82 replies to this topic

#1 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

The Dreger Report from this morning:

2) At the moment, Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland isn't looking to shake things up. But if his team doesn't improve defensively over the next two weeks, Holland says he may have to do something.

Holland doesn't like the way his team has played the past six weeks, even though Detroit sits second in the Western Conference standings behind Vancouver and third overall.

The Red Wings GM says Detroit is giving up too many goals. Calgary, Columbus, Colorado and Edmonton are the only teams in the West to have given up more goals this season than Detroit.

Holland added he will monitor the play of his team and weigh that against who's available on the trade market before making a decision in a couple of weeks.

3) If Holland is looking for help on his blue line, at least two teams are willing to listen.

The Carolina Hurricanes would consider moving Joe Corvo, Joni Pitkanen or Ian White, but sources say the Canes would need to get a defenceman in return as part of the compensation.

Meanwhile, interest in New York Islanders defenceman Radek Martinek is starting to grow.

Isles GM Garth Snow is asking for a second round draft pick in return.

Edited by wingsdiehard13, 11 February 2011 - 12:19 PM.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#2 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

The Dreger Report from this morning:

Good read

In reply to the article though - I don't think Holland will be dealing with the Islanders anytime soon, unless the deal HEAVILY favors Detroit and Martinek for a 2nd sure as hell isn't that...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#3 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

Good read

In reply to the article though - I don't think Holland will be dealing with the Islanders anytime soon, unless the deal HEAVILY favors Detroit and Martinek for a 2nd sure as hell isn't that...

I agree, a 2nd for Martinek is a stretch... Somebody will probably get desperate and ante up at the deadline though.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#4 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Good read

Personally, I think Kenny doesn't hold anything against Snow for claiming Nabakov (I'm assuming that's what you were implying). I mean, there was a reeeeeal good chance he was going to get claimed, and I'm glad it was by the Isles and not a western conference playoff fringe team.

#5 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

Dreger is almost always a good read.

Since I doubt our defense will improve over the next two weeks:

Make it happen, Kenny!
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#6 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

If a trade is in the works, I'd rather Hollad keep the draft picks and trade prospect(s) - Musak, Emmerton, Kindl, Abdelkader to name a few. Unless, one of the trade opportunities is a Weber or a Suter (which is highly unlikely).

EDIT: I think Wings need a goalie more than a defensemen.

Edited by Heaten, 11 February 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#7 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

If a trade is in the works, I'd rather Hollad keep the draft picks and trade prospect(s) - Musak, Emmerton, Kindl, Abdelkader to name a few. Unless, one of the trade opportunities is a Weber or a Suter (which is highly unlikely).

EDIT: I think Wings need a goalie more than a defensemen.

Our defense has been invisible... when your goalie has to make 47 saves to get a win there is a significant problem with the defense.

#8 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

Personally, I think Kenny doesn't hold anything against Snow for claiming Nabakov (I'm assuming that's what you were implying). I mean, there was a reeeeeal good chance he was going to get claimed, and I'm glad it was by the Isles and not a western conference playoff fringe team.

I'm not going to try and know what Holland is thinking, but if I were him, I would be peeved with Snow, because claiming Nabby made no sense - I would have understood it MORE and harbored no ill will, if a legit team claimed him... yes, he was almost certainly going to get claimed by someone else, but it's just the poor tact of NY and Snow that would irk me if I were a fellow GM... with that said, I'm glad he didn't go to a WC team either...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

Holland doesn't hold anything against Snow because it was a legal move. However, I don't think the Isles would be stupid enough to think that we would let them steal Nabakov AND a second round pick for anyone on their team.

I find it interesting that only Carolina would expect a defenseman in return? I recognize the names being tossed around, but don't know much about them.

Can anyone sum up Corvo and Pitkanen?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Our defense has been invisible... when your goalie has to make 47 saves to get a win there is a significant problem with the defense.

Our D will improve considerably when Stuart returns... and the 47 shot game is a bit of an anomaly... it's the soft goals and poor rebound control that Howard has shown lately that concerns me, not the goals he has no chance on... with that said, I think Howie will be fine and we don't need to find a new starter, but I think we most certainly need to look for a legit backup, just in case.

Holland doesn't hold anything against Snow because it was a legal move. However, I don't think the Isles would be stupid enough to think that we would let them steal Nabakov AND a second round pick for anyone on their team.

I find it interesting that only Carolina would expect a defenseman in return? I recognize the names being tossed around, but don't know much about them.

Can anyone sum up Corvo and Pitkanen?

I'd send Kindl and a pick/prospect to Carolina for Pitkanen in a second...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#11 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

As a sidenote, if we're looking to add to the D, I just pulled off a 3 team deal in NHL 11, where I sent Miller and Pyett to Washington for Matt Bradley and then sent Bradley and Kindl to Boston for Boychuck and a 1st round pick in 2011, so that's completely feasible in real life, right?
:rolleyes: :blink: :ph34r:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#12 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

I don't see why people think Stuart coming back is going to save the defense, it was terrible when he was in it, too.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#13 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

I don't see why people think Stuart coming back is going to save the defense, it was terrible when he was in it, too.

Because it will get Kindl off the ice and even out the minutes... it was a hell of a lot better before he went down... the point I'm driving at, is what "trade bait" that's out there right now, would improve our D over what we currently have and with the capspace available? The issues are fundamental and we have a great D core, they just have to get back to basics...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#14 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

if kenny gets a d man hopefully its a crease clearer.

on second thought, what about staios?? i have heard his name mentioned about being moved and i think he is the type of heart and soul guy this team needs. think of the defense version of drake.

Edited by redwingfan19, 11 February 2011 - 02:48 PM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#15 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

I would like to see Rafalski exit Detroit..but NTC and lack of Powerplay replacement says he wont go anywhere, which is a bummer because he's not very solid defensively anymore at 5 mil..

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski, Stuart, Ericsson, Salei, Kindl.. I can think of four reasons why the defense is playing like s***... 1. Rafalski 2. Ericsson 3. Kindl 4. Defensive coach... Players dont seem to be developing once they get to the big club (Ericsson, Kindl) .. ever since they hired him, the defenseman seem to be lost at times..
I'm not for a shakeup... but i think some big changes need to be made. Not necessarily now, but come offseason.. i think it'd be wise to make some changes.. But, i'm just a fan..

#16 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

And his 12 saves on 16 shots getting pulled on 4 goals is ok last game?

Those 3 defense mentioned reek one worse then the other. We better not get any of them. We need hard hitting guys who clear net, block shots, etc... Another Stuart type. He's the only one we have in that mold. Salei has been a disappointment. Ericsson forget about him, and kronwall I don't even notice defensively anymore!

#17 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

I would like to see Rafalski exit Detroit..but NTC and lack of Powerplay replacement says he wont go anywhere, which is a bummer because he's not very solid defensively anymore at 5 mil..

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski, Stuart, Ericsson, Salei, Kindl.. I can think of four reasons why the defense is playing like s***... 1. Rafalski 2. Ericsson 3. Kindl 4. Defensive coach... Players dont seem to be developing once they get to the big club (Ericsson, Kindl) .. ever since they hired him, the defenseman seem to be lost at times..
I'm not for a shakeup... but i think some big changes need to be made. Not necessarily now, but come offseason.. i think it'd be wise to make some changes.. But, i'm just a fan..

Rafalski's making 6 million, but with that said, he's worth every penny when he's paired with a big, stay at home d-man...

Edited by stevkrause, 11 February 2011 - 03:01 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#18 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

if kenny gets a d man hopefully its a crease clearer.

on second thought, what about staios?? i have heard his name mentioned about being moved and i think he is the type of heart and soul guy this team needs. think of the defense version of drake.

$2.7 million cap hit. 37 years old. Had to play as a forward recently because he doesn't fit into the Flames' top six anymore, and only just came back from missing 25 games with shoulder and rib injuries. He's also been a healthy scratch for the last week.

On the upside a 29-year old Staios would have been a good player for the Wings if they didn't have to worry about the salary cap. But now he's simply run out of things to offer to an NHL team as a player.

#19 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Because it will get Kindl off the ice and even out the minutes... it was a hell of a lot better before he went down... the point I'm driving at, is what "trade bait" that's out there right now, would improve our D over what we currently have and with the capspace available? The issues are fundamental and we have a great D core, they just have to get back to basics...

That's false actually. Only about 2 games did Lidstrom play way more than usually. Minutes played for each D pair are the same since Stuart got injured,

#20 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

quite surprising to me. either way its a good move. gets some of the defense men wondering if their job is safe