• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wingzman91

Trade Deadline and You are GM.

Rate this topic

I wouldn't mind getting a defensive defensman who plays with some snarl, PKs the first unit and can eat up 10 minutes a night. They don't usually cost more than a 5th round draft pick.

We have the 3rd highest scoring forward units, so they are fine.

A back up goalie would be nice too, they wouldn't cost more than a 4th to 6th round pick.

I've heard/read Kris Versteeg could very well be on his way outta T.O. (as well the usual rumours about Kaberle).

Anyone here think either one would look good in the Winged Wheel?

I was thinking this when I posted, Versteeg is being thrown around alot too.

I just dont think Burke will part with him.

I approve though.

I was thinking this when I posted, Versteeg is being thrown around alot too.

I just dont think Burke will part with him.

I approve though.

I don't know...I remember hearing that Burke got an offer for Versteeg and because it was pretty good he starting shopping him. Versteeg is pretty good but Burke expects overpayment for his players. Personally, I dont think we need him regardless of the price. Either way, it would take too much for us to pry him out of Toronto even if other teams werent interested in him.

I think we would want defensive depth and/or goaltending depth. I don't see the need to add to our forward group at the expense of dishing out assets (be that picks, prospects or otherwise)

About the only thing Holland will attempt to get is a goalie. With all the injured players coming back, he won't need to trade for a forward. Someone earlier said that Florida wouldn't take our depth players and a one dimensional Hudler, well they would if they also got a prospect they wanted. Holland could trade that prospect and demand that someone like Hudler be included in the deal too as a salary dump, Hudler may do good in Florida (:hysterical:) but I would like to see Holland get Vokoun for the Cup run, it's just shedding the salary to make room for him. Trade Hudler, prospect & draft pick, put Osgood on LTIR and he may have room for Vokoun's salary. Then again, Holland may just stick with Howard/Osgood in order to trade for the very cheap Nabokov over the summer... but there's my thought on a trade deadline deal...

edit: Nevermind, Vokoun makes $5.7M, there's no way to acquire that much salary... so oh well...

If it's true Versteeg may be up for grabs, Holland could dump Hudler, prospect, draft pick to Toronto... Better be a hot prospect, because who the hell wants Hudler?

Edited by LeftWinger

If i know Holland...and i most certainly dont. I believe the wings will be picking up Brad Stewart, Tomas Holmstrom, Mike Modano, and Chris Osgood from Team Injury and those will be our "trades".

This is exactly what I think will happen.

The trades I suggested are just what I would do.

If anyone, who would you pick up?

This is exactly what I think will happen.

The trades I suggested are just what I would do.

If anyone, who would you pick up?

they'd never do it but id give up a hudler AND a filppula for a dustin brown. i always though.

Id do filppula for martin hanzal any day of the week.

Edited by Rick Zombos Ghost

that's like trading a young hudler for an old hudler

Samsonov would be sick as a wing. He's the same size as huds, but has some speed and skills. I'm just saying its an small tweak upgrade for a cup run. not to mention he could have some russian chemistry with dats.

Obviously we need a goalie, but this is something small i thought of.

Trade Flip and Hudler for two enforcers and a physical defensive defenseman who fights. :thumbup:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Cleary - Franzen - Bertuzzi

Abdelkalder - Helm - Eaves

Enforcer - Draper - Enforcer

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericsson - Physical Defensive Defenseman Who Fights

Edited by GMRwings1983

Detroit's current issues are:

Defense isn't playing physical enough

Poor defensive play in general

Inconsistent and unreliable goaltending

Other things to be aware of are:

Nicklas Lidstrom may be retiring after the season.

Detroit is extremely deep in terms of skilled forward prospects.

My solution as a fantasy GM:

Trade Stuart, a prospect forward, and a 2nd rounder to Philly for Meszaros.

Trade a late pick to Tampa for Mike Smith.

Fire Brad McCrimmon.

If Lidstrom retires in the offseason, use that money to sign Joni Pitkanen.

Fire Brad McCrimmon.

Smith was just on waivers we could have had him for nothing.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/03/lightning-goalie-mike-smith-clears-waivers-next-destination-ahl/

nothing is going to happen

wings have too many players when they are fully health

salei isnt going s*** place neither is any of the other defense men

howard wont go anywhere

big off season though if draper modano lids and ozzie may retire.

Fire Brad McCrimmon.

How does that work?

I'll say get some depth of the back end for a pick.

You know this isn't the NBA and 2nd round picks are actually worth something in the NHL right?

Stuart for Mesz is a lateral move at best, so you're basically throwing away a prospect and a high pick while also adding $250k in salary.

I would venture to say the physicality of our defensemen isn't losing us games. They are physical enough. I'm more concerned with the frequent inability to make basic plays, or poorly thought out passes. And the pinching.

Honestly, we probably do need a trade on defense, just for a fresh face. This crew has been around for a while, and they've only gotten worse as far as team-defense is concerned. Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, these guys are great defensemen but we may need more. Ideally we could find someone to replace Ericsson temporarily. Overall he's been good but he's not really contributing much of anything. He's not a liability (except for tonight, of course) but we apparently need someone to put us over the top on defense.

You know this isn't the NBA and 2nd round picks are actually worth something in the NHL right?

Stuart for Mesz is a lateral move at best, so you're basically throwing away a prospect and a high pick while also adding $250k in salary.

You realize Meszaros is better defensively and more physical than Stuart, while being six years younger? Furthermore, Stuart is signed through next season, while Meszaros has two seasons more on top of that.

Meszaros>Stuart.

I didn't say it had to be a Tatar or Pulkkinen; but Philly won't just give up Mesz for Stuart.

Trading for a quality mid-20s shutdown defenseman isn't free.

You realize Meszaros is better defensively and more physical than Stuart, while being six years younger? Furthermore, Stuart is signed through next season, while Meszaros has two seasons more on top of that.

Meszaros>Stuart.

You realize that, for the most part, Stuart's been extremely solid for us in the last few playoffs? Sure, Meszaros is younger--but the times I've seen him play, he looks unsure and prone to mistakes (and please, don't bring up Stuart's Game 7 vs Pittsburgh; that was one game).

Why trade a proven guy who works in our system for one who's severely overpaid for 3 more years. Besides, Philly and Detroit are doing too well to make a shake-up trade like this. Also, Stuart might be injured past the deadline.

I didn't say it had to be a Tatar or Pulkkinen; but Philly won't just give up Mesz for Stuart.

Trading for a quality mid-20s shutdown defenseman isn't free.

It only took a second round pick to convince Yzerman to dump his bloated salary. If we're going to give up a veteran player like Stuart, a 2nd and a good prospect, it should at least be for a better player.

Why are people involving Meech in trades? Nobody wants him.

Meech is better than third pairing defensemen on some NHL teams. He's not a star, but he's an NHL-level player who has been buried in Detroit's system. I would not be shocked at all to see a team like Calgary or Toronto go after a guy like Meech in the offseason. Meech played a few years in Red Deer for current Flames coach Brent Sutter, and he made up a dominant pairing there with Dion Phaneuf. A speedy #4-6 defenseman like Meech capable of playing the power play who is defensively aware would help Toronto out, and might be a good fit in Calgary opposite Bouwmeester to provide a particularly speedy pair.

But the fact that Meech's contract ends after the season, and he has played zero games this season, means he has low trade value and the only reason to include him in a trade is if he specifically is the player going to that destination (such as Calgary to play for Sutter as noted earlier) but that would be like a "Meech for a 3rd rounder" or something deal, unless he were included in a larger deal; and there's not really an obvious deal that helps the Wings from the teams that I mentioned, so there you go.