Milbury said they were big Cooke fans. <_<

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#58 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:46 AM

So has Cooke been suspended for either the Savard or the Ovechkin hit?

Unbelievable montage in the Cherry video though, so many elbows to the side of the head and knee-on-knees :scared:
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#59 howeaboutthat

howeaboutthat

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

As has been said, in the era of Probert/Kocur et al this sort of thing was self-policing. You played dirty then you watched your back because a train would be coming for you.

Unfortunately the modern game is in many ways faster and as a result teams can't carry an all-out enforcer but this should really be where those numpties in Toronto are stepping in. Toronto needs to be picking up where the enforcers left off but as we've seen, Toronto can't even make accurate calls on the simple matter of goals/non-goals, let alone calling out players for being dirty.

The NHL is at a tipping point and it nees to decide which way it wants to go. Throw the instigator rule and allow teams, if they so wish, to police the ice themselves or start making decisions to stop players like Cooke attempting to end other players careers?

#60 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

Matt Cooke is a repeat offender. He should be dealt with in appropriate fashion. I know it won't happen, but I just wonder how long it's going to take, or how many guys he puts out of the game with injuries before someone realizes this.

I don't believe in head hunting, but in his case, I would make an exception.
Posted Image