• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:29 AM

Since the early 80's we fans have seen the game change quite a bit...Watching old footage I forgot how much hooking, clutching, and interferance took place in those days - however there was a limit (unlike the clutch & grabbing we had seen from the mid 90's until the lockout), and the ref then made the call, but for the most part he let the players play.

Today we have "zero tolerance" on hooking/holding/obstruction, but we all know this policy has it's faults.

What era do you guys/gals favor?

Edited by F.Michael, 07 February 2011 - 03:34 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#2 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:47 AM

The 80's.

For whatever reason, the clutching and grabbing wasn't (or didn't seem) as blatantly obvious as it became during the 1995-2004 era. You didn't seem to have a bunch of guys who would just latch their sticks onto another player, and literally be ferried down the ice (which, as we know, was a huge problem during the Dead Puck era).

Maybe I'm biased (I do love 80's hockey, for a number of reasons), but I thought the officiating seemed more balanced then than it does now. You had clutching, hooking, and all that jazz... but it wasn't as over the top as the late 90's/early 00's was, nor was it as overly strict as the game has become post-lockout.

#3 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:03 AM

The 80's.

For whatever reason, the clutching and grabbing wasn't (or didn't seem) as blatantly obvious as it became during the 1995-2004 era. You didn't seem to have a bunch of guys who would just latch their sticks onto another player, and literally be ferried down the ice (which, as we know, was a huge problem during the Dead Puck era).

Maybe I'm biased (I do love 80's hockey, for a number of reasons), but I thought the officiating seemed more balanced then than it does now. You had clutching, hooking, and all that jazz... but it wasn't as over the top as the late 90's/early 00's was, nor was it as overly strict as the game has become post-lockout.

Agreed.

It was refreshing watching footage from the 80's/early 90's; Euro skill was making it's debut on a grand scale, and yet there was the right amount of N.American physicality in the mix...Some tugs with the stick here & there, a little grab, tying up opponents along the boards, but nothing like what became the norm in the dead puck era (more or less tackle football on ice)...Players were fighting their way thru the opposition, and when it became obvious - the 1 ref made the call.

IMO the only thing consistent with today's game is the inconsitency of the officiating, and apparent disrespect amongst some of the players.

#4 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

Any era is better than this one. The NHL is almost unwatchable under the current system. I voted 80's.

Edited by Broken 16, 07 February 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#5 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

I chose mid-90s through 2004.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#6 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

I only started watching hockey in the mid-90s so it wouldn't be fair to say 80s or earlier for me.

I like the post-lockout style of play, it's fairly open for the most part but you still see your fair share of 3-2, 2-1 games without clutching/grabbing or basically just bear hugging somebody right after they cross the blue line to try to attack.

I like the play in general, hate the inconsistent officiating in general and just a few rules here/there. The rules more/less make the officiating so inconsistent. Get rid of the intent to blow the whistle. So terrible and there's just too much grey area. Simply re-phrase it to either I blew my whistle in time before the puck crossed the goal line, meaning no goal. Or, I didn't blow it in time, meaning that the goal counts. Simple, there's no grey area, it's basically a yes/no answer.

And I can live with a referee saying they lost sight of a puck resulting in a play dead. Yes, it sucks when it means a no goal (i.e. Hossa goal when he was a Wing in the playoffs late in that game against Anaheim which would've forced overtime), but it's impossible to discipline or determine how long a referee should wait until they blow their whistle, and so forth. I'm not going to lose sleep or be frothing at the mouth in anger all night over that.

Unfortuantely, some of these rules that annoy the hell out of me won't change anytime soon probably.

#7 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

I gotta say that so far I'm surprised by the results, but that's cool...Interesting to see others opinions.

#8 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:32 AM

Zero-tolerance. You can clearly see that skilled players have risen up and smaller players too. I think hockey is more about puck-handling than fighting and hitting. After all, the outside pond games are where it all starts/started.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#9 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

I started watching hockey back in 1995. I watched a few classic games, but I really cannot say that I like the 80's style of hockey because I haven't seen enough of it. I prefer the post lockout hockey over the clutching and grabbing hockey in the mid 90s-2004.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#10 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

I think with a few tweaks the current game would be the best. It takes much more effort to win games, and requires a much tighter defensive game. There are plenty of things I like about the game of old, but the skill and the effort aren't necessarily those. The game in the 80's was much lazier and the goaltending was awful. The fighting and toughness were fun to watch though. If we could get rid of the trapezoid, the instigator, and get rid of the goal line>far blue line one touch dump-in/breakout then that would make a change for the better.

works every time

#11 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

I only started watching hockey in the mid-90s so it wouldn't be fair to say 80s or earlier for me.

I like the post-lockout style of play, it's fairly open for the most part but you still see your fair share of 3-2, 2-1 games without clutching/grabbing or basically just bear hugging somebody right after they cross the blue line to try to attack.

I like the play in general, hate the inconsistent officiating in general and just a few rules here/there. The rules more/less make the officiating so inconsistent. Get rid of the intent to blow the whistle. So terrible and there's just too much grey area. Simply re-phrase it to either I blew my whistle in time before the puck crossed the goal line, meaning no goal. Or, I didn't blow it in time, meaning that the goal counts. Simple, there's no grey area, it's basically a yes/no answer.

And I can live with a referee saying they lost sight of a puck resulting in a play dead. Yes, it sucks when it means a no goal (i.e. Hossa goal when he was a Wing in the playoffs late in that game against Anaheim which would've forced overtime), but it's impossible to discipline or determine how long a referee should wait until they blow their whistle, and so forth. I'm not going to lose sleep or be frothing at the mouth in anger all night over that.

Unfortuantely, some of these rules that annoy the hell out of me won't change anytime soon probably.

Tend to agree. With a few tweaks, the current system would be the best. Simple s***. Call dives for starters. The players don't seem to have a problem embarrassing the refs, have the refs embarrass the players for a while. In fact, if I were reffing a game, I'd call dives and skate over and announce them over the loud speaker. This would fix 75% of the current issues imo.

If they really want to drive the point home, they can have dives reviewable at the ref's discretion. :ph34r:

Edited by Broken 16, 07 February 2011 - 10:06 AM.

#12 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

I think with a few tweaks the current game would be the best. It takes much more effort to win games, and requires a much tighter defensive game. There are plenty of things I like about the game of old, but the skill and the effort aren't necessarily those. The game in the 80's was much lazier and the goaltending was awful. The fighting and toughness were fun to watch though. If we could get rid of the trapezoid, the instigator, and get rid of the goal line>far blue line one touch dump-in/breakout then that would make a change for the better.

Some good ideas here.

Is it me, or does anyone else feel the clutch/grab eras saw less # of head injuries due to the game being slowed down a bit?...I honestly feel the speed of the game today (and less obstruction) has played a partial role with the increase of injuries; am I alone on this one?

#13 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

As a wings fan the mid 90s were great to watch, as a hockey fan it probably has to be the 80s that was the best brand of hockey.

Todays NHL has way too inconsistent officiating for me, it gets frustrating watching a really fast paced, good hockey game that is all of a sudden full of power plays and penalty kills. Special teams should not be the most important part of a hockey game, but some games it is and I dont think that is right

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#14 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

Dead on.

Some good ideas here.

Is it me, or does anyone else feel the clutch/grab eras saw less # of head injuries due to the game being slowed down a bit?...I honestly feel the speed of the game today (and less obstruction) has played a partial role with the increase of injuries; am I alone on this one?

Possibly, although I think the lack of respect in today's game is a bigger cause...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#15 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

I voted 80s, though honestly it might have as much to do with the place in my life as the state of the game. You never love a game more than when you watch it as a kid. You also never has much free time!

But overall the game was more offensively minded and still remained physical. I don't remember as much wild inconsistency in the officiating, but honestly the advent of youtube and internet forums create this hyperanalysis of every call, so maybe it was as bad.

I do agree though that the lack of respect among players has gotten worse.

And I'd take todays game over the clutch and grab era. It got boring watching all these skill players basically get tackled every time they make a play. It'd be depressing to watch Datsyuk try and play during that style. Stickhandling around players only to get hooked and grabbed by them.

Consistency in officiating and consistency in suspending players would go a long way in improving the game.

Some good ideas here.

Honestly I think that has played a part, the game is a lot faster and more wide open, but the lack of respect is an issue too. I'm trying to think of a Matt Cooke like player from that era. There were always guys who were agitators/dirty players, but I don't remember them involving headshots so often.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 07 February 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#16 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

Wasn't around for the 80s so I would say the mid 90s when I started getting really into the game.

Gotta say I would rather the clutch and grab era never come back. Watching the 2002 cup finals I could no believe how much holding there was.

Regarding concussions: I may be mistaken but the understanding of the injury wasn't as high as it is now. Also the game WAS slower and the players were not as big as they are today. I don't think lack of respect has anything to do with it. There were Cookes in the NHL before the lockout, and significantly dirtier play as well.

If anything I think players feel more or less invincible when going to make a hit, so more often than not they are going to take the risk on a hit that would have the potential to seriously injure them in another era.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 07 February 2011 - 10:50 AM.

Posted Image

#17 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

Wasn't around for the 80s so I would say the mid 90s when I started getting really into the game.

Gotta say I would rather the clutch and grab era never come back. Watching the 2002 cup finals I could no believe how much holding there was.

Regarding concussions: I may be mistaken but the understanding of the injury wasn't as high as it is now. Also the game WAS slower and the players were not as big as they are today. I don't think lack of respect has anything to do with it. There were Cookes in the NHL before the lockout, and significantly dirtier play as well.

If anything I think players feel more or less invincible when going to make a hit, so more often than not they are going to take the risk on a hit that would have the potential to seriously injure them in another era.

I also believe the advancements in player equipment has elevated the potential for serious injury..."Old School" shoulder/elbow pads were flimsy strips of thin padding when compared to what the players have today, and the damage they can inflict must be taken into consideration.

Edited by F.Michael, 07 February 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#18 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

My favorite era isn't in the poll - late 60s, 70s, when men were men and referees were silent. I didn't watch a lot in the 80s, partially because I worked nights and then because I lived in California - kind of a hockey wasteland until the Sharks showed up. (And it didn't improve a whole lot even then!)
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#19 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

My favorite era isn't in the poll - late 60s, 70s, when men were men and referees were silent. I didn't watch a lot in the 80s, partially because I worked nights and then because I lived in California - kind of a hockey wasteland until the Sharks showed up. (And it didn't improve a whole lot even then!)

...and helmets optional ;)

#20 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

It's all too easy to wax nostalgic and forget all the crappy things about the good old days. People may pine for the days of frontier life when things were simple and people were honest but they probably wouldn't like dieing of dysentry and having half their kids die of preventable disease before the age of 18.

The 80's were cool but hockey was terribly one-dimensional. Goalies sucked, defensemen were just forwards who lined up outside the face-off circle and games were a race to 7 goals.

There's something to be said for the sublime defensive skill of a guy like Lidstrom who plays all the angles and frustrates opposing forwards with his brain instead of a thundering check. It's great that we get to watch guys like Stuart and Kronwall lay out the opposition while Lidstrom plays the game like a chess master.

Edited by Drake_Marcus, 07 February 2011 - 12:36 PM.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft