• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mjlegend

Souray too slow for Rangers

Rate this topic

Slats and Tambi won't be dealing for the ex-NHL star Sheldon Souray.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/02/07/souray_scouts_rangers/

If he were in the NHL, Souray would be a $5.4 million cap hit with one year left after this one. Slow defenceman, gets hurt in AHL fights, giant cap hit... wonder if Brian Burke would be sniffing around if it was any other team but Kevin Lowe's?

Souray's NHL career may be over. He turns 35 in July, and there's no way he's worth $5.4 million a year. Sure, he's still got a hell of a shot, but if you can't keep up with the speed of the AHL game, there's no way in hell you're gonna be able to keep up with the speed at which the game is played in the NHL.

There should be a rule allowing teams to buy players out in the final year of their deal, during like a one week period before FA starts, where the team is responsible for 100% of the players salary monetarily, but none of the caphit... this way, teams can't use it as an "out clause" for longer contracts, but at least in the final year of the deal, the teams gets rid of the player (while still paying them) and they have a chance to actually go out and try and find another job at the NHL level, rather than being sent to AHL purgatory where their career ends...

I think we can all agree that Souray isn't worth 1/5th of that contract, but I'd gladly take a chance on him here at like a 750k cap hit...

Guest CaliWingsNut

somebody must have told him the new york islander scouts were in the audience.

they pay for scouts?

I don't think anyone is going to trade for him, because he would have to clear re-entry waivers. I would take him at half the cost for sure, so if someone was to trade for him I would just swoop in and take him.

I bet that the Rangers would do that if the chance afforded itself.