• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Heaten

Babcock post-game interview

Rate this topic

The Predators always make us look bad, because they are younger, faster, and skate every shift with more desire, which is the most noticeable thing. I think everyone on this team thinks the next line will pick them up when they don't give 100%, and on nights when no line can get it going, you get nights like this. Horrible.

Babs ought to make them all watch the entire game on replay. All 60 minutes of it. Make the boys suffer through watching every little lazy and sucks detail, like we have to. And he should have one of these positioned next to every man......

istockphoto_7294959-perfect-orange-pylon-safety-cone-high-view-clipping-path.jpg

Finally! I've been sick of the "we didn't start on time, but got better. just no puck luck. keep doing what you're doing and eventually...." bull Babcock has been saying for the last two seasons. I think everyone has gotten way too comfortable with themselves. They went from being far and away the hardest working team in the league, winning a cup doing so, to slowly becoming lazy floaters because they thought they could make it up in the offensive end.

The whole team has played without urgency and its disgusting. But Howard hasn't been great either... :P

This is the bottom line and flame me all you want... Forwards are to soft, I am not begging for an enforcer or even making this a NA s. EUR thing, they are just too soft, even Bertuzzi. Defense absolutely sucks! They've sucked for years, even 2008, too many offensive defensmen, Ericsson is NOT the next best thing and like it or not Stuart is the best defensman on this team. Lids is not playing up to par, but he is almost 41 now, that can be expected. McCrimmon has got to go. Goal-tending is good, but not great. Jimmy makes some timely saves, but he cannot stop everything with this sub-par defense, and he eventually gets tired and lets in some stinkers and has mental mistakes. Someone above said this team needs a shakeup, that's agreeable, but really it needs more like an earthquake. Where to start? I couldn't tell you, because of all the long term contracts and loyalty going on, it's gonna be hard to get this fixed for this or next season...

What I think they need?

Lights out #1 goalie, two DEFENSIVE defensmen, and a ligit sniper than can score pretty much at will. BUT, with the cap space they have eaten up, there is no way of getting that all at once. Ken Holland has a ton of decisions to be made in the off season. Goaltending (Nobakov is still a possibility) defense ( I still like trying to sign Wisniewski) then go from there up front... baby steps. Oh yeah, Trade Hudler and Fire McCrimmon...

Roster is fine, the problem is you have to go and work hard while also playing a smart game. Right now they aren't doing either consistently for 60 mins.

They will be fine and long term if they can right this ship say ten games out of the playoffs everything is in the right place.

Guest Hatethedrake!

It seems like all season Babs has been saying things like WE NEED TO START ON TIME and WE NEED TO ENGAGE PHYSICALLY and WE NEED TO OUTWORK OUR OPPONENTS...Then the team goes out and craps the bed like they did last night. Do the players actually listen to what Babs is telling them? Something doesn't add up that's for sure.

Stuart might be the best defensive D man on our team but certainly not the best overall D man. Every season they have a point like this, where they play average for a while and the fans flip out. I see Holland bringing in a defenseman and probably a back up goalie. The red wings will be fine come playoff time.

It seems like all season Babs has been saying things like WE NEED TO START ON TIME and WE NEED TO ENGAGE PHYSICALLY and WE NEED TO OUTWORK OUR OPPONENTS...Then the team goes out and craps the bed like they did last night. Do the players actually listen to what Babs is telling them? Something doesn't add up that's for sure.

This.

Seems like they are doing the opposite.

Every season they have a point like this, where they play average for a while and the fans flip out.

Its so funny because they will be in 2nd or 3rd place and take a dive for 5-10 games and people just go nuts. All of the sudden all the players suck and all need to be traded.

In 08 I seem to remember they played some terrible hockey right before the playoffs and fans were having a meltdown talking about a first round sweep.

Its a long season and sometimes your just going to suck for a little while.

It sounded like a wake up call, even Babs knows that his players can do better than this. In my opinion it's just a lack of confidence and work ethic. If you know that you are playing in a "top dog" team, there is the possibility that sometimes you start thinking that you are going to win games easily, which is not positive... everybody knows how in this leaugue is tough to win.

Hope they are going to play better.

I'm also tired of hearing Nick say, "We got off to a slow start but once we got our legs going I thought we got better as the game went along." <_<

I'm also tired of hearing Nick say, "We got off to a slow start but once we got our legs going I thought we got better as the game went along." <_<

Ya... someone needs to make him a new flash card.

I'm also sick of the "We can't worry about what the other team is doing, we need to play our game and we'll be fine" line. Haven't heard Nick use that one much, but everyone else does.

Did someone in this thread really suggest that Stuart is a better defenseman than Lidstrom?

Man, losing sucks, but I didn't know it made people stupid.

It's time for Babcock to earn his salary. This is what coaches get paid for.

I'm also sick of the "We can't worry about what the other team is doing, we need to play our game and we'll be fine" line. Haven't heard Nick use that one much, but everyone else does.

I've only heard Babs say that and while I think that's what they should believe inside I still hate to hear it.

Nick definitely needs to say something in the locker room. He doesn't need to scream and throw things, but he needs to lead this damn team because right now, this team is clearly rudderless and floating in circles.

Nick definitely needs to say something in the locker room. He doesn't need to scream and throw things, but he needs to lead this damn team because right now, this team is clearly rudderless and floating in circles.

I disagree. Nick needs to start grabbing throats right now. :ph34r:

If Babcock wants to do the "one game at a time" thing, that's fine, it's a good strategy for the team, but I always have to think about the big picture. I'm not ready to give up on them, and there is no reason that they can't get back to where they were in the first part of the season, IF they want to. I know that's a big if, but if they're going to improve and be in good shape for the playoffs, it's got to start now. I, too, would like them to win one game, and that's a good start, but it takes getting into a rhythm and getting a little chemistry back to do that, and it takes time to develop it.

Anyway, I guess Babs didn't work them too, too hard in practice since they have to play a game tomorrow. From Abel to Yzerman:

Here’s a practice report from the Detroit News’s Tim Twentyman, who reports that the Wings did do some wind sprints from the faceoff circles to the bluelines and then back to the middle of the rink:

“We earned the right to skate for a long, long time,” Babcock said after practice. “We had a good little brisk skate today. We only went for 30 minutes and the reason we did that is because we play tomorrow (Friday, at Boston) and play two days later and the wins are what it’s about. I think everyone got the message.” “I’m disappointed,” Babcock said of Wednesday’s 4-1 thumping by Nashville at Joe Louis Arena. “We are a better team than this and I’d like to think we’re a better coaching staff than this to have our team play like this.”

As much as I thought they kinda deserved the skate & puke treatment, that works better when you have a whole year to train and don't have to play a game until the Olympics.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Well we're facing a very good Boston team back to back so we'll see if they got Babs' message. Hopefully for once they practise what he preaches.

Skip to 3:36

I hope someone said it like that honestly.

Edited by dragonballgtz