• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Which active goalie would you select to start a franchise?

Rate this topic

very interesting and thought provoking comments...some reactions I've had:

#1) M. Fleury/C. Ward: The question I have for the board in regards to this argument (and I agree with all the comments made on both thus far) is this - why did Yzerman/Bowman/Holland and co. chose M. Fleury to be Canada's third goalie (and their goalie of the future, essentially) when he's only months younger than Cam?

#2) H. Lundqvist: I'm surprised that there's been such little interest expressed in Lundqvist. He was voted as the 4th toughest goalie to score on in the league by the players (behind Thomas(34), Luongo(31) and Miller(30)), and at 28, he probably still has about seven good years left...and, he's Sweedish.

#3) I. Bryzgalov: I don't really get why there's so much interest in the 30 year old Bryzgalov. If age isn't a major concern for you, why not just go with a 31 year old Luongo, a 30 year old Miller, or a 28 year old Lundqvist?

J. Quick - I can't disagree with anyone that wants him; he's had a great last year and a half, and he's very young.

P. Rinne - He's probably been the best goalie in the league thus far this season, and he's young, but it's just one half of a regular season...I'll wait and see there.

C. Price - He's having a great season thus far as well, and he's very young, but he was a backup just last season...I'll wait and see there as well.

T. Rask - He had a great season last year, but he's a backup now (granted he's backing up the best goalie in the league statisticly)...so I'll have to wait and see there also.

S. Varlamov - Honestly, I don't really understand what he's done thus far to even be a part of this discussion.

Even though I said I wasn't going to take the salary cap into account, you know that Lundqvist is going to want a boatload of money. Same with Miller and Luongo. Sure, any of them would be great to have, but if I could get a serviceable goalie for considerably less than what they make, I don't think I could say no to that.

very interesting and thought provoking comments...some reactions I've had:

#1) M. Fleury/C. Ward: The question I have for the board in regards to this argument (and I agree with all the comments made on both thus far) is this - why did Yzerman/Bowman/Holland and co. chose M. Fleury to be Canada's third goalie (and their goalie of the future, essentially) when he's only months younger than Cam?

Simple answer. Ward wasn't healthy at the time of the Olympics last year and there really wasn'y anyone else to go with. Price wasn't doing great and who else is there besides them? Steve Mason couldnt do it.

I have little doubt Ward would have been the one chosen if both were healthy.

He is also statistically the worst goalie to win a cup in 20 years.

He made a lot of big saves against us in the Finals. Besides, he was very young in 2009 and still nowhere near his prime.

I don't see why you wouldn't choose him for a franchise just because you don't think he played well in those playoffs statistically. That was like 2 years ago. The question was about picking a franchise goalie for the future.

Guest blueadams

I have little doubt Ward would have been the one chosen if both were healthy.

That's bold