• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

Detroit's current issues are:

Defense isn't playing physical enough

Poor defensive play in general

Inconsistent and unreliable goaltending

Other things to be aware of are:

Nicklas Lidstrom may be retiring after the season.

Detroit is extremely deep in terms of skilled forward prospects.

My solution as a fantasy GM:

Trade Stuart, a prospect forward, and a 2nd rounder to Philly for Meszaros.

Trade a late pick to Tampa for Mike Smith.

Fire Brad McCrimmon.

If Lidstrom retires in the offseason, use that money to sign Joni Pitkanen.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

hudler, emmerton and a 2nd rounder for chris phillips. if that doesn't work, then do nothing.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#43 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

Fire Brad McCrimmon.

Smith was just on waivers we could have had him for nothing.

http://prohockeytalk...estination-ahl/

Posted Image

#44 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

nothing is going to happen
wings have too many players when they are fully health
salei isnt going s*** place neither is any of the other defense men
howard wont go anywhere

big off season though if draper modano lids and ozzie may retire.

#45 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

Fire Brad McCrimmon.

How does that work?

I'll say get some depth of the back end for a pick.

Posted Image

#46 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

You know this isn't the NBA and 2nd round picks are actually worth something in the NHL right?

Stuart for Mesz is a lateral move at best, so you're basically throwing away a prospect and a high pick while also adding $250k in salary.

#47 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Get Chris Phillips. Inquire about a guy like Prust, and work for the phones looking for a backup goalie that can be had for cheap.

#NOMOREKINDL

#48 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

Why are people involving Meech in trades? Nobody wants him.

#49 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

I would venture to say the physicality of our defensemen isn't losing us games. They are physical enough. I'm more concerned with the frequent inability to make basic plays, or poorly thought out passes. And the pinching.

Honestly, we probably do need a trade on defense, just for a fresh face. This crew has been around for a while, and they've only gotten worse as far as team-defense is concerned. Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, these guys are great defensemen but we may need more. Ideally we could find someone to replace Ericsson temporarily. Overall he's been good but he's not really contributing much of anything. He's not a liability (except for tonight, of course) but we apparently need someone to put us over the top on defense.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#50 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:45 AM

You know this isn't the NBA and 2nd round picks are actually worth something in the NHL right?

Stuart for Mesz is a lateral move at best, so you're basically throwing away a prospect and a high pick while also adding $250k in salary.

You realize Meszaros is better defensively and more physical than Stuart, while being six years younger? Furthermore, Stuart is signed through next season, while Meszaros has two seasons more on top of that.

Meszaros>Stuart.

I didn't say it had to be a Tatar or Pulkkinen; but Philly won't just give up Mesz for Stuart.

Trading for a quality mid-20s shutdown defenseman isn't free.

#51 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:06 AM

You realize Meszaros is better defensively and more physical than Stuart, while being six years younger? Furthermore, Stuart is signed through next season, while Meszaros has two seasons more on top of that.

Meszaros>Stuart.

You realize that, for the most part, Stuart's been extremely solid for us in the last few playoffs? Sure, Meszaros is younger--but the times I've seen him play, he looks unsure and prone to mistakes (and please, don't bring up Stuart's Game 7 vs Pittsburgh; that was one game).

Why trade a proven guy who works in our system for one who's severely overpaid for 3 more years. Besides, Philly and Detroit are doing too well to make a shake-up trade like this. Also, Stuart might be injured past the deadline.

I didn't say it had to be a Tatar or Pulkkinen; but Philly won't just give up Mesz for Stuart.

Trading for a quality mid-20s shutdown defenseman isn't free.

It only took a second round pick to convince Yzerman to dump his bloated salary. If we're going to give up a veteran player like Stuart, a 2nd and a good prospect, it should at least be for a better player.

#52 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:06 AM

you are crazy Meech=Paul Coffey

Edited by Rick Zombos Ghost, 08 February 2011 - 01:06 AM.

#53 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

Meech is better than third pairing defensemen on some NHL teams. He's not a star, but he's an NHL-level player who has been buried in Detroit's system. I would not be shocked at all to see a team like Calgary or Toronto go after a guy like Meech in the offseason. Meech played a few years in Red Deer for current Flames coach Brent Sutter, and he made up a dominant pairing there with Dion Phaneuf. A speedy #4-6 defenseman like Meech capable of playing the power play who is defensively aware would help Toronto out, and might be a good fit in Calgary opposite Bouwmeester to provide a particularly speedy pair.

But the fact that Meech's contract ends after the season, and he has played zero games this season, means he has low trade value and the only reason to include him in a trade is if he specifically is the player going to that destination (such as Calgary to play for Sutter as noted earlier) but that would be like a "Meech for a 3rd rounder" or something deal, unless he were included in a larger deal; and there's not really an obvious deal that helps the Wings from the teams that I mentioned, so there you go.

#54 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

Wow... terribad choices in my honest opinion. Smith's a waiver goalie at this point and Meszaros for Stuart is a lateral move made at an extremely high cost (prospect + high pick). Stuart has established chemistry with the team and we know he 'works' for the Wings.

Meech is better than third pairing defensemen on some NHL teams. He's not a star, but he's an NHL-level player who has been buried in Detroit's system. I would not be shocked at all to see a team like Calgary or Toronto go after a guy like Meech in the offseason. Meech played a few years in Red Deer for current Flames coach Brent Sutter, and he made up a dominant pairing there with Dion Phaneuf. A speedy #4-6 defenseman like Meech capable of playing the power play who is defensively aware would help Toronto out, and might be a good fit in Calgary opposite Bouwmeester to provide a particularly speedy pair.

But the fact that Meech's contract ends after the season, and he has played zero games this season, means he has low trade value and the only reason to include him in a trade is if he specifically is the player going to that destination (such as Calgary to play for Sutter as noted earlier) but that would be like a "Meech for a 3rd rounder" or something deal, unless he were included in a larger deal; and there's not really an obvious deal that helps the Wings from the teams that I mentioned, so there you go.

The entire league's had multiple shots at Meech via waivers. What's changed since then other than his getting older?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#55 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:38 AM

You realize that, for the most part, Stuart's been extremely solid for us in the last few playoffs? Sure, Meszaros is younger--but the times I've seen him play, he looks unsure and prone to mistakes (and please, don't bring up Stuart's Game 7 vs Pittsburgh; that was one game).

Why trade a proven guy who works in our system for one who's severely overpaid for 3 more years. Besides, Philly and Detroit are doing too well to make a shake-up trade like this. Also, Stuart might be injured past the deadline.

It only took a second round pick to convince Yzerman to dump his bloated salary. If we're going to give up a veteran player like Stuart, a 2nd and a good prospect, it should at least be for a better player.

Stuart has not consistently played well defensively since 2008-09. He looked good to start the year playing with Nick, and had big point numbers, but his defense was still ultimately not that good. He's a physical force, which you can't say for Rafalski, but Stuart needs to shape up because he has not looked good. His big point numbers at the start of the year have hidden the fact that this is probably his worst defensive season since he was a Shark.

Right now, if the Wings need to put that shut-down guy on somebody, they have Lidstrom. That's it. Swapping for Meszaros would bring a second option for that role. And as it stands right now, Meszaros has been considerably more productive offensively as well.

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Meszaros, Rafalski, Ericsson, Salei as the top six. Uh oh, there's no Canadians, we're doomed to get beaten up and outplayed!

If Nick retires from that group, and Salei doesn't return, sign Joni Pitkanen and move Kindl into the top six.

Kronwall, Pitkanen, Meszaros, Rafalski, Ericsson, Kindl.
If we can get Ericsson and Kindl playing more like Meszaros and Pitkanen, we're all set.

#56 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

I would trade for Hossa

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#57 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

Nobody? I know alot of teams would take him and his low cap hit vs the rookies they have playing.
Anyway, Meech is off the table, he has to clear reentry waivers, so he would get claimed, have to trade in the offseason.

#58 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

I wouldn't deal for anyone but a #6 defenceman, and I wouldn't give up anyone on the roster for this player unless his initials are "Ruslan Salei". Once healthy, the Wings are a solid, Stanley Cup competitive team.

I would trade for Hossa

Too high of a cap hit, and too much term for the Wings to...

Oh, I see what you did there.

#59 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

Nobody? I know alot of teams would take him and his low cap hit vs the rookies they have playing.
Anyway, Meech is off the table, he has to clear reentry waivers, so he would get claimed, have to trade in the offseason.

Hasnt Meech been on waivers more than once before? Seriously, through waivers or trade I'm sure most teams have had their chance and passed. I'd argue most teams wouldn't trade a 5th for him.

#60 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

Stuart has not consistently played well defensively since 2008-09. He looked good to start the year playing with Nick, and had big point numbers, but his defense was still ultimately not that good. He's a physical force, which you can't say for Rafalski, but Stuart needs to shape up because he has not looked good. His big point numbers at the start of the year have hidden the fact that this is probably his worst defensive season since he was a Shark.

Right now, if the Wings need to put that shut-down guy on somebody, they have Lidstrom. That's it. Swapping for Meszaros would bring a second option for that role. And as it stands right now, Meszaros has been considerably more productive offensively as well.

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Meszaros, Rafalski, Ericsson, Salei as the top six. Uh oh, there's no Canadians, we're doomed to get beaten up and outplayed!

If Nick retires from that group, and Salei doesn't return, sign Joni Pitkanen and move Kindl into the top six.

Kronwall, Pitkanen, Meszaros, Rafalski, Ericsson, Kindl.
If we can get Ericsson and Kindl playing more like Meszaros and Pitkanen, we're all set.

I agree with the people who didn't agree with this Meszaros thing. You are nitpicking at Stuart, who some say was one of our best and most consistant players last year ('09-'10!) to support overtrading for a suppossedly little bit better defenseman with a longer deal at big money. The guy above said it best, Yzerman got a 2nd for him. That's essentially what he's worth in the NHL. Basically the same that I'd imagine Stuart would be worth if you traded him today. If Stuart wasn't considered somewhat of a shutdown defenseman (which apparently you only think Nick is) he wouldn't be a very valuable considering the way he plays. Stuart is a gamer and he chose Detroit over a strong desire to stay in Cali with his family. He's dedicated and a true Wing. I bet if you proposed that deal to Kenny he shoot it down immediatly.

Edited by achildr1, 08 February 2011 - 04:14 PM.