• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/9 GDT: Predators 4 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

Yeah because they've played so well since December. <_<

If not for the hot start early, we'd be battling for a playoff spot right now.

They're not playing like one of the top teams right now. The scary part is the effort. We have too many good players and leaders not to show up every night.

Hot start ? We've done this almost every year for the last 20 except for last year. Getting off to a good 1st 40-50 games has been a staple of what this franchise is all about. We've been prone to these 15-20 games of mediocre play before. Although mediocre around here is some spoiled delusion. Creating this buffer allows us to have a spell of injuries or average play. I'm not happy with the way we are playing but myself and the majority of non panic cases around here know it's not about how you play in Feburary it's about being healthy and playing your best hockey come April which this team and franchise has a pretty good track record of doing. On a side not I believe that Joey Mac needs to start a few more games, not because I think he's a better goalie than Howard but because Howard needs some rest before we get to the playoffs.

Yeah because they've played so well since December. <_<

If not for the hot start early, we'd be battling for a playoff spot right now.

They're not playing like one of the top teams right now. The scary part is the effort. We have too many good players and leaders not to show up every night.

It happens every year about this time (except last year). We are comfortably in the playoffs and really only have to play at about 0.500. Teams like Nashville are playing their asses off to make the playoffs. Combine this with the long season and it's almost inevitable. The Wings lose their motivation and are playing teams that are battling for their lives.

I am not excusing it only trying to explain it. My guess is that they play strong this weekend against Boston because it's an original six team and they will be excited about it.

im just gonna post this in every GDT when they lose

february of 08

BLxHA.png

Detroit was a machine that year, there is no denying it.

Detroit had a great first couple months then proceeded to piss away their sizable lead on the conference and have been terrible as a defensive team since December.

They are not comparable.

Detroit had a great first couple months then proceeded to piss away their sizable lead on the conference and have been terrible as a defensive team since December.

They are not comparable.

my point is that they had a HORRIBLE month in february in 08. Sure, they were a great team, but so is this one, really. They had 1 bad month, got out and won the cup. They can do the same thing this year. Just cuz they have been playing bad hockey for a month and a half doesnt mean its the end of the world. they do still put Ws.

Certainly i dont enjoy watching them play now, its quite ugly, but chances are they wont continue this trend, and i'll still be there when they turn the corner.

Guest Hatethedrake!

my point is that they had a HORRIBLE month in february in 08. Sure, they were a great team, but so is this one, really. They had 1 bad month, got out and won the cup. They can do the same thing this year. Just cuz they have been playing bad hockey for a month and a half doesnt mean its the end of the world. they do still put Ws.

Certainly i dont enjoy watching them play now, its quite ugly, but chances are they wont continue this trend, and i'll still be there when they turn the corner.

Looking at the big picture, I don't expect the Wings to continue playing this bad. It's pretty tough to watch right now. I believe when a team is playing this poorly that it will take some time for them to correct themselves. I see no communication between the forwards and dmen. It seems no one wants the puck right now. Too many predictable bad angle shots from long distance. Not much screening the goalie. Homer coming back will help in that area. Frankly, we're a very easy team to play against right now. We're making bad teams look good and good teams look great. It seems like we never have the puck and are chasing the other team around all the time. The power play is atrocious and predictable. Howard is not playing his best but he can't be blamed for everything.

So while I do think the Wings will find themselves again, I don't think it will happen overnight. There are just too many holes in their game right now. Good thing is, there is time to correct things. Hopefully they will be themselves again and come June we can all laugh when we recall how bad we were playing in February.

Machine is definitely the best word to describe that year. I think that's what screws with our perceptions and expectations from time to time. We can't let go of 2008. When we see today that the current state of the team does not appear as good then we bash our heads against the wall as we question why.

that '08 team was 41-10 when they went into that february slump. just saying.

that '08 team was 41-10 when they went into that february slump. just saying.

in 50 games the 08 team was 36-10-4

in 50 games this team is 31-13-6

5 fewer wins, 3 more losses, and 2 more OT losses. thats not TOO far off. this team has the ability to play great hockey, we saw that in the first 2 months of the season. im not ready to release the hounds on them like a lot of people seem to want to do, but they do have to start playing better, that much is obvious.

Edited by nate94gt

5 fewer wins, 3 more losses, and 2 more OT losses. thats not TOO far off. this team has the ability to play great hockey, we saw that in the first 2 months of the season. im not ready to release the hounds on them like a lot of people seem to want to do, but they do have to start playing better, that much is obvious.

What about 08-09?

i agree, and it's so damn frustrating to watch right now. i think that's why a lot of us seem like we're giving up on the team.

however, this team is not even close to being as good as the '08 team. i watched every single game in '08 and the wings looked alright (most of the time) in losses.

to put it bluntly: "..or you got it, or you ain't"

this team 'ain't got IT' (prove me wrong, wings)

What about 08-09?

32-11-7

5 fewer wins, 3 more losses, and 2 more OT losses. thats not TOO far off.

but in 54 games:

'08 team 40-10-4 84 points

'11 team 32-16-6 70 points

that is far off. and besides that, it's not just about the team record. it's about how they play. if the playoffs started today the wings would lose in the first round.

that is far off. and besides that, it's not just about the team record. it's about how they play. if the playoffs started today the wings would lose in the first round.

Very true. The Wings first and foremost aim to balance wins with an awareness to pace themselves for the playoffs. As part of the process, the disappointing lulls in which the way they lose (or win) as if they do not put forth much effort always causes concern among fans and even moreso for the whole organization. Now admittedly, they had some games like that during our favorite standard of judgment, 07-08, but at that time those lack of efforts seemingly appeared to occur less often than in comparison to this season and the two years before that.

Whats with all these comparisons to '08 all of a sudden? We were a damn machine that year, 2nd in goals scored, 1st in goals against. Offensively dominant, defensively suffocating.

And everyone bringing up February '08 (when yes indeed we did suck) is forgetting one tiny little detail - WE HAD 10 STARTERS INJURED!!!! Our top D-pair was Lilja-Lebda.

I'm going to repeat that for the hard of hearing. Our 1st defensive pairing was Lilja-Lebda.

Whats with all these comparisons to '08 all of a sudden? We were a damn machine that year, 2nd in goals scored, 1st in goals against. Offensively dominant, defensively suffocating.

And everyone bringing up February '08 (when yes indeed we did suck) is forgetting one tiny little detail - WE HAD 10 STARTERS INJURED!!!! Our top D-pair was Lilja-Lebda.

I'm going to repeat that for the hard of hearing. Our 1st defensive pairing was Lilja-Lebda.

why wouldn't someone who's hard of hearing be able to read it the first time?