• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Heaten

Babcock post-game interview

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

Anyone watch it? In summary, he basically said if the team doesn't want to work during the game, then he'll make damn sure they work their asses off tomorrow at practice. He is PISSED!

Mike Babcock's plan for the team tomorrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05rcGVRJius

Edited by Heaten

babcock was pissed, i don't blame him either. i would be too. my favorite part of postgame is hearing him talk. i love his comments/reactions

i love miracle, could watch that movie every day and not get sick of it. my favorite quote is in that clip, 'when you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is hell more important than the one on the back'

Edited by hokeychik22

I'm sure Babcock is aware of how players can tune out their coaches on other teams. I'm also sure he wants to keep his job as long as he can. I wonder how much he's tempered the yelling/intensity, if at all, so that the players don't tune him out and thereby necessitate a coaching change.

Here are some quote from him, for the time being:

http://redwingsfront.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/mike-babcock-rips-wings-play/

If there was ever a time to rip them a new one, it's now. This just HAS to stop. No more "oh well, we'll just make it up at the next game" crap. It's February, and we need to start thinking about the playoffs. I don't want them to wear themselves out trying to play every game like it's a Finals game (not that we have to worry about that right now!), but they need to start getting into a routine so they can have some confidence come playoffs time. Datsyuk, Cleary, and Holmstrom are back, so right now is the time to get started. Like titanium2 said, I hope Babcock's been playing it cool and saving up for an absolute Mt. Vesuvius-sized blow up because they need a little shock and awe.

Guest Heaten

Here are some quote from him, for the time being:

http://redwingsfront...ips-wings-play/

If there was ever a time to rip them a new one, it's now. This just HAS to stop. No more "oh well, we'll just make it up at the next game" crap. It's February, and we need to start thinking about the playoffs. I don't want them to wear themselves out trying to play every game like it's a Finals game (not that we have to worry about that right now!), but they need to start getting into a routine so they can have some confidence come playoffs time. Datsyuk, Cleary, and Holmstrom are back, so right now is the time to get started. Like titanium2 said, I hope Babcock's been playing it cool and saving up for an absolute Mt. Vesuvius-sized blow up because they need a little shock and awe.

Here's the exact quote:

“If we’re not going to work in games you can bet we’ll work in practice,” Babcock added. “We’re going to get some work ethic back because there’s no way we’re going to have 22,000 people watching us play like this. That’s absolutely unacceptable.”

I'm actually unsure as to the ones who aren't playing with much work ethic. It's not just one guy but I don't think it's every guy.

Helm, Eaves and Draper. They work hard, everyone else could use a nice bagskate. I dont care about how talented they are or anything, comes down to how bad you want it, and right now watching the last 6 or so games doesnt look like are guys want it very much. Lots of time to get that turned around, they just gotta do it.

After the 2 shutouts I was telling a friend how I hoped they got worked hard in practice. Im talking worked so hard the majority of them are puking so their lazy asses can learn a lesson. These past few games have been absolutely unacceptable.

I'm actually unsure as to the ones who aren't playing with much work ethic. It's not just one guy but I don't think it's every guy.

Bert is one person that I can think of right away. I think we overextended his role and what he can bring day in and day out. He is not a bad depth guy 2nd liner on good days 3rd liner most days but we over worked him. A game up in the rafters will do him some good IMO.

E and Raf come to my mind as well (really all of our dmen). E had a stretch where he got going but now his level of play is going back to where it was at the start of the season. Raf I just wanna slap sometimes.

Lidstrom has started to slow down and looked average a few games. I think it was the last Nashville game where he let someone go wide on him and get to the net which resulted in a goal.

Hudler is still doing his season long yo yo act. Good one game hardly noticeable the next.

Something I think that is really funny was Kronwall's intermission interview today. He said guys need to look themselves in the mirror and play harder. That's nice and all speaking it but you have to practice what you preach. For these guys to know what the issues are but actually not trying to improve says a lot.

babcock was pissed, i don't blame him either. i would be too. my favorite part of postgame is hearing him talk. i love his comments/reactions

i love miracle, could watch that movie every day and not get sick of it. my favorite quote is in that clip, 'when you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is hell more important than the one on the back'

Which is why I love that when the Wings win, the logo of their jersey is hung facing outward, and when they lose, their names face out.

The best part of Babs' post-game interview: The game was "beyond ridiculous." I'm all for him saying that their play was crap and unacceptable, but actually DO something about it, Babs. The definition of insanity is doing the SAME thing over and over and expecting a different result, and from what I've seen since '08, hammering on the same point and following the same strategies is NOT working. Change your tactics somehow because otherwise your whole staff should be fitted with white jackets.

The people I see hustling all game (as of the last 3 or 4 games) are Datsyuk, Helm, Draper, Hudler (weird), and Filppula.

The problem is our higher paid players are playing with little enthusiasm and little determination. I got blasted by a few people in the GDT of Franzen's five goal night by saying it was nice to see him try for once this season. It was an over exaggeration, but the guy floats 59 minutes a game. Zetterberg is invisible most the game and as much as we love our energy guys, they haven't been doing much lately either. I'm not even going to touch the D because it seems like our coaches are telling them to do new and different things every game.

Our coaches are speaking Japanese and writing s*** right to left and down to up and no one is understanding what the funk is going on. They need to get on the same page and all speak Spanish!

Gentlemen, they don't have the talent to get by on talent alone. ...apparently.

No one in the league has the talent to get buy without working hard as a team in the playoffs. That s*** can fly in the regular season (see 08-09) but hard work and team play wins in the playoffs.

Personally I think our roster needs a shakeup... I think too many of our players have become comfortable and as a result complacent... I know we have the loyalty thing going on and that we have good long term contracts for core players, etc but some of the secondary guys like Huds, E, Salei, Bert, Miller, Eaves etc are expendable (replaceable) and a trade sends a message to the entire team not just the guys being shown the door. I'm not suggesting blowing the team up, far from it but a trade can inject some new blood and light some fires under asses.

Edited by mackel

The people I see hustling all game (as of the last 3 or 4 games) are Datsyuk, Helm, Draper, Hudler (weird), and Filppula.

The problem is our higher paid players are playing with little enthusiasm and little determination. I got blasted by a few people in the GDT of Franzen's five goal night by saying it was nice to see him try for once this season. It was an over exaggeration, but the guy floats 59 minutes a game. Zetterberg is invisible most the game and as much as we love our energy guys, they haven't been doing much lately either. I'm not even going to touch the D because it seems like our coaches are telling them to do new and different things every game.

Our coaches are speaking Japanese and writing s*** right to left and down to up and no one is understanding what the funk is going on. They need to get on the same page and all speak Spanish!

Zetterberg is the hardest working person on the team... I would argue it is his line mates, not him.

Bert is one person that I can think of right away. I think we overextended his role and what he can bring day in and day out. He is not a bad depth guy 2nd liner on good days 3rd liner most days but we over worked him. A game up in the rafters will do him some good IMO.

E and Raf come to my mind as well (really all of our dmen). E had a stretch where he got going but now his level of play is going back to where it was at the start of the season. Raf I just wanna slap sometimes.

Lidstrom has started to slow down and looked average a few games. I think it was the last Nashville game where he let someone go wide on him and get to the net which resulted in a goal.

Hudler is still doing his season long yo yo act. Good one game hardly noticeable the next.

Something I think that is really funny was Kronwall's intermission interview today. He said guys need to look themselves in the mirror and play harder. That's nice and all speaking it but you have to practice what you preach. For these guys to know what the issues are but actually not trying to improve says a lot.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Our D starting from our top 4 has not been good in their own zone. We do not have a shut-down D tandem... period. I would love Rafalski and Kronwall if they could actually play in their own end, but they can't. Rafalski in particular is a huge waste of 6 mil at this point.

time for suicides :thumbup:

having never been an athlete myself, i at first thought you were glibly suggesting that members of the wings actually commit seppuku. :scared:

then, my repressed memories of middle school gym class resurfaced and i realized what you were talking about. now, instead of thinking you are a terrible person, i fully agree with you. :thumbup: