• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Ideally I'd like Chris Phillips. Solid defensive defenseman which, in my opinion, is our biggest need. Although, goaltending is a close second, but I don't know if there is a feasible goalie to be had at the deadline that's an upgrade over Howard.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#22 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

Ideally I'd like Chris Phillips. Solid defensive defenseman which, in my opinion, is our biggest need. Although, goaltending is a close second, but I don't know if there is a feasible goalie to be had at the deadline that's an upgrade over Howard.

Vokoun? Would cost us but it would def be an upgrade.

#23 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

quite surprising to me. either way its a good move. gets some of the defense men wondering if their job is safe

I agree with this. I'd be thrilled if his statements just acted as a small 2x4 between their eyes and got the lead out at the other end.

It's called Team Work, boyz.... <_<

Edited by Vladifan, 11 February 2011 - 04:28 PM.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#24 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

Somebody that is big and will clear the crease, and block shots (Lilja X2 please!!!) like a mofo.

Posted Image

#25 Feldmarschall

Feldmarschall

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Thing about the Canes is that they probably want the same thing we do - better shutdown defense. Joe Corvo is a good offensive defenseman, Pitkanen has been stamped with the underachiever tag but has good offensive instincts and doesn't use his size much on defense. White isn't very big. McBain is offensively inclined. The Canes only have two proper defensive guys in Gleason and Harrison and they're just allowing a lot of goals as a team. Only one full-time defenseman on their roster is running a positive +/-. I don't really see them having anything we'd want, or us having anything they'd want in exchange as a D swap.

Martinek is no better than anyone on the Wings' current roster. Certainly not worth a second round pick.

Previous posters have said it best - we need a better shutdown element, more effort, and better breakouts. It comes down to the players trying harder, and some better defensive coaching would go a long way. Lately, guys have been losing their coverage. There's also very little puck support. The Wings are content to watch one of their number hack away in the corner with two or three opposing players, with predictable results.

I'd like to see Chris Phillips here too, if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

#26 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

Personally, I think Kenny doesn't hold anything against Snow for claiming Nabakov (I'm assuming that's what you were implying).

I agree. Kenny is a great businessman, and that was just business. You can't let your emotions interfere in business matters, or you won't get too far.

#27 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

The Dreger Report from this morning:

OK, Jakub Kindl and Jiri Hudler for Joe Corvo. Then somehow get Wisneiwski...

Vokoun? Would cost us but it would def be an upgrade.

I too would love to see Vokoun here, BUT he makes over $5M, it would cost us dearly to clear that much cap space!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#28 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

The problem isn't with the players, IMO. McCrimmon is seriously horrible.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#29 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Stuart will be back in couple of weeks - he will be our trade deadline addition...

But, if we can get Carkner from Sens, that would be HUGE upgrade...

OK, Jakub Kindl and Jiri Hudler for Joe Corvo. Then somehow get Wisneiwski...

I too would love to see Vokoun here, BUT he makes over $5M, it would cost us dearly to clear that much cap space!

I like Corvo but there is no way I would trade Kindl for him.
Wiz isn't going anywhere - HABS are in love with his -18 (or something)...

Holland should trade for Carkner or Mart Stuart (Bruins)...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#30 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

Vokoun has never won a playoff series. I don't know if he's an upgrade over Howard who's just in a slump. Go and get Phillips and Neil. Neil actually has decent touch around the net. That would be the best case scenario for us.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#31 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

Stuart will be back in couple of weeks - he will be our trade deadline addition...

But, if we can get Carkner from Sens, that would be HUGE upgrade...

I like Corvo but there is no way I would trade Kindl for him.
Wiz isn't going anywhere - HABS are in love with his -18 (or something)...

Holland should trade for Carkner or Mart Stuart (Bruins)...

Haven't seen Carkner play much but he's been a healthy scratch on more than several occasions this year. Was that just to get some offense or is he not that great?

#32 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

We don't need offense from the back end.

Posted Image

#33 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

Haven't seen Carkner play much but he's been a healthy scratch on more than several occasions this year. Was that just to get some offense or is he not that great?

Carkner isn't exactly Paul Coffey in 1995 but he's a good back up just in case we lose a D man like in the past.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

Well he played so far 45 games... isn't that bad?! He's stay at home DEF, who blocks shots, hits, fights... Imagine Ericsson and Carkner as 3rd par of D... NICE
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#35 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

Well he played so far 45 games... isn't that bad?! He's stay at home DEF, who blocks shots, hits, fights... Imagine Ericsson and Carkner as 3rd par of D... NICE

Yes. Matt Carkner - definitely a HUGE upgrade.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#36 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

My link

Yes. Matt Carkner - definitely a HUGE upgrade.

We don't need spectacular DEF - we need HONEST def

#37 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

pitkanen would be good, cole would be easier to land, hell no to corvo please no
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#38 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Detroit needs a defenceman that knows his damn role. We have a bunch of guys trying to play all offensive when they shouldn't.

Salei is doing too much with the puck and Kindl is not strong defensively at all.

Improving our D should start with moving Kindl, he has some nice hands but he makes too many mistakes and is bad in his end.

Chris Phillips would be great. He and Salei could really be a great bottom pairing and allow a lot of option for line matching. I bet the defence wnot improve and we will finally see some new blood on this team. Bye bye Kindl or bbye bye Hudler

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

The problem isn't with the players, IMO. McCrimmon is seriously horrible.

:blink:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#40 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Get Vokoun and then resign him with the money made available when Lidstrom retires after we win the cup. With Vokoun in goal, we'd almost surely be cup champions!